Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Plans focused on city issues at the edge of a campus

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Plans focused on city issues at the edge of a campus

I wish I could come up with a better title than this.

Texas State University recently completed their campus master plan. It places a lot of emphasis on the university's interaction with the City and creating some definition. There are several physical improvements planned for the campus, particularly at its edges. This will require a lot of interaction between the City and University for coordinating capital improvements.

We're beginning what I've decided to call the "Town-Gown Trainsition Strategic Plan". The main purpose is to not only coordinate capital improvements & infrastructure, but look into urban design issues as well to create some consistency with the adjacent downtown.

I would appreciate any suggestions and/or examples of other places that have done similar projects. This seems like a hybrid plan blending elements of a CIP, special area plan and strategic plan.

This is how I'm leaning for the plan organization (please give me some comments):

Chapter 1: Introduction
    Purpose of Plan
    Description of Relationship between university and City
    Define Edge of Campus
    Project Overview Map
    Chapter 2: Academic Support Projects & Issues
    General discussion
    Project
    Description
    Assessment of Impacts on City
    Opportunities for Intergovernmental Cooperation
    Recommendations and Phasing (include action matrix with preferred and alternative actions)
    Project...
    Project...
    Chapter 3: Residential Support Projects & Issues
    same organization as Chapter 2

Chapter 4: Parking

Chapter 5: Urban Design
    same organization as Chapter 2, but with the general discussion specifically addressing "gray to green transformation", pedestrian friendly movement, landscaping, overall architectural themes, and streetscapes and street furniture.

Chapter 6: Infrastructure

Chapter 7: Mobility

Chapter 8: Implementation
    Description of how to continue the planning process
    Action Plan (Breakdown of entire plan by subject & project, list recommended actions, alternative actions, responsible parties and timeline)

Chapter 9: Appendices
    University Landscape Palette
    Architectural Design Guidelines for University
    Site and Materials
    Building and Roof FOrms
    Facade Articulation
    Fenestration and Encroachments
    Structured Parking Design

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    How close to a CIP do you want? do you have revenues and expenditures? I don't see them. How about some demographic information, showing future growth (or shrinkage) of the areas? This could be park of the introduction, or stand alone as a pre-project list explaination of need.

I doubt you would need to get into mitigation measures or alternatives analysis, but maybe that should be explored (depending upon the number of projects)
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006

Nevada

For what its worth...the University of Nevada has just presented its Comprehensive Master Plan at NAB's and CAB's. Here is a link to the site for the details of their plan. It does deal with some of the issue like softening the edge between town and gown.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006

Nevada

Sorry...helps to add the site...check it out at unr.edu/masterplan

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    How close to a CIP do you want? do you have revenues and expenditures? I don't see them. How about some demographic information, showing future growth (or shrinkage) of the areas? This could be park of the introduction, or stand alone as a pre-project list explaination of need.

I doubt you would need to get into mitigation measures or alternatives analysis, but maybe that should be explored (depending upon the number of projects)
    That's why I say it's a bit of a hybrid; it doesn't really fit into a single planning category. That last chapter implementation mentions an action matrix. That matrix also includes an estimated cost to help with CIP. I think this plan is partially intended to aide our actual City CIP and perhaps encourage more investment around the university. Demographics are being discussed to some degree in a few chapters, but the introduction will have a bit more about it in the planning assumptions (cap enrollment, move toward more graduate-level students living off-campus, etc.).

The University Master Plan lists specific projects, so we're looking at it from the City perspective of how those projects affect us individually and collectively. How will all of the new parking structures change the current flow of traffic? Does the City need to take any actions to avoid negative impacts? How do our architectural design regulations compliment that of the University? Are changes needed? Basically, the mitigation measures are aimed at preparing for the CIP and giving it some additional direction, and also recommending necessary policy changes or new programs to compliment actions at the university. it also seeks to clear up exactly who is responsible for particular actions, like whether the university intends to pay for infrastructure upgrades or whether cost-sharing is an option, like for the planned parking structure next to the new Fine Arts Center, directly adjacent to downtown (which also has a parking problem).

The UNR plan was actually discussed in one of the APA National sessions. In fact, I was sitting next to Boiker while they were talking about it.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I think you should look at Temple University (one of my my alma maters). They have done a lot of plans for the revitalization of the surrounding neighborhoods.

This is one that I found:
    http://www.10000friends.org/design20.../04_temple.htm

There are many more.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Jan 2013, 1:51 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 5:56 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Apr 2005, 11:44 PM
  4. Who's Attending Edge City Conference