Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Architectural Plans for Historic Homes.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Architectural Plans for Historic Homes.

I was wondering in anyone had suggestions as to where I can find architectural plans for historic homes? I have seen diagrams of the fronts of buildings and such, but nothing that includes floor plans or construction drawings.

Mainly I am looking for styles that were popular from 1880 to 1930.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    If your not looking for any particular building try searching ebay for "home plans" or "house plans". This should bring up a few catalogs that were put out by building companies that will offer floor plans, a decent picture of the house and a few details.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    If your not looking for any particular building try searching ebay for "home plans" or "house plans". This should bring up a few catalogs that were put out by building companies that will offer floor plans, a decent picture of the house and a few details.
    Downfall with that is it is almost all modern architecture. If I wanted to know the building plans of a ranch home, I am set. However Queen Anne, Italianate, Victorian, and even Craftsman homes are not constructed in the same way anymore.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I've seen reproduction books of bungalow house plans. These house styles were very popular from 1910 to 1930 because of these pattern books and people had enough money to build them. The books include floor plans but not all the interior details and built-ins that these homes are known for. America still had a lot of real craftsmen then and they didn't need a book to show them how to finish out and trim a home. Just about any Barnes & Noble or Borders book store should have a copy.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Is this more what your looking for? http://http://cgi.ebay.com/RADFORDS-...QQcmdZViewItem

Registered
    Aug 2001
    About.com has some good links to historic plans (and some books that you can get at the library or something).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    Is this more what your looking for? http://http://cgi.ebay.com/RADFORDS-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Kind of... but not so much for Bungalows, more so looking for larger Victorian age plans.

More like this...

or this...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Well if your after really old, really big, my uni's architecture library has a set of plans for Windsor Castle...
    The things take like half a shelf.

but seriously, have you tried just rooting through your nearest college library?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    do a google search for sears kit homes.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 11 Oct 2012, 2:50 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 9:57 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Apr 2008, 4:09 PM
  4. Replies: 18