Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite skyscraper

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006

Favorite skyscraper

My favorite design might be the Chrysler Building's. The concrete color though kind of turns me off, because it just blends into everything else in NYC. My favorite then I think is the Sears Tower. The multiple sections prevent it from being brutalist. I like that it is black rather than concrete (somthing I think Chicago does far beeter than NYC). I dont care much for the John Hancok building whih seems to be on more coins and books.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    sure hope that's not leeched
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Apr 2006

Seagram Building - Mies

The Seagram Building because of the plaza and a good connection to the street.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Detroit Guardian Building (1928). I love the Art Decco interior and exterior complimented by Detroit's own Pewabic Pottery.

Check it out!

http://www.buildingphotos.com/detroi...00grswld.shtml

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mokbubble
    My favorite design might be the Chrysler Building's. The concrete color though kind of turns me off, because it just blends into everything else in NYC. My favorite then I think is the Sears Tower. The multiple sections prevent it from being brutalist. I like that it is black rather than concrete (somthing I think Chicago does far beeter than NYC). I dont care much for the John Hancok building whih seems to be on more coins and books.
    You have a tough criteria / standard there -
    The Hancock (background skyline) being on the Illinois State Quarter, you "don't care much for."
    Do not forgot it was on an U.S. Postage stamp too.

The Chrysler - on an U.S. Postage stamp, in the same sheet as the Hancock and in/on books too.
    But it was not proposed as part of the NY Quarter design.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    well, I do like The Chrysler. I was jsut saying why it isnt my absolute favorite. Wow the Detroit Guardian Bilding does look great, especially on the inside.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    well, I do like The Chrysler. I was jsut saying why it isnt my absolute favorite. Wow the Detroit Guardian Bilding does look great, especially on the inside.
    You should see the inside of Detroit's Fisher Building. I work next to the Gaurdian Building it is definitely amazing. Such a tall building built of Brick and tile makes you wonder how they do it.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    I really think Detroit has some of the best interiors in the country. I can't remember which buildings exactly, but so many of them have really intereting usages of tiles.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'll agree that Chicago has the best tall buildings in the USA. For the most part, they are not overdesigned and I can see much beauty in simple, functional forms (ie, the Sears Tower and the currently under-construction Trump Tower). I also like the fact that you can still do unique things with functional forms, such as with the Hancock building.

For that reason, I'd also have to say that my favorite tall building is currently the Sears Tower.

Like them or hate them, but without the World Trade Center towers, IMHO, NYC looks like an anonymous morass of buildings surrounded by water. Right now, that new tall building across the Hudson River in Jersey City, NJ has more interest to me in a skyline view than does the current Manhattan skyline.

Outside of the USA, I'd have to give my nod to the tall buildings of Hong Kong.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My favorite is probably the classic Empire State Building. Next is probably the Chicago Board of trade at the end of the street (is it Dearborn or LaSalle?). Next I probably like the revised Ren-Cen. Much has been done to reduce its brutalist pedestal. The size of it, how it now fits is surrounds (as opposed to the past) is astounding. Only bad thing about it is the elimination of pedestrian crossings in front of the tunnel to Canada (damm that Homeland Security!)
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I actually like the John Hancock Center just a little bit more than the Sears Tower. It looks more unique, and I am also a fan of diagonals lines. Plus I've been in the John Hancock center.

I still like the Sears Tower very much though, with it's unique box shapes, and also because it stands as a symbol of the economic greatness of Chicago. The Aon Center is also cool.

Outside of Chicago, I am really facinated with Seattle's Space Needle, San Fran's Transamerica Pyramid, New York's Chrysler Building, Philly's Liberty One Place, and Atlanta's Bank of America Plaza.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Atlanta's Bank of America Center, NYC Chrystler Building, US Bank tower in LA, and Charlotte's Bank of America Corporate Tower. There has been a lot of talk in Atlanta about the Atlantic Station. If find it to be boring New Urbanist junk with no flare or imagination.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Top 3:

1. John Hancock Building, Chicago Ill.
    2. Bank of America Building, Portland OR.
    3. Bank of China Tower, Hong Kong

Bottom 3:

1. Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur
    2. Sears Tower, Chicago, Ill.
    3. Marina City I & II Chicago, Ill.

Chicago is amazing because it has a mix of (what I think) some of the most beautiful and some of the ugliest tall buildings in the world.
    Whereas, NYC is just a mix of homogeneous buildings none of which (save the Empire State) stand out.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I love Petronas-I consider it to be an amazing building.

Everyone knows the big and famous ones, so I'll be oscure:

My top three:

1. Cesar Pelli's crisp, chilly, and beautiful tower for J. P. Morgan on Mission Street in San Francisco

2. Fort Wayne, Indiana's glorious Art Deco Lincoln National Bank Tower.

3. The Erotic Gherkin (Swiss Re in London, England (Norman Foster-only through photographs).

I hate:

1. Fox Tower in San Francisco. Ugly apartment high rise that needs to go.

2. Fort Wayne National Bank Building (former) ugly 1960s/1970s box with crude detailing and proportions. Yuck.

3. while not really a skyscraper, it's at least 10 stories tall, and it is awful, absolutely awful: The Money Store (now bankrupt, praise Karma) pyramid in West Sacramento, CA

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I was in Chicago for a school band trip this weekend and included about my 20th trip up the John Hancock Building. I have told many people if you can do just one thing in Chicago, go up the Hancock at night. Awesome.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB
    I was in Chicago for a school band trip this weekend and included about my 20th trip up the John Hancock Building. I have told many people if you can do just one thing in Chicago, go up the Hancock at night. Awesome.
    ..and one time?..at band camp? I weet up to the Hancock buildng? and it was sooo aawesooome!

sorry, could not resist
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Luca
    ..and one time?..at band camp? I weet up to the Hancock buildng? and it was sooo aawesooome!

sorry, could not resist
    And what do YOU, Mr. Athens on the Thames, think of "Sir" Norman Fosters' strange little egg? Pretty bold and odd for an Insurance Company, no?

BANNED
    Registered
    Mar 2006

The Mile-high Illinois

I like this one - http://www.delmars.com/wright/flw7a.htm . The 528 floors are cantilevered off of a central core of titanium reinforced concrete. It is a sky city which accommodates a population of 120,000. When the architect was asked if he thought he would ever see it built, he said, “I have already seen it.”

John Portman the Atlanta Architect-developer's Peachtree Center is worthy of mention; He also did the Renaissance Center in Detroit - http://www.portmanusa.com/

bud...
    Last edited by bud; 03 May 2006 at 1:29 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    The Chrysler Building is also my favorite. I also think the John Hancock Building in Boston looks nice with the reflection of Trinity Church in its side.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    And what do YOU, Mr. Athens on the Thames, think of "Sir" Norman Fosters' strange little egg? Pretty bold and odd for an Insurance Company, no?
    I dislike Foster's glass dildo. Not intensely, but I dislike it. Meets the street very poorly, the funky glass panes fall off and it is the classic 'alien spaceship lands in existing city' miscontextual atrocity. It is also shamelessly 'look at me' novelty architecture. There just aren't any decent skyscrapers in London.

In NYC I like the Rockerfeller Center's main tower and, oddly for me, Lever House. The Woolworth and Chrysler are the all-time favorites. I Like the ESB but it's not that impressive close up, quality wise. If we can conside them skyscrapers, the Chanin and the Radiator buildings are also great.

BTW, Foster's official foot-licking monarchic/aristorcratic title is 'Lord', not 'Sir'.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Luca

BTW, Foster's official foot-licking monarchic/aristorcratic title is 'Lord', not 'Sir'.
    OOPS. LORD Foster, indeed. Britain needs a V is for Vendetta kind of guy to get rid of that crap.

What do you think of his Commerzbank tower in Frankfurt? From photos, it is interesting.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    Outside of Chicago, I am really facinated with Seattle's Space Needle, San Fran's Transamerica Pyramid, New York's Chrysler Building, Philly's Liberty One Place, and Atlanta's Bank of America Plaza.
    The B of A Plaza is for sale if you're interested:

Quote Originally posted by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Atlanta's tallest building is for sale.

Cousins Properties, the Atlanta-based developer, said Thursday it will put the 55-story Bank of America Plaza skyscraper on the market and use the proceeds from the sale for new projects.

Michael Graves' Humana Building in Louisville. To fully appreciate it, you must look at it in context of its historic neighbors. Fabulous. Hard to believe that there was such an uproar then over the use of pink granite cladding for the building. It has aged into the context better than anyone could have hoped.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    OOPS. LORD Foster, indeed. Britain needs a V is for Vendetta kind of guy to get rid of that crap.
    It's more silly than hamrful. Msot coutnries have a system ofbestowing honorifics; the surviving European 'monarchies' are basically tourist- and tradition-oriented institutions but they have no major impact on daily life.

Of course that's not what I tell locals...I tned to widn them up by saying that the best thign the French ever did was wholesale slaughter of their aristocrats and king.

Dubai Skyscraper

Dubai has some incredible building that were built at astronomical costs. This site has some info on all the construction going on there, including the world's tallest building which should be completed in 2008.
    http://www.skyscraperpicture.com/dubai.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dubai_Skyscrapers.jpg  

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Jan 2005, 4:20 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Jun 2004, 5:49 AM
  3. favorite mom
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25