Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Drunken Announcements

  1. #1
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,805

    Drunken Announcements

    CIODIW!!!!!
    or should it be:
    HEID!!!!

    These are the abbreviation/acronyms that should stand for "Check It Out Dude, I'm Wasted" and "Hey Everybody, I'm Drunk"

    Many of us have in some form or other made the above pronouncements. Maybe we were laughing out loud with the windows rolled down in our pickup truck while peeling out of the parking lot of Walt's Tavern or maybe we stumbled into the barracks at 2 am, turned on all the lights and howled like a wolf or shouted "yeah, baby!" for all to hear (I may myself have engaged in such antics). I swear there even used to be thread in the FAC once called something like the "neverending I'm drunk thread" devoted to this purpose.

    Generally, but not always, this type of behavior is exhibited by younger folks in their teens/20's. The web is is filled to the brim with millions of photos documenting 'drunken times' - usually showing a group of people with drink in hand and in various states of sobriety.... like this -

    My question: WHY is this such a seemingly universal expression, drawing attention to one's self in this state? Why do folks feel compelled to do this?

    NOTE: No one is judging here, just trying to better understand the causes behind this phenomenon.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  2. #2
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    8,449

    dude

    I don't know, but reading your thread post did really make me laugh out loud at my desk

    I guess for some people, if they don't do it that often, like me, it's one of those "I can't f-in believe it, I'm trashed"

    so yeah, it's a good puzzler - maybe the students can tell us old folks -

  3. #3
    Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    8,183
    [stands up]"I am the captain and pilot of this Booze Cruise.......yeaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!"[/falls over]
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

    Six seasons and a movie!

  4. #4
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Section 14-12-7, 3rd PM
    Posts
    2,096
    Is that pic from San Antonio?

  5. #5
    Cyburbian SW MI Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,164
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    My question: WHY is this such a seemingly universal expression, drawing attention to one's self in this state?
    Probably for the same reason people (maybe it is just girls) tells everyone "I love you!!", when they are intoxicated.

  6. #6
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,805
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    I don't know, but reading your thread post did really make me laugh out loud at my desk

    I guess for some people, if they don't do it that often, like me, it's one of those "I can't f-in believe it, I'm trashed"

    so yeah, it's a good puzzler - maybe the students can tell us old folks -
    It is a puzzler and as I mentioned in the OP, I've done this kind of thing myself and still can't say exactly why.

    The Japanese famously overlook public displays of drunkeness. You could be at a four star gourmet restaurant and find some electronics company executive crawling around on all fours acting like a dog barking and sniffing people's butts, but everyone around will make an effort to ignore the individual and act like it isn't happening. Historically, they believed a 'kami' (spirit) took hold of a person while drunk and should therefore not be held accountable for their actions while in this state. More recently it is simply part of the accepted culture and there is the widespread belief/opinion that men working in high pressure jobs (remember, ones' job is how most Japanese men define their identities through) need the release and are expected on occasion to get staggering drunk in public.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  7. #7
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,547
    Blog entries
    3
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    [SIZE="7"]
    HEID!!!!
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!


  8. #8
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    8,449
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    The Japanese famously overlook public displays of drunkeness. You could be at a four star gourmet restaurant and find some electronics company executive crawling around on all fours acting like a dog barking and sniffing people's butts, but everyone around will make an effort to ignore the individual and act like it isn't happening. Historically, they believed a 'kami' (spirit) took hold of a person while drunk and should therefore not be held accountable for their actions while in this state. More recently it is simply part of the accepted culture and there is the widespread belief/opinion that men working in high pressure jobs (remember, ones' job is how most Japanese men define their identities through) need the release and are expected on occasion to get staggering drunk in public.
    I remember seeing this when we were in Japan -

    It may be the "truth serum" quality of alcohol -

    or it's an announcement that, since I am drunk, I get to act like an idiot

    and yeah, we've all done it I am sure

    and OMG Dan, that is so funny!

  9. #9
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,285
    Um.... I grew up in the UP, was in a Fraternity, and I am a skier/ snowboarding, hockey lovin’ Irishman... I am sure I have no idea what any of you are talking about.




















    I have been inebriated a time or two and have done things that looking back, might not have been the best idea in the world.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  10. #10
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,805
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Probably for the same reason people (maybe it is just girls) tells everyone "I love you!!", when they are intoxicated.
    You bring up a very interesting related point. There appears to be some gender related differences in how this gets expressed. Do women intend this remark as the ultimate expression of benevolence? I know that if you heard a guy saying this it would be followed up with "come on up to my place"

    Dudes and chicks act differently while trashed. Drunken women tend to giggle a whole lot more than guys do.

    (and Dan, can you maybe post a link to the closed thread I'm talking about?)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  11. #11
    Cyburbian jordanb's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    City of Low Low Wages!
    Posts
    3,236
    My sister is a drunk caller.

    You know, when she gets sloshed she starts dialing every number in her cellphone.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian illinoisplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    The Fox Valley
    Posts
    4,664
    Blog entries
    1
    My singing and dancing skills apparently increase tenfold when I am intoxicated.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

  13. #13
    Cyburbian SW MI Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,164
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    My sister is a drunk caller.

    You know, when she gets sloshed she starts dialing every number in her cellphone.
    I think that is another example of a drunk female thing.

  14. #14
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,015
    Blog entries
    2

    The old UNC Ski Trip...

    One time, my two buddies and a walked the length of the town of Winter Park shouting/singing Just A Gigolo.

    I think it was Louis Prima's version; however, and not David Lee Roth's.

    When the end comes I know
    I'm just a gigolo....
    Life goes on... without me.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  15. #15
    maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Location
    Odd-a-wah
    Posts
    6,586
    Maister, I've always assumed you were drunk whenever I read one of your posts.

  16. #16
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    I think that is another example of a drunk female thing.
    No, not always. I had a male friend in grad school who did this all the time to me. Very irritating.

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Plan-it's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2005
    Location
    In the Peach State
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

    The WhoooHoooo girls (as they are known in my fair city) are also found in the back of convetables or with half of their body through a sunroof/window in order to perform their night reverly calling. It is one of the ubiquitous signs of spring.
    Satellite City Enabler

  18. #18
    Cyburbian LadyBuc's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it
    The WhoooHoooo girls (as they are known in my fair city) are also found in the back of convetables or with half of their body through a sunroof/window in order to perform their night reverly calling. It is one of the ubiquitous signs of spring.
    Here is one now: my german friend at my wedding last May. All my male friends thought she was a hoot...

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Petra.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	3543
    Bring on Spring Training...

  19. #19
    Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    8,183
    Quote Originally posted by LadyBuc
    Here is one now: my german friend at my wedding last May. All my male friends thought she was a hoot...
    That's not ZG, is it?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

    Six seasons and a movie!

  20. #20
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    I think it is because drinking lowers inhibitions and let's one express oneself and one's emotions more than is normally socially acceptable. And, just as an animal that has been penned up will be wilder when let loose than one that normally has room to run, people who are usually emotionally pent up have a lot to get out of their system and it all comes flooding out.

  21. #21
    Cyburbian LadyBuc's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    That's not ZG, is it?
    Nope , even though she was in attendance with RJ, she did manage to keep her clothes on her body AND dry...
    Bring on Spring Training...

  22. #22
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Um.... I grew up in the UP, was in a Fraternity, and I am a skier/ snowboarding, hockey lovin’ Irishman... I am sure I have no idea what any of you are talking about.
    And here I thought you were polish....
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

  23. #23
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,805
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I think it is because drinking lowers inhibitions and let's one express oneself and one's emotions more than is normally socially acceptable. And, just as an animal that has been penned up will be wilder when let loose than one that normally has room to run, people who are usually emotionally pent up have a lot to get out of their system and it all comes flooding out.
    So you're saying you agree with the Japanese view or perhaps (using a Freudian model) are suggesting booze supresses the supergo and permits the id to run rampant?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  24. #24
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    So you're saying you agree with the Japanese view or perhaps (using a Freudian model) are suggesting booze supresses the supergo and permits the id to run rampant?
    To some extent, yes. But I am also suggesting that there is a lot of sickness in the world.

    My children both fit the profile for Asperger's Syndrome. So I spend a lot of time explaining social stuff to them. My oldest is not very emotional and he has a very hard time comprehending why people "socialize" -- why they make meaningless chit-chat just to be together. Just yesterday, he and I were talking about that. The metaphor I gave him was about how lawns that get watered a little every day grow shallow roots and need to keep getting watered a little every day in order to survive. Plants with deeper roots are more drought-resistent and more resilient but the way you get that is to water less often but more deeply. His response "Oh, so that's what loneliness is".

    I get a lot of bizarre reactions from people who, at times, latch onto me like I am their best friend when I barely know them. I think the reason is that I deal with people's emotions at a deeper level than just the surface stuff and I think it meets emotional needs which usually are unmet, even though -- to ME -- the interaction may have been rather casual and superficial.

    Or, as someone once said, most folks live lives of quiet desperation. Some of that comes out when drunk. The rest of the time, they remain quiet about their sense of desperation, not knowing how to get their needs met and feeling ashamed for it -- like it suggests they are "stupid" or incompetent when all it really suggests is that society is sick.

  25. #25
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,562
    When when i get on the turps, the following are typical things for myself to do

    Sing at karoke
    Text message people, who i know i shouldnt (the phone company has a bar for me to use now)
    Hug people
    introduce myself to random people (wait, i dont have to be drunk to do this anymore!)
    and get pushed from clubs in wheely bins...

    I tend to agree with MZ on this one, the alcohol must bring up some supressed socially not quite acceptable behaviours, that i must be inclined to do!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Announcements rules
    Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Oct 2011, 9:02 AM
  2. Announcements - 9 July 2002
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Jul 2002, 1:28 AM
  3. Announcements - 7 July 2002
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Jul 2002, 11:49 PM