Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Books I plan to buy again

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Books I plan to buy again

Following is a short list of some books that I read, most likely in the 1970's or the 1960's. These books have disappeared.....perhaps with an ex-wife, maybe lent to somebody, possibly chewed-up by a dog (think "Baggins" or "Brennan"). Because I liked them so much, I plan on buying them again. I have checked, they are available.

"Another Roadside Attraction"
    This book, by Tom Robbins, tells the story of a group of semi-hippie-types living in the Seattle area. They get involved with a secret society within the Catholc church, a group that actually has the body of Jesus Christ. Far out. I wonder if I will like it now.

"The Jesus Factor"
    This novel tells us that the dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were faked. The premise is that atomic weapons will only go off when stationary. A ridiculous thought.....and I am not a big fan of any kind of conspiracy theory.....but I remember reading it and liking it. (That certainly could have something to do with when I read it.....the "doomsday" clock was near midnight. Many of you younger Cyburbians weren't around back then.)

"The Universal Baseball Association"
    This is a 1960's novel. The main character is a loner who immerses himself in a dice-based baseball league, compiling huge sets of statistics, rosters for every season, histories.....enough baseball stats to make that James guy (with the stats) crazy. The book is a powerful statement about imagination, loneliness, and the randomness of a dice throw (oh those probabilities) and the randomness of our lives. I cannot wait to re-read it! (See De Noc thread for examples. )

And finally, there is an old book somewhere out in my garage. I cannot remember the name of the book but I can remember that it is about a man who is arranging to save Jews from the holocaust by hiding them on a train. (Not "Schindler's List".)

Bear In The Catacombs
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I asked Amazon to send me The Universal Baseball Association, so I could re-read it. I am in the process of doing just that....and am amazed!

This guy in this novel has an imaginary baseball league, with events that occur based on dice throws and elaborate charts that determine the results of the dice throws. As he putts through real-life his fake baseball characters begin to become more and more real (to him).

The book reads like poetry, and the reader will have to concentrate to determine if he is discussing real people and events or imaginary people and events.

This is a fantastic book that touches (quite cleverly) on those who dwell in the imaginary. And it hits a home run with this Bear.......De Noc and all that.

Buy this book!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    "Another Roadside Attraction"
    This book, by Tom Robbins, tells the story of a group of semi-hippie-types living in the Seattle area. They get involved with a secret society within the Catholc church, a group that actually has the body of Jesus Christ. Far out. I wonder if I will like it now.
    i started that and in typical tom robbins fashion i have a really hard time actually getting into the book. im sure once i actually get into it it will go well...

ive bought at least two copies of "house of leaves" and lost at least as many by loaning them out.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 26 Feb 2010, 10:59 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 10:02 AM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last post: 07 Aug 2008, 9:28 AM
  4. Plan Maker or plan Implementer?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 19 May 2004, 5:20 PM