Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Contract or Employee at Will

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Contract or Employee at Will

I have a 3 year contract - if they decide not to sign my contract, they have to give me one year's notice/pay - if they let me go before the contract, they have to have cause but they are allowed not to sign a renewal contract just because

there's talk of getting rid of contracts for department heads which would basically mean they would have to always have cause to get rid of me and not just because

I like my contract because I like the one year gig - if they wanted to get rid of me, I need a year to uproot my family and move (it's not like I'm in a major metro area anymore so I can town-hop) - my fellow department heads don't want the contract because they don't like the not signing thing just because, they want for cause and since they'd pay you to leave even with cause

what do you think?

cause and maybe a pay out, or just because with some pay?

Registered
    May 2004
    I dunno- but at least I responded

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    I dunno- but at least I responded
    I was going for that!

seriously though....
    I like the contract. Or the just because, but here is one year of pay. I imagine (or maybe I'll just make a hasty generalization/stereotype) that the other department heads have settled into a nice routine of doing the minimum and think that proving cause buys them a sense of security.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    is there a penalty for you ending the contract before the 3 years is up?

i think i'd like the security of a contract and the year's notice. then again, the not renewing the contract "just because" would have me a bit frightened.

so basically i'm no help to you!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian

I like my contract because I like the one year gig - if they wanted to get rid of me, I need a year to uproot my family and move
    I think this answers your own question. For a lot of details like that, what is "preferable" is often not objective but subjective. When I was jobhunting and still married to a career soldier, medical benefits meant absolutely nothing to me. In fact, cash money without medical benefits would be better. If I have outside insurance, that is just more paperwork for me so the military hospital can collect their fair share. But I can't imagine it would actually improve my life or medical care in any way, shape, or form.

Good luck.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Contract.....

It keeps you safe for three years and provides an out for the politico's. If it has two year extensions, that's a great deal....try to get that when this one runs out.....
    I'm at will and wish I had a contract, its just too easy to find cause for directors I think....any and every little thing can be used Does the contract allow you to leave at any time with only a months notice....that makes it even better.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    I'm at will and wish I had a contract, its just too easy to find cause for directors I think....any and every little thing can be used
    And if they need to prove cause, all they have to do is start downgrading your performance reviews and they can easily manufacture an out for themselves.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    well, we met yesterday (department heads) as a group with the town manager and we reached a consensus that we didn't want things to change - we want to keep the one year pay no matter what

I guess we got pretty firm about it in conversation because afterwards my town manager said that he hopes none of us ever get mad at him - - he's a great manager

so thanks for your viewpoints - yes, I only need to give 30 days notice to leave in my contract

one point I figured that they would think twice about letting me go because they would have to pay me benefits and a salary for a year - so that's enough of a chunk of change to hopefully mkae them think about it before telling the manager not to sign

the other department heads thought it would be hard to prove cause but I'm not so sure either -

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Employment contract
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Aug 2009, 8:48 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 19 Sep 2007, 10:28 PM
  3. What to include in a contract
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Jul 2007, 4:41 PM