Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drunken Announcements

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    My singing and dancing skills apparently increase tenfold when I am intoxicated.
    Good one.

BTW.....Republicans often dance around the issues.

Your Amish Sim Pal, Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I usually refrain from drinking myself to oblivion but there has been a time or two....

Once I was quite drunk (ok it was New Year's eve) and in a club and I met a man from Iraq who didn't drink and he was ever so sweet while I yammered on about U.S. Middle East policy and sanctions, refugees, and political asylees. I remembered very little about the conversation but it ended up he was roomates with a guy I used to work with. He asked me out when I was sober the next day because he said that if I could hold that kind of conversation while drunk I must be 100 times better sober. We dated a year and a half. (This was in 1996)

The other time I went out with one guy and we met up with two of his friends. One of his friends kept buying me shots and challenging me to drink shots on par with him. I liked him much better than my date...and after a while I went to use the restroom in the bar and figured what the heck...so when I came back to the table I told my date I liked his friend better. They almost got in a fight with my date accusing his friend of trying to steal me. It was very funny.

OK...now that I have revealed too much of myself in past days....

My mom who very rarely drank used to call my father from whom she was divorced on the very few occasions she had too much to drink. She used to call them her "semi-annual hate calls".

Kim
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Good one.

BTW.....Republicans often dance around the issues.

Your Amish Sim Pal, Bear
    LOL...now that was a good one.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The Onion last week had a "story" in which a drunk announced to the bar that he would be "getting them all" and that they would "all see."

I generally don't get sloshed. Last month, though, some friends and I went to a wine dinner. Boy they were pouring generously (good Mondavi wines, not plonk, either). We got pretty sloshed.

You've got to watch out for the quiet ones. I usually announced I had had my fill by
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Sep 1999
    All I can say in my defense is, I didn't know the trolleys in SA quit running at 9 on Monday nights, and I'm very sorry RJ had to hold me up the whole mile back to the hotel.....

But I sure had fun!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    CIODIW!!!!
    Just thought evryone should be aware of htis factt. Have a good night and dont let the bedbufgs bite. Hahahaha!
    Now I understand why. It's all so clear now.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    How did I miss this thread the first time around? Many of my posts in RTDNTOTO blonde here. ZG sent me tis image. Built envirnoment.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Although I never have been drunk, I have been in a few situations where I was surrounded by people who were drunk.

One of the observations that I've had and that is not mentioned here yet is flashing.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Ummm yea… I have been there a time or two, or more. Worried for a bit that I had a drinking problem in college. That was fixed when I was too poor to buy beer!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm thinking about trimming all my body hair. All of it. Know what I mean?

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    My question: WHY is this such a seemingly universal expression, drawing attention to one's self in this state? Why do folks feel compelled to do this?
    Hmmm. I know what you mean. There have been times that I've been highly inebriated and have found out the next day from others - to my surprise, just how extroverted I was. But when I have acted this way it has not been with the consciousness that I'm "drawing attention" to myself. MZ touched on this in part; I think for most of us - sent through the oven of socialization, self-consciousness (which is related to inhibition) keeps us from saying and doing what our first impulses might suggest. Aside from a decrease in our motor skills and attention span, alcohol has a way of short-circuiting the parts of our brain that make us worry about what others will think of us.

So I wouldn't view alcohol as making people "feel compelled" to draw "attention" to themselves. I think it is really the reverse - alcohol removes the blinds that we normally put up to keep our own inner light from shining too brightly on others. Alcohol then becomes (up to a point) an acceptable explanation for why one is being what would normally be considered boisterous and rowdy. I think it takes one closer to the mindset of a child not yet old enough to realize that the world doesn't revolve around him - and that is not an unreasonable perception of reality for a child to have given the extreme attention that we require and receive as vulnerable newborns.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Just do it while you are sober. BTW...it's called "manscaping"
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Just go through the drive-through chemotherapy unit. You will lose it all.....and I really mean all.

Baby Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    My absolute worst drinking incident was on my 22nd birthday. It was a saturday, and I worked all day at the university library, so I had hardly had anything to eat. My roomates and my boyfriend (now my husband) wanted to take me out right after I got home, and kept plowing me with long islands, which wasn't a good idea on an empty stomach. By 10:00 I was already completely sloshed. I was too dizzy to even consider walking to the bathroom at the bar, so I was picking up the empty plastic cups stacked at our table and puking into them one by one. I vaguely remember people looking at me in disgust. So, my friends helped me out the door and down the street to my roomate's car. My boyfriend and I were sitting in the backseat when I looked at him, and threw up right into his face. Man, it was awful. We had only met less to two months earlier. I can't believe he stayed with me after that. But he does hate when I tell that story.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by cch
    By 10:00 I was already completely sloshed. I was too dizzy to even consider walking to the bathroom at the bar, so I was picking up the empty plastic cups stacked at our table and puking into them one by one. I vaguely remember people looking at me in disgust.
    I remember you!!! Was this at a bar on Division between Rush and Dearborn?
    Surely it had to be you, as people in Chicago are ordinarially classy as my Algonquin based sister tells me.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Announcements rules
    Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Oct 2011, 10:02 AM
  2. Announcements - 9 July 2002
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Jul 2002, 2:28 AM
  3. Announcements - 7 July 2002