Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mother's day

Registered
    Aug 2005

mother's day

have any of you begun your shopping for mother's day?

my mom has enough stuff so for special days i try to give her things that she can actually use.

this year i'm thinking about giving her an arrangement from Edible Arrangements.

i'm having a difficut time picking out an arrangement to send her because they all look so good!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    have any of you begun your shopping for mother's day?

my mom has enough stuff so for special days i try to give her things that she can actually use.
    1. No have not.
    2. Mom does not need any more clutter (picture if you will a 75 yo who has been in the same house for 40+ yrs),
    so I will send a card and call her.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We'll definitely take her out for lunch/brunch somewhere (my brother's family, my kid and I, and RJ will be here, too). Just don't know where yet. My brother is very slow at making plans. My mom is getting ready to downsize and move into a retirement apartment, so like JNA, I gotta avoid "clutter" stuff. I've started buying her DVD collections of her favorite TV shows, and special edible treats, like fancy cookies or a bottle of wine. (Already have her gift, just have to wrap it!)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    A card with a recent pic of my youngest son and me and a phone call.
    I don't do anything right.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mom gets flowers delivered to her work each year... and a phone call.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Mom is probably going on the trip of her choice. She was Dxd with several cancers the day before last mother's day and has beat them.

She has had a tough year. She had to give up her booze and cigarettes and learn that her children are more important than her vices. I'm proud of her for the first time in my life.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2005
    OMG mothers day!

Thanks for the reminder....

That means not only will i have to buy a present from myself to mum, i will need to purchase one for my dad and sister too.

i better start saving
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by natski
    OMG mothers day!

Thanks for the reminder....
    That was my sentiment exactly. I have unfortunately forgoten Mothers Day completely on a few occassions in the past.

I forget father Day almost every year but I think my pops is cool with that.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    My Mother passed away on Mother's Day, about 16 years ago. I still miss her. She was a wonderful woman with a very dry sense of humor. And could she "style". She always wore clothes that women much younger would wear and she looked good doing that. I have some black and white photos from the 1930's that show my Mother as a beautiful young woman. (She "styled" back then, too.)

Happy (early) Mother's Day to all you Cyburbian moms!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Happy (early) Mother's Day to all you Cyburbian moms!

Bear
    Thanks, Bear, can you send me some Valium to go with those well wishes???
    I used to get ticked about Mother's Day as a child because I sometimes had to share my birthday with it, but now that I'm a mom, I like it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Mom is going to spend two weeks with us (her choice), that's my present (in more ways than one).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm in the "card and a call" crowd - plus her birthday is less than two weeks after Mother's Day, so she'll get her present(s) then.

Just another Hallmark Holiday. My family doesn't make a big deal about these types of days, Thank God.
    I'll send a card or call my mother - and probably have lunch with DH's mom since she's local.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    My mom's b-day was a few weeks ago and I still haven't gotten her a decent gift yet other than dinner at one of her favorite restaurants. After so many years, what can you possibly give someone other than a card?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My mom passed away in March 2003 before Mother's Day and her birthday that year. In 2002, I took her to the beach for the day along with my daughter. I guess that I can honestly say that most mom's would like the gift of time rather than stuff. Take your mom out for brunch, lunch, dinner or on a daytrip if you live near, make an effort to see her if you don't, and if you can't do that really put some thought into writing a nice note telling her how much you appreciate her and send some flowers and call.

In my now "motherless" life I am blessed to have great in-laws who because of a bad experience in trying to eat at the Olive Garden on Mother's Day the year before I married into the clan now throw all the mom's in the family and immediate family friends a huge cookout party where the men do all the cooking and cleaning. Last year there were about 50 people there and we had a great time!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    What???? A Bad Olive Garden exists? Surely you jest.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    What???? A Bad Olive Garden exists? Surely you jest.
    *lol* a 2 hour wait to seat a group of 15 that had a reservation. never eaten at this one in my town so I can't say....but there is something satisfying watching all the men in the family cook (ok BBQ) and clean up while we women get to relax and enjoy the afternoon.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2003
    For the first time, I don't think I will be spending time with my Mom. I'm attending two conferences and a festival, which happens to be all around Mother's Day. Only if I had a car to drive 4 hours to see her...*sigh*

So far, I've purchased a card for her. And, I, of course, plan to call her.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    My mom doesn't appreciate knick knacks, jewelry or flowers, so for years I've just gotten her a card. If I lived near her I'd probably take her out for lunch.

This is my second mother's day as a mommy. Last year my husband got me a locket with my daughter's thumbprint inside. I don't know how he will top that this year.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cch
    Last year my husband got me a locket with my daughter's thumbprint inside.
    Damn, I thought that was a good idea and was going to do it myself. Forgot all about it. Well, there's still her birthday.

Took the family out for dinner tonite and having a cookout tommorrow in the rain for our mom's.

Happy Mother's Day to all mom's.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Me and my family will be going out for brunch tomorrow to celebrate the day. And my mom will be getting two gifts and a card from me. I know, I spoil her. Her birthday (the big 5-0) falls on the same day, but we'll be observing that next week.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We're going out to purchase three (3) trees... one (1) magnolia, and two (2) cherry blossom. I shall dig holes and generally provide labour to the endeavour. Want some shading and noise buffer on our side yard (as we are a corner house). It should also break up the yard a bit and work nicely with some other landscaping we've planned.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there.

ZG is still sleeping but we did the prep-work last night for quiches we're taking to her mom's house. A couple of bottles of California sparkling wine (Chandon brut), are chilled. Her brother and his family will also be there. Should be fun.
    I don't do anything right.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I felt kinda bad cause i didnt spend the day with Mum, i had to play soccer and it took me 40min to travel to the field!

But nethertheless she loved the bedside light i bought her.

Happy Mothers Day to all Cyburbian Mums!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Called MOM and the card was delivered on Saturday.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy Mother's Day!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 11 May 2009, 12:41 PM
  2. What are you doing for Mother's Day?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 14 May 2007, 11:12 AM