Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Examples of areas which were residential which are now mixed use

Registered
    Feb 2003

Examples of areas which were residential which are now mixed use

There is a lot of talk about mixed use and redevelopment. Most of what I see are new projects which attempt to (re)make a "city center" or "walkable district" although you have to drive out to it. These developments are either greenfield development or development which start on vacant land. None seem to adapt existing residential structures.
    Does anyone know of any examples of areas which were residential which are now mixed use? Particularly, I am looking at a neighborhood of predominantly multi-story buildings (generally 2 to 3 story) with one residnetial unit per floor. There is no commerial. Has anyone seen a move to vertically integrate uses in existing residential structures?
    Is this feasable given the costs of converting the residential space to commercial space (anything other than a small office)? Thoughts?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by chasqui
    Does anyone know of any examples of areas which were residential which are now mixed use? Particularly, I am looking at a neighborhood of predominantly multi-story buildings (generally 2 to 3 story) with one residnetial unit per floor.
    Some examples I am aware of:

Newbury Street in Boston

Parts of Thayer Street and Wickenden Street in Providence

Wrightsville Avenue in Wilmington, NC (see http://library4.municode.com:80/mcc/...infobase=14101)

Registered
    Feb 2003

thanks

Jmello - thanks! At one point I lived in Wilmington, and drove that area of Wrightsville frequently. From what i remember it was partially commercial. It did (hopefully still does) have beatiful old homes on a busy street. Many of them were non-residential uses. I don't recall if any of the buildings themselves were mixed, but there was certainly a variety of low-impact non-residential uses. I will take a look at the other codes.
    Anyone seen verical mixed use in their city which made use of an existing residential structure?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Feb 2008, 9:37 AM
  2. Need examples of mixed use developments
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Jan 2008, 10:21 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 05 Sep 2003, 7:45 AM
  4. Mixed use areas
    Land Use and Zoning