Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning in Florida

Registered
    Aug 2005

Planning in Florida

i just completed a phone interview with a planning director is FL. i think the interview went well. and he said he was impressed by my experience, etc.

for those of you who work or worked in FL do you have any advice/tips/vignettes about planning in FL, specifically the Keys?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    i just completed a phone interview with a planning director is FL. i think the interview went well. and he said he was impressed by my experience, etc.

for those of you who work or worked in FL do you have any advice/tips/vignettes about planning in FL, specifically the Keys?
    I assume you are referring to Key West? You better check out housing costs, they are extremely high and are driving many people out.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I assume you are referring to Key West? You better check out housing costs, they are extremely high and are driving many people out.
    Islamorada, actually. but affordable housing is a big issue there as well.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I wish I knew more about the Keys, specifically, but don't really. It's a different world down there. There are a lot of planning jobs available in Florida and, it seems, very few planner applicants, so you may have some room for negotiation. If you haven't already, compare the salary offered to others around the State at
    HTML code:
    http://www.floridaplanning.org/
    (and yes, I'm aware that Islamorada isn't exactly an affordable place to live which may factor into things). Of course, if you're in Nola you are already familiar with that. The FAPA website is also a good source of info for general Fla stuff (the state conference is called "Planning in Paradise - the Squeeze is On!") There have been a few other threads in cyburbia re planning in Fla - the comp plan statutes used to make it a unique place, but the changes over the past year have really kept us all scratching our heads. That's the good news, I guess - even the old timers here are struggling to keep up and meet the new requirements. Good luck, and (hopefully) welcome to Florida!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Another good source of information is the DCA web site.

http://www.dca.state.fl.us/

I've never been to the Keys. Does the state still hold them hostage in terms of development? Some of the other FL planners may know the answer.

BTW, good luck.

EDIT: I've been down here about a year and a half and I'm enjoying myself. If I can make the transition, anyone can.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Islamorada, actually. but affordable housing is a big issue there as well.
    LOL. I spent the entire day working on the Islamorada EAR. I know the folks who just left very well... went to school with them.

I personally love Islamorada. But there is a high cost of living as you know, some seasonal wind issues and a planning climate unlike the rest of FLA due to the fact that the Keys are an area of critical state concern and have a rate of growth ordinance (ROGO) where only 28 permits get issued per year in Islamorada... talk about a fight.

If you want, PM me and I will give you the email to the folks who just left and they can tell you more. I am going to Ft. L tomorrow, but will be back in Tally on Monday.

My 2 cents, if you get the job take it. There is no place like the Keys and just living there (if you can) is worth it... every penny.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2002
    "some seasonal wind issues"-lol - I've never heard it termed that way before. Sounds like you have a good source for info now - better than this Tampa area planner can provide. For good timing, though, here's an article today about people moving away from the Keys:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060503/...anes_exodus_dc

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Small Town Planning.....

Working in the Keys would be fun if:
    1. You don't have a family or need something more than a shoebox to live in....
    2. Aren't attached to keeping your money...
    3. Enjoy water sports activities....
    4. Are ready for small town politics and millionaires who pretend to be poor
    5. Can learn to let go of the idea of local authority and local control
    6. Would like to be one of the judges for a beauty contest that is the two dozen or so permits handed out each year
    7. Know how or want to scuba dive
    8. Want a good tan....
    9. Are ok with the idea of living in a school shelter for up to a week or more during the year...because of those "seasonal wind issues."
    10. Want to eat Key Lime Pie all weekend (This is enough for me )

I say go for it, but just don't ever leave the keys and don't fly in or out of Miami...oh and ask for double the salary they are suggesting
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2005
    thanks for the advice, everyone!

i guess i need to wait and see if
    1. they even offer me the job
    2. what the salary would be
    3. what kind of apt i could get on that salary.
    4. if i can get on a list for an "affordable" place to buy someday.

good luck with the job but i also wanted to second the "dont fly in or out of Miami" opinion. Its too true, more true than you may know unless you have been there.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Working in the Keys would be fun if:
    1. You don't have a family or need something more than a shoebox to live in....
    2. Aren't attached to keeping your money...
    3. Enjoy water sports activities....
    4. Are ready for small town politics and millionaires who pretend to be poor
    5. Can learn to let go of the idea of local authority and local control
    6. Would like to be one of the judges for a beauty contest that is the two dozen or so permits handed out each year
    7. Know how or want to scuba dive
    8. Want a good tan....
    9. Are ok with the idea of living in a school shelter for up to a week or more during the year...because of those "seasonal wind issues."
    10. Want to eat Key Lime Pie all weekend (This is enough for me )

I say go for it, but just don't ever leave the keys and don't fly in or out of Miami...oh and ask for double the salary they are suggesting
    ########################
    11. Love fishing
    12. Run fast when hurricans arrive!!!!
    Work hard, play hard.
    Listen carefully, see broadly.
    Good people, great environment, wonderful life.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I worked for the Volusia County (Daytona area) Dept. of Growth Management while I was there after Hurricane Katrina. Florida has pretty strong growth management rules. The pay was good, the roads were smooth, and I would definitely go back there.

Registered
    Jul 2006

Well, I've never lived in the Keys, but Miami proper is not all it's cracked out to be, particularly if you are NOT Cuban. Though Miami is a big city, it is quite backward and not very progressive for such an international city. Also, the income gap between rich and poor keeps widening every year and wages, even in degreed positions, have been shrinking (though I think that's happening everywhere).

Miami is quite beautiful geographically, but it has suffered and is suffering from many social problems, particularly, in terms of race and culture. For example, there is still a huge distrust between African-Americans and Cuban-Americans. You can't necessarily feel the tension out on the streets, but you can certainly feel it in the workplace. It's quite an interesting dynamic.

With that, good luck on your new horizon.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by citizen477
    Well, I've never lived in the Keys, but Miami proper is not all it's cracked out to be, particularly if you are NOT Cuban. Though Miami is a big city, it is quite backward and not very progressive for such an international city. Also, the income gap between rich and poor keeps widening every year and wages, even in degreed positions, have been shrinking (though I think that's happening everywhere).

Miami is quite beautiful` geographically, but it has suffered and is suffering from many social problems, particularly, in terms of race and culture. For example, there is still a huge distrust between African-Americans and Cuban-Americans. You can't necessarily feel the tension out on the streets, but you can certainly feel it in the workplace. It's quite an interesting dynamic.

With that, good luck on your new horizon.
    Miami is also notoriously corrupt. Did you see that recent article in the Herald about the graft associated with the affordable housing fund?

Registered
    Jul 2006

Corruption Gallore, Indeed

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    Miami is also notoriously corrupt. Did you see that recent article in the Herald about the graft associated with the affordable housing fund?
    Oh yes! The investigation is underway, let's see what comes out of it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Any planning jobs in N. Florida?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 2:37 PM
  2. Planning in Florida
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 18 Aug 2010, 12:37 PM
  3. Florida and planning positions