Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Minneapolis - St Paul center point of street grid

Minneapolis - St Paul center point of street grid

Hello

I am involved in a project to geocode addresses in the Minneapolis - St. Paul metro region. I noticed that a lot of the streets are NW, SE, etc. Where is the center point of this grid network?

Thanks

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup
    Hello

I am involved in a project to geocode addresses in the Minneapolis - St. Paul metro region. I noticed that a lot of the streets are NW, SE, etc. Where is the center point of this grid network?

Thanks
    You won't see ant NW or SW, Only N,S, E,W, NE, and SE.

Minneapolis East of the River:

The division between NE and SE is East Hennepin. The designation for east-west vs. north-south roads is the use of 'avenue' and street' (respectively). Don't ask me why the everything in SE is is 'SE XXX Ave' or 'SE XXX St.' while in NE it's 'XXX St. NE' or 'XXX Ave. NE'. I haven't a clue.

Minneapolis West of the River:

In downtown, the division between N and S is South Hennepin. It gets more complicated when Hennepin Avenue takes a dive southbound at Lyndale Avenue. The N/S division to the west of downtown is roughly Chestnut/Currie Aves, I believe.

South of downtown, the E/W division for streets is Nicollet Ave all the way south of the Minnesota River in Burnsville. East of Nicollet is always numbered, aves go noth-south and streets go east-west. West of Nicollet has a few named, unordered aves going north-south, then starts with the alphabet as Aldrich Ave going up to the west (with 2 H's in a row at Hennepin and Humboldt.)

North of downtown everything is designated N (both east-west and north-south roads). East-west is indicated by 'Ave' while north-south is either a numbered street or a named avenue (with the first letter of the names in alphabetical order starting with Aldrich Ave and going west.)

St. Paul South of the River (frequently known as West St. Paul):

East-West division is Humboldt Ave. The only north-south streets with a designation are those that cross the river; Smith, Wabasha, and Robert (they're all designated South). Address numbers ascend going south from the river

St. Paul North of the River and West of Downtown/N Jackson/ N Sylvan:

All east-west streets are designated W. N/S division is W Summit Ave.

St. Paul North of the River and East of Downtown/N Jackson/ N Sylvan:

N-S streets are all designated north, except a few streets on the far east side south of Upper Afton Rd. All E-W are designated East.

This is what happens when two cities of nearly identical age grow next to each other. I hope you weren't looking for a magic bullet.
    Last edited by njm; 03 May 2006 at 3:28 PM.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Great!

Now that I look at the data, you are right.

This has been most helpful

GS

Registered
    Apr 2006
    One note. Though the N/S division east of the river is Hennepin, due to Hennepin's bend toward the east, the addresses of avenues in SE actually count up from the river going north to Hennepin
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Quote Originally posted by njm
    One note. Though the N/S division east of the river is Hennepin, due to Hennepin's bend toward the east, the addresses of avenues in SE actually count up from the river going north to Hennepin
    Again thanks.

Someday I would like to know the center points of all of these gridded streets or even all the cities that are set up that way. But that is for another day...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 23 Sep 2010, 10:46 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 27 Nov 2006, 2:44 AM
  3. Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Oct 2006, 8:26 PM
  4. Minneapolis to St. Paul transit options
    Transportation Planning