Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job offers

Registered
    Aug 2005

Job offers

any advice on whether or not to take the first job offer?

i recently interviewed for a position and it looks like they are going to offer me a position. i'm supposed to call the director so we can "work out an agreement" in regards to the position. eeek! i can't believe it.

i'm very excited and happy about the job offer but i'm a little worried about whether or not i should take the first job i'm offered.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    any advice on whether or not to take the first job offer?

i recently interviewed for a position and it looks like they are going to offer me a position. i'm supposed to call the director so we can "work out an agreement" in regards to the position. eeek! i can't believe it.

i'm very excited and happy about the job offer but i'm a little worried about whether or not i should take the first job i'm offered.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you think its a good fit for you then why would you pass it up? Congratulations!

Registered
    May 2005
    Congrats.

Don't let pride stand in the way. Take the job if its a good fit. I wouldn't worry about it being the first offer.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    The best problem one can have is too many job offers. I accepted my first offer out of college, even went to work there for a couple of weeks. Then a much better offer came in. I explained the situation to my employer and gave them a chance to match it, they couldn't. They completly understood when I quit and went to work to the second place. I still have a working relationship with the original firm today (15 years later....ok make that 18 years)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Congrats, I do not think there is anything wrong with accepting first job offer.
    Look at me, I am still there after 14 yrs.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have twice had job offers come in at the same time, and chose one over another because it was a better fit. During another search I turned down four offers because the place did not look like one I would want to work in - either the work environment, or the work itself. On three other occassions I found myself searching without any offers coming in, and ended up accepting one when it finally came along. Funny, but I did not stay in those jobs more than a year or two. I guess what I am saying is that it has always helped me to be very critical in looking at jobs, and where I have jumped into the first or only thing to come along, I have not enjoyed it. Is this a job you really want, or is it simply a job? Can you afford to wait, perhaps months, for another offer to come?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It doesn't matter if it's the first or the tenth. If you want the job, take it. If it doesn't feel right for any reason, don't. Other than right out of college, I have always gotten immediate offers when I'm job hunting. I have no shame in taking the first offer. It's always turned out to be a good fit.

Registered
    Apr 2006

Take the job

when so many people are having to go back to school for masters and phds, or are having trouble even getting internships, i'd take the job. for the majority of positions here (bay area) there seems to be this "minimum 1 year experience" thing that gets in the way for most recent graduates. so, unless it's filing or something worse, its going to look good on your resume no matter what - and after a year you can always move on to something that's a better fit.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I would only pass the job up if you have something better you've applied for and you're sure you have a great chance of getting the better job. Other than that, I have no idea why you wouldn't take it. Doesn't matter if it's your first offer.

Like wedding dresses... a lot of girls feel they can't go with the first one they try on, but I know a lot of girls who, after trying on tons more, ended up going back to that first one, me included.

You shouldn't turn down the first offer just because it's the first offer. However, I think you should reflect upon the interview and any opportunity you had to talk with others employed there. Was the interview with the entire office/department/division? Or was the interview prcess just with one or two big guys/gals? I believe that people who you are engaged with daily have a tremendous influence on whether or not you are satisfied with the job. For me it's about both chemistry and work content. If it will broaden your horizons - go for it.

I took my first offer, and it turned out to be a very bad experience for me in general, but I learned a lot (professionally (on my own) and personally). There is only one reason I am glad I took the job. I wish I had gotten out of there sooner!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    eep.

i just turned down my second job offer. the $$ and benefits weren't quite what i'm looking for in order to live in that part of the country.

i'm gonna roll the dice and hope that one of the the other 8 jobs i applied for pans out.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Deciding between two job offers
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 06 Aug 2010, 3:44 PM
  2. Offers dilemma
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 May 2010, 1:21 AM
  3. 1st/2nd round offers
    Student Commons