Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Manhattan NYC with no gas stations?

Gas stations are closing up because rents in Manhattan are increasing and drivers will not pay more for gas to cover the higher rent. There's no crisis or impending crisis here.

Should people really need a gas station in Manhattan, such a station could price gas much higher than stations in Brooklyn or New Jersey and attract all the clients it needs.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    Gas stations are closing up because rents in Manhattan are increasing and drivers will not pay more for gas to cover the higher rent. There's no crisis or impending crisis here.

Should people really need a gas station in Manhattan, such a station could price gas much higher than stations in Brooklyn or New Jersey and attract all the clients it needs.
    I agree with you.. that's microeconomics. There's a convenience factor to purchasing fuel locally vs. in another area of the city. Right now, the convenience factor isn't great enough.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2004

Off topic.

This is happening here as well. Huge prices are currently being paid for petrol stations due to the pressure for land in the city area. 12 million euro for 1/2 acre anyone?

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/com...79CPDICKK.html

The downside (or upside depending on your thoughts on the NY issue) is that the dearth of petrol stations is now beginning to result in destination trips for petrol rather than being able to pull in for fuel as one once did. I myself have begun planning my trips very carefully, in order to get the most economy out of the car. I dont feel it hits me as hard because I never used the banger that much anyway.

Another issue, and this may not be seen so much in somewhere as densely developed as Manhattan, is that of other uses such as pubs which have large parking areas being redeveloped for other uses. Although many of you wont give a whit about the removal of petrol stations from the urban fabric, would you be more upset if your favourite boozer was to be torn down because of market economics?
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Boru
    other uses such as pubs which have large parking areas being redeveloped for other uses.
    Bars with parking lots?
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Bars with parking lots?
    I'm glad I'm not the only one it horrifies. However, pubs are places where families go to eat as well, or thats the argument. I live near a pub with parking for about 200 cars. Its full of cars every night. Id put a checkpoint at either side of the entrance. Either way, it has been sold for redevelopment as per my earlier comment.
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

Registered
    Jun 2006

gas station in manhattan

it seems that many of the residents of the area don't want petrol stations and i'll bet a majority of the rest of the world doesn't care.you talk about 800,000 vehicles daily bnut there are stations within 5 minutes so any fool that goes into the area and runs out pays the price for their stupidity.i'll bet the cost fguel on the island is among the highest in the usa much like the station in the desert between los vegas and barstow ca..theory is very simple.the idiots have to have it so they'll pay the price. so be it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Manhattan
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 19 Oct 2009, 11:09 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 12 Aug 2008, 11:25 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Jun 2007, 2:52 AM
  4. Replies: 5