Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Career help

Registered
    Mar 2006

Career help

I am graduating in may 2006 with a degree in Urban and Regional Planning. I live in Texas and was hoping to find an entry level position or and internship. Could someone please give me some advice to get me started in the right direction. Thanks for your time.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CZECHMATE
    I am graduating in may 2006 with a degree in Urban and Regional Planning. I live in Texas and was hoping to find an entry level position or and internship. Could someone please give me some advice to get me started in the right direction. Thanks for your time.
    Internships, internships. There are many planners in Austin you could talk to and even a few in San Marcos. I assume you're graduating from the Urban and Regional Planning program at Texas State? A member on here named Suburb Repairman is a graduate of the same program. He can probably give you some advice to help you out.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    Internships, internships. There are many planners in Austin you could talk to and even a few in San Marcos. I assume you're graduating from the Urban and Regional Planning program at Texas State? A member on here named Suburb Repairman is a graduate of the same program. He can probably give you some advice to help you out.
    Czechmate, I just replied to you on the Bobcatfans site. Like I said in that, my best advice other than an internship is get your ass to the National Conference in San Antonio. With it this close, there is no excuse for you and your peers not to be there. Bring lots of resumes and get hooked-up volunteering in sessions that you have an interest in.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Internships, internships.....
    'nuf said. I couldn't get out of school without an internship.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Internships, internships.
    I second that recommendation....I was even told that my internship experience is what put me over the top in being offered my first planning job out of grad school.
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Congratulations on earning your degree! As suburb repairman mentioned the National Conference is a great opportunity to get your resume into a lot of hands. I would follow-up by adding that for every contact that you make, every resume that you hand out to send that person a short note. People will be impressed that you took the time and while you might not get job offers you will make contacts, and you may even get a referral to someplace that is hiring or looking for interns.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Quote Originally posted by high density
    People will be impressed that you took the time and while you might not get job offers you will make contacts, and you may even get a referral to someplace that is hiring or looking for interns.
    I got a great job once by referral. That's why I start a job search with requests for information interviews. The busy professionals are more likely to grant an interview if they know you aren't hounding them for a job. If you wow them, they might offer you a job, and at the least they'll give you referrals to other people to talk to. Then you're not calling them cold, but can say "Joe Cool suggested I call you."

Registered
    Dec 1998
    All of my jobs have been through connections I've had with other local planners. I was very active in the local APA chapter, so I was pretty well known by the time I finished grad school. I think it's very important to network with other planners in your area and outside as well.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by high density
    Congratulations on earning your degree! As suburb repairman mentioned the National Conference is a great opportunity to get your resume into a lot of hands.
    I got my first job from an interview at the APA conference (I wasn't even taking the job hunt that seriously at the time; thought I'd just get some interview practice. Ended up with a very good job and a much higher salary than I ever expected).

And I would also strongly recommend an internship or two, even if you have to do it unpaid. Not only do they help fill out your resume, but they also give you an idea of what you might like or not like about a particular type of planning or work atmosphere. My M.A. program (U of Akron) worked with local planning departments to offer internships as an alternative to research or teaching assistanships. We got paid plus got a tuition waiver. I ended up with four internships.

Registered
    Mar 2006

what is internship

hello eryone..i'm a planner in malaysia...so is there any possibility for internship for my country.what are the procedures.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Czechmate, I just replied to you on the Bobcatfans site.

OT: what is the Bobcat fan site? Bobcat Goldthwaite (went to my high school) or as in Bobcats the animal -

yes, internships are great - I need one if you want to go NorthEast, and I mean north!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by firaus737
    hello eryone..i'm a planner in malaysia...so is there any possibility for internship for my country.what are the procedures.
    I don't know of any specific programs for internships. Unless you're a student, you would need to contact each planning agency you're interested in working for.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    All this internship talk is making my head hurt.

I don't know if that's your thing or not but you didn't specify that you were set on staying in Texas either, so.....

I suggest seeking out fast growing, smallish, western and southern cities and counties, and do whatever you can to make a good impression with the person doing the hiring.

Make sure to have writing samples and a few maps to demonstrate GIS skills. Be sincere, positive, and resourceful, and I bet you'll latch on somewhere.

Best of luck!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hey.....

How about an internship? Those seem to work well. I wonder if anyone else has any information about internships.....hmmm.....

The only problem is that since you graduate so soon, an internship through the school might not be possible.....should have been done last summer or fall.
    Try a part time job in planning with another part time job doing something else for a while (good way to get in)
    If your interested in parks planning, they always need summer help and that could be a good way to land a parks planner job.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Czechmate, I just replied to you on the Bobcatfans site. Like I said in that, my best advice other than an internship is get your ass to the National Conference in San Antonio. With it this close, there is no excuse for you and your peers not to be there. Bring lots of resumes and get hooked-up volunteering in sessions that you have an interest in.
    I am considering attending Texas State to major in urban planning. What reputation does the program, geography dept., school in general, and poli sci minor have? Does it matter that it isn't accredited? Scholarships? Is it possible to pursue the degree and run track on scholarship(as far as time goes)?.....and, um.....what is the meaning of life?
    Last edited by slovak; 08 Apr 2006 at 11:44 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by CZECHMATE
    Currently in my city of Laredo, Texas our planning and zoning department is lookin for a planner. I don't want to tell you more because im not sure if it is against forum rules or not, but if you are interested go to www.cityoflaredo.com and click where it says employment, after click on "click here for employment opportunities" and than go down the list and one of the first ones should say planner II. Check it out

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planning Fool
    I second that recommendation....I was even told that my internship experience is what put me over the top in being offered my first planning job out of grad school.
    I would say that an internship will definitely help. But if it takes time to find a planning internship, also consider opportunities in planning related fields.

I did an internship in my local city planning office for a summer, then I got offered to do some part-time work for the city assessor during my last year of undergrad. Then I spent about two years in Americorps working with an environmental stewardship program.

I'm just saying, try to keep your options open stay up on your connections and networks.

Internships are *great* for resumes, if you can get into an intership its definitely the way to go. The more experience the better and donating time is always a good hting.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. UN career
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 12 Aug 2007, 3:47 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Nov 2006, 2:00 PM
  3. Help: career choice
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Apr 2006, 12:03 PM