+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you scary?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Are you scary?

Me? God no.

God no. In high school, a freiend took me shopping. She had me try on leather vests pants and the like. Still, with my face, I couldn't pull off the tough look. Same thing with cowboy hats and western wear; when I lived in New Mexico friends tried to make Yankee look native, but one look in the mirror was enough to prove that I couldn't pull it off..

Same thing when I'm walking down the street. Not many people will ever move over for me; it's as if I send out a signal that screams "beta male." I've unintentionally body-slammed some people lately because increasingly, I refuse to step out of the path of others; I'm tired of being the one who always has to get out of the way.

Still, being an older Gen-Xer and still single ... in the neighborhood where I used to rent, a couple of neighbors suspected that I was a possible child molester. Why? Well, I lived alone. That was it. I was scary because I was single. Never mind that I bought women home, was relatively social and NOT one of those "He's so quiet! I would have never suspected he had bodies stacked up in the basement like cordwood!" guys, and don't otherwise exude a creepy vibe. I never had that happen to me elsewhere.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I am pretty scary. I am 6' 3" 220lbs with a swarthy complexion. I have a tatoo on my back and sometimes I grow a short beard and 'stache. I am not as scary as I used to be in high school, when I had slicked-back hair and dressed alternatively like a guido and a skater.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm on the same physical scale of scary as jmello.

I am 6'1" and 230 with most of the bulk in wide shoulders and chest, but I have never had a scary personality and could be somewhat of a wallflower at parties in the past (high school/college).

Though, most people will move out the way for me on the sidewalk.

If I felt weightlifting was worth the tedium, I could probably get very bulky and scary....but then I'd have to shave my head and grow a goat.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Please I got all of you beat on weight and height (6'5"' 250). Back in college I was pretty scary looking, but that was during the days of punk rock and bad adrongonous haircuts. I'd wear long leather coats bought at resale stores, with half shaved head that had both a rat tail and a pompadour.

I could care less what the average person thinks about me. I do however care how my image projects that of my agency, and how it also reflects on how trustworthy of a resource that I am to others. These days its short hair and button down shirts. Not exciting, but I am okay with that.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Sadly yes.

6 ft tall, large build, 250lbs, shaved head.
    I've been told a few times that I'm intimidating and/or scary looking.

It's really strange because I see myself a the biggest wuss/nerd going. I'm as tough as a sack of marshmallows.

I see the benefits of being scary looking (I was never picked on in school, despite the whole dork thing) but it bugs me that people assume I'm this jock roughneck when, in fact, I'm just the opposite. I think I really confuse people when they start to get to know me. People don't seem to like having their assumptions disproved.
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Feb 2004
    People are not at all frightened by my appearance or demeanor.

A few people have, however, assumed that this meant I was some sort of candya$$ and learned the hard way they would have been much better off f-ing with the leather-clad biker type.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I wouldn't say I am scary nor scary-looking. But I do seem to intimidate people at times. Not sure if that is the same thing you are asking about.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    A few people have, however, assumed that this meant I was some sort of candya$$
    hmm ya look like an ex-marine to me.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Holy cow, there is a lot of cornfed guys on cyburbia!!

Scary, no, pissed, yes. I had a guy friend in college tell me I needed to smile more because I looked pissed off. I just naturally look mad I guess, and I refuse to walk around with a fake smile.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    A few people have, however, assumed that this meant I was some sort of candya$$ and learned the hard way they would have been much better off f-ing with the leather-clad biker type.
    Ooooooooo, Maister is considered a deadly weapon in 39 states......
    Last edited by mendelman; 24 Apr 2006 at 4:00 PM.

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    And a deadly wit on Cyburbia.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm 5'6", quite plump, wear heavy glasses, and am somewhat balding. I am absolutely terrifying.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Keep it up and YOU, in particular, may wish to reconsider your plans to attend STANFEST 2006!!
    Just think.... now you can't back out of Stanfest without losing face. People will say 'What, are you afraid that some bookish nerd like Maister is going to gonna kick yer a$$'
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I'm 5'6", quite plump, wear heavy glasses, and am somewhat balding. I am absolutely terrifying.
    Especially, if you lived in a single family neighborhood and there are only families in the neighborhood. Then decided to be a clown in your spare time.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Especially, if you lived in a single family neighborhood and there are only families in the neighborhood. Then decided to be a clown in your spare time.
    Is it just me or is Mendelman in rare form today?

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    When I smile at small children they hide behind their mother's legs!

Small children have been known to flee in horror at my countenance.

I know what Dan means, though ... It's good I like the Planner's Uniform because I can't pull anything else off at all.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Most defintely. I'm 6 foot 4, and 275. I've got broad shoulders and a deep chest from years of working out. When I'm having sinus problems, I have a deep, menancing voice. Like the others, in real life, I'm quite, intellectual and kind of bookish. I learned early on how strong I was and what could happen if I didn't control it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I cannot really make the call about myself. I'm big, 6'2" 230lbs(and dropping!) but I don't really know. Probably somewhere in between.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I had worked in a shipyard, in the oilfields, as a sewer line cleaner, was a Firefighter/EMT, what does that tell ya ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm about as scary as a butterfly on a warm spring day. Although if I tried I could probably pull off "creepy" pretty well in a Steve Buschemi sort of way. With 2 little girls I'm running out of time to get intimidating before the boys start calling.

It seems to me some women like "scary" guys and some are turned off by the intimidating guys - so it works both ways.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    You now understand why I asked for a reinforced bulletproof cubicle wall....

Me on the other hand... I always end up being the Bad Stan when we play good Stan / bad Stan.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Physically...no, not really. At 5'9", 140, with very little muscle tone, I am harmless.

Although I've got a lot of intellect, drive, power, and ambition...and that scares people, especially if I use it in a negative way. Some have considered my map-drawing ability and memorization of useless information to be freaky, and some also fear my right-wing beliefs, political ambition and power drive. Some also see my self-confidence as a threat.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I do not (nor do others) consider me scary as far as physical attributes are concerned - 5'8" 175# - athletic build. Why do I feel like this thread is becoming a cyburbian personal ad...
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Can't be worse than your Avatar, that thing gives me nightmares
    I hope the Texas-bound Cyburbians didn't wake up on Sunday resembling it
    Bring on Spring Training...

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Handsome or Scary?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 12:01 PM
  2. Celebration, Florida (scary)
    Make No Small Plans