Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Roadside shelters in Pennsylvania: what are they?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Roadside shelters in Pennsylvania: what are they?

I've noticed that in rural areas in Pennsylvania, along most state roads, there's large-ish wooden shelters with ads posted on the side, spaced about a mile or so apart. The shelters look the same everywhere in the state; there's almost no variation in design. I've never seen such shelters in other states. What are they, and why are they only in PA?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Maybe school bus shelters?
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by njm
    Maybe school bus shelters?
    I haven't noticed any with ads, but yes, I believe that they are indeed bus shelters. Most the ones I've seen around the western part of the state have been wooden, painted red and appeared to be fairly old.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Schoolbus shelter is what comes to mind. I don't recall seeing any of these; maybe I'm used to them, or just don't pay attention.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    As someone who had to walk half a mile to the nearest school bus stop during elementary school, one of these shelters would have been really nice. Yes, Alabama does not have Pennsylvania winters but for a seven year old from a poor family (meaning, terrible winter clothes), ten degrees with wind is still quite miserable. Plus after the long walk to the bus stop, it would have been nice to have a place to sit while waiting for the bus. On the other hand, since there were eight other kids at the same stop and I was the youngest, I doubt I would have gotten a seat

I actually did notice the shelters Dan mentioned years ago when traveling through Pennsylvania. I think it's one of those interesting regional variations in our country that have otherwise disappeared with the homogenzation of our country due to our conquest of the physical environment. I bet kids in Pennsylvania get driven to school in an SUV just as much as they do in Arizona or Georgia (well, except the Amish... but they have those cool HUBs... Horse Utility Buggys).
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Built Before 1970s

The ones I am familiar with are school bus shelters that were built pre-1970s. They are simple wooden structures with an add on the side. I haven't seen any built in decades.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Occasionally you'll see them in "rural" or once rural parts of NJ. Most often they were busy school bus stops but as the population has aged they're now defunct.

I imagine they'll be making a comeback soon because the state recently widened the walking limit to schools and bus stops - and the money they've been spending on the "safe streets to school" program are roping a lot more kids into the walking orbit.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    May 2005
    San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
    I live in Pennsylvania. There's one at the end of the street that's never used. Would you like a pic?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Examples of bike hub / shelters
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Aug 2013, 6:40 PM
  2. Roadside ditch culverts
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Nov 2006, 1:32 PM
  3. Homeless shelters
    Land Use and Zoning