Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Norquist Plan-Starve the Beast

Registered
    Oct 2001

The Norquist Plan-Starve the Beast

Some of you may be aware of the machinations of "Starve the Beast" Grover Norquist. His ideology is to cut taxes until the point that all government programs beyond the minimal defense establishment are doomed. Of course, cutting taxes doesn't seem to slow spending, as our present idicy shows.,

Interesting conspiracy theorist that Norquist at all know this, that cutting taxes doesn't really slow spending. Maybe their goal is a little more nefarious?

Quote Originally posted by A Tiny Revolution
    What they're trying to do is not force government revenue down so that spending will then be prudently cut. They think Americans are too attached to their disgusting unearned Social Security, Medicare, food, etc. to ever do that. However, they do believe they may be able to crush social spending if there's a gigantic fiscal catastrophe.

So, they've set out to create one. This requires planning and effort over decades, particularly for a country as economically powerful as the U.S. But they've gone a very long way to succeeding.

The most likely motor for such a welcome financial panic is our gigantic foreign debt. The longer this debt accumulates, the more likely it is there will be a rapid collapse in the dollar. Then the fed will jam up interest rates, the economy will stagger, and with the government already heavily indebted there won't be much room to maneuver.

Believe me when I tell you they are already preparing for such a day...

True, this will be disastrous for the U.S. as country. But that's the last thing Norquist & co. care about. What matters to them is their relative power within the U.S. They'd far rather be the upper class in a poor country like Ecuador than the upper class in a rich, developed country. And that's what they're shooting for:
    Excellent thoughts. http://www.tinyrevolution.com/mt/archives/000913.html

But, on the other hand, given our propensit for empire, maybe it's time for a comeuppance? I just hope the dissolution into smaller states can occur and that I can end up in a more civillized one.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I don't have my figures with me, so don't flame me - but isn't defense spending logrithmically(sp) higher in percentage of the federal budget than those silly government programs people always want to get rid of?

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- Well, depending on how you cut the books the military consumes anywhere between 20% and 50% of the federal budget. At least it did under Clinton, now it's probably somewhere between 30% and 60%, again it's how you cut the books (like, is VA a social service or a military expense? The neocons would say the former, most accountants would say the latter).

There was a Reagan advisor who later admited that "supply side economics" was just a ploy to force the government into crisis for the purpose of cutting social spending. I can't remember who it was though.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    ^-- Well, depending on how you cut the books the military consumes anywhere between 20% and 50% of the federal budget. At least it did under Clinton, now it's probably somewhere between 30% and 60%, again it's how you cut the books (like, is VA a social service or a military expense? The neocons would say the former, most accountants would say the latter).

There was a Reagan advisor who later admited that "supply side economics" was just a ploy to force the government into crisis for the purpose of cutting social spending. I can't remember who it was though.
    Stockman? The Budget Director?

It's a pretty stupid plan because even without taxes the beast can still feed itself through the capital markets, and when that fails it feeds itself from inflation and then the economy collapses.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    It's a pretty stupid plan because even without taxes the beast can still feed itself through the capital markets, and when that fails it feeds itself from inflation and then the economy collapses.
    Exactly.

Which is why it is NOT a stupid plan if the plan really is social and governmental collapse, as this writer is arguing. After all, the elites around the Norquist wing will do quite well in a festering third world society in the remnants of the United States.

Such a society will offer plenty of cheap, desperate labor to maintain their class in some degree of luxury in the post-oil era.

My family and I rented an apartment in the new section of Quito... Beyond the office towers, up along the valley walls, were lavish new condominiums and golf courses and tennis clubs. A good French dinner ran about fifteen dollars, a full-time, live-in house servant about twenty-five dollars a month.
    I called them servants; one of my neighbors, Alex, called them slaves...

For someone like Alex—that is, for anyone, American or Ecuadorian, who works in the white-collar end of the petroleum business... Ecuador's ever-increasing poverty was a windfall. The price of slaves kept dropping. "The debt?" Alex said. "I love the debt."
    Last edited by BKM; 09 May 2006 at 3:16 PM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Stockman? The Budget Director?
    Yeah, that's the guy.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 23
    Last post: 23 Jun 2013, 11:11 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 26 Feb 2010, 11:59 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 11:02 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 21 Jun 2007, 11:05 PM
  5. Plan Maker or plan Implementer?
    Make No Small Plans