Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone here been to hawaii (or help me plan my honeymoon)

Registered
    May 2004

Anyone here been to hawaii (or help me plan my honeymoon)

I'm planning my honeymoon which will be in late summer/early fall. Hawaii it is. Question is where and what hotels/resorts would be good to stay in. Any suggestions?

We are still undecided on doing the Wakiki thing or something more relaxing like Maui or the big island.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    The beach sands are extremely hot and will burn the bottom of your feet in the months of July and August.

Maui and the Big Island have more scenic tours available (just as a general rule - they are not as built out, so there's more opportunities), such as biking or hiking. Maui acutally has snow - on the top of Haleakala (the volcano). Go check it out - it's awesome. Hawaii has Volcano National Park - which is another awesome visit (except for the smell - but that's nature at her most destructive and beautiful).

Oahu is the tourist capital, and will seem very overdone compared to Maui and Hawaii. Kaui is beautiful, but small - not as much to do.

I'd recommend splitting your time amoung the islands - specifically Maui and Hawaii - and using lots of sunscreen! I do not have hotel recommendations - I lived on Oahu for 3 years in high school, so the whole best hotel thing escapes me.
    Last edited by Salmissra; 08 May 2006 at 12:27 PM.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i went to Oahu and the Big Island a few years ago. i preferred the Big Island because like Salmissra said, it is less built out and touristy. we spent a few days on the Kona side and then a few days on the Hilo side. my absolute favorite thing we did was visit South Point. it was gorgeous. one of the best places i've ever seen.

Oahu was interesting but Honolulu seems like another big city with malls and department stores. we hiked Diamondhead and went snorkeling in one of the bays. we also did a tour of the Dole Pineapple Plantation which was rather interesting.

don't forget to just drive around and explore. we found some of the most interesting things that way. plus we got to sample some of the fares from the roadside shrimp shacks. deeee-lish!

my friend honeymooned in Maui and really enjoyed it. maui is supposed to be the "natural" island with lots of eco-friendly tours and more outdoorsy type adventures.

Maui and Kaui are on my list for the next time i head to Hawaii.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I went to Oahu in 2001 in September. The weather was great the entire time we were there...about 80-85F and a few short lived showers. The advantage of going in September is that it is on the downside of tourist season so it wasn't quite as crowded. We stayed in Honolulu and traveled about the island on several days. Although I liked Honolulu and think everyone should go at least once, I fell in love with the North Shore and its very laid back attitude, thankfully it doesn't take that long to get there.

Some of our favorite things were: snorkeling in Hanauma Bay, Hilton Head, Turtle Bay, Hilton Hawaiian Village beach, the Polynesian Cultural Center (opt for the 1/2 day tour + dinner), USS Arizona Memorial/Pearl Harbor, Waimea Falls Park, and the Byodo-in Buddhist temple on the north shore.

As for the hotel, we opted not to stay in a beachfront hotel and save a bit of $$ and stayed in a nice hotel one block off the beach across from the Hilton Hawaiian Village (fun place to go in the evenings). We stayed in an Ohana Hotels property which had a small kitchen in it, which was great for a 7 year old. The Ohana chain has a lot of nice and decently priced properties from what I remember. We stayed seven nights and only paid for five since they were running a special.

I booked the trip through www.gohawaiianvacations.com as it was cheaper than the travel agents I talked to. Keep in mind that everything costs more there but if you seek out the local places rather than the touristy ones it isn't so bad. If I ever get the opportunity to go back I think I will go to Hawaii or Maui.

Cheers!
    Kim
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    on Oahu there's a Flea market that occurs every XXXXX near the stadium which is rather close to Pearl Harbor. the flea market was fun to walk around and get some cheaper souvenirs to bring home to family and friends.

we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and enjoyed it. we didn't do too much at the hotel other than sleep and look at their penguins.

on the Big Island we stayed at a privately owned guesthouse which was nice. except for the Chicken Farm next door. let's just say we were able to enjoy many a sunrise thanks to those noisy little buggers.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I prefer kauai over the other islands. To me it seemed more quaint, particularly the Hanalei area. It gets pretty sleepy when the sun goes down. Plenty of recreational things to do, the Na Pali coast is a great hike (it can range from a couple of hours to days if you do the whole thing. Same types of actvities that are found on the other islands. We always stayed at house rental, but the Priceville Resort is incredible (stayed ther for 3 nights) but super expensive. Lots of resorts in Lihue on the southern side of the island.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Went last fall...

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19833

I had lots of good advice, here's mine:

Oahu - Tourist & Nightlife I had to see the USS Arizona, the Dole plantation is neat, the north shore is awesome. Honalulu seemed overrated to me. There are better beaches and volcano sights.

Maui - Big Beach (And *cough* Little Beach *cough* nude...) is stunning, but just about all the beaches along that stretch just rock. If you plan on being there awhile drive the Hana Highway. It is, simply put, unforgettable.

Big Island - We spent most of our time here. Black sand beaches, green sand beach (not easy to get to), volcano, winery, zoo, observatory... You won't run out of things to do. The Painted Church was a favorite of mine, and I don't go in for that stuff.

Here's the best advice I can give...

http://www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/bigisland.html

Best guide book I've ever laid my hands on. Best $20 you can spend before you leave home...

Oh, by the way... If you check, the hop from Oahu to Maui or Kona (Stay on the Kona side of the Big Island) is about $200 for two people. If you book straight into Kona, it's an extra $100 or so for the flight. What we did was fly into Oahu, stayed overnight and saw all the "tourist" stuff, then did the other two islands. The extra $100 is worth it. We did 3 islands, won't do it again because dragging luggage around sucks, but for that trip it worked out great. If you know anyone with Trendwest, have them set you up with rooms. I think we spent around $400 for 8 nights.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2004

Cool thanks for that link Mastiff. I hadn't seen that thread and I guess I just didn't think to run a search

Thanks for the info everyone else. Much appreciated!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    Cool thanks for that link Mastiff. I hadn't seen that thread and I guess I just didn't think to run a search

Thanks for the info everyone else. Much appreciated!

No problem. Once you know the islands you'll be on, let everyone know. I mean, we found some of the neatest little breakfast places and spots for dinner... I'm sure others can give their thoughts, too.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hawaii - What to see
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 20 Mar 2014, 10:26 AM
  2. Dandy's Honeymoon Thread