Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Handshakes & Other Greetings

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Handshakes & Other Greetings

Last week on the basketball court, whenever anybody popped in a shot the other team members would clench a fist and they would all slowly bump each other's fists. Yesterday at my step-son's graduation I saw the same thing, this time it was the graduates butting fists as they returned to their seats after picking up their diplomas. Obviously, fist-bumping has replaced high fives as a "cool" greeting (or acknowledgement).

In the business world the traditional handshake still rules. Thursday night I was at a business banquet and handshakes were everywhere. But.....one table that was inhabited by early twenty-somethings begged to be different.....when they received their awards they were high-fiving and fist-bumping all over the place.

Alas.....it must be an age thing.
    _____

Once in a while you see people acknowledge each other with the 2-finger sign (victory to some, peace to some), the OK signal (usually created with a rolled thumb and the middle finger, the movie critic's favorite (thumbs up), the Roman Emperor's favorite (thumbs down), and the "gun" shape (usually pointed directly at the person you are acknowledging and you wink while you try to rememember their name).

My friend from up in northern Michigan always stretches his arm out and points, almost giving the impression that he is a teacher in the act of scolding a bad child.
    _____

All of this brings me to my questions. What are your styles of acknowledgement? Do you always shake hands or are you situational and use the method of those around you? Is the multi-step handshake in your bag of tricks? (You shake hands, then you.....believe it or not.....roll your fingers in and you shake hands of rolled fingers. I see this in bars a lot.)

Finally.....the most famous acknowledgement of all.....the middle finger raised. Often used as a sign of friendship and very often used as a sign of hate or disgust.

Rowan & Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    The head nod seems to be pretty common place here. You walk pass someone and as you pass you do the slight head nod while making eye contact, the other guy does the same. It's mostly friendly but can be empathic depending on the situation. Like if your in a department store waiting outside the women's dressing room with your wife's purse, it's diffently a been there done that kind of nod.

Registered
    May 2003
    Bear, where do you get this stuff?
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The upward head nod is common here, as is the usual handshake (among older people/professionals), and the multistep handshake with the younger ones. The "bumping fists" thing is usually seen at sporting events in the event that someone missed a shot, etc as a sort of "better luck next time" kind of thing.

My in-laws are a different story.....being middle eastern they greet everyone and I mean everyone that they know with a kiss on both cheeks. this is sometimes a bit unsettling for me at family events or holidays where there are a lot of people because i'm not a real touchy-feely kinda person.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Historical comedy -

The Little Rascals - Anniversary Trouble (1935)

This film introduced the famous wave, called the High Sign or Hi Sign, where the hand is placed under the chin with the palm down. Since the Little Rascals worked in close proximity to Laurel and Hardy, at the Hal Roach Studios, the High Sign might be related to Oliver Hardy's famous necktie wave.
    Thanks to imdb.com
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I hang out with a lot of "huggy" people. Altho' TN has learned over the years that I don't do that. She'll hug everyone else and then just tell me "Yeah, I know, no hugs.".

Registered
    Jun 2003
    The new and safer way - The Elbow Bump

From the NY Times article:
    Greetings Kill: Primer for a Pandemic
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

I'm a little old fashioned...I'm almost strictly a handshake guy. Sometimes I get pulled into the cool five part handshakes, and while I couldn't tell you what the movements are, I always somehow manage to pull it off.

The highfives are just awkward. Accuracy aside, there are issues of firmness, who starts, walking high fives, the low high fives. Its just too much. Then there is always the risk of them faking you out and making you look like a fool.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I suppose that to some extent I go with the flow. I suppose my personal preference is the head nod thing. I guess old-fashioned hand-shakes are pretty common around the military and that is generally fine with me. I rarely hug people and usually only if they initiate it. I actually have nothing necessarily against hugs. But I do place a very high value on respecting people's boundaries ....probably not something most people here would see as related to whether to hug or not hug. <shrug>

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Most of the time its the traditional handshake, but that depends on the situation.
    At work when I meet someone I shake their hand. In a social, but work related environment its usually hugs. Social setting I always hug my friends.

+ Reply to thread