1 1.92%
  • No, Other reason

8 15.38%
  • WTF is with all these polls

6 11.54%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Di Vinci Code and you.

Didn't read it and won't see it. There's so much real history out there to enjoy, I just don't care to waste time with pseudo-historical novels.

I have a friend, a land-use attorney, who is a really smart guy and deeply Catholic. When the book first came out, I remember him describing the mystery of The Last Supper to me and how it had challenged his faith. I remember asking him point blank: "Mike, you're kidding me, right?" I am surprised at how little some people know about their faith.

The Vatican has certainly given the film millions of dollars of free advertising. I think it would have been better to ignore it.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    The Vatican has certainly given the film millions of dollars of free advertising. I think it would have been better to ignore it.
    For those of you who have read some of the philosphical bantar Maister and I have engaged in, you would know that I have come to believe that Jesus was a gadfly and those seeking power through a hierarichal church are constantly on the defensive because religious teachings as "fact" is tenuous yet necessary to maintain power. My mind was already made up that Jesus existed and was a very influential moralist who threatened political stability of the ruling class and paid the ultimate price.

The modern church coming out so vehemently against the movie gives absolute creedence that they have something to fear. Locally the churches have tried to make discussion of the movie taboo and there are some who won't say what they really thing for fear of being ostricized. This is how the church controls -- through fear and peer pressure.

I began reading the DiVinci Code a couple weeks ago in preparation for the movie. I had no prior knowledge (fictional or otherwise) of the subject matter, but have found that the book's political/religious premise (after all religion is politics and politics is money) fits in very well with my own belief regarding who Jesus was.

I will finish the book this week and see the movie as ordered by LAW-ree.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Read the book simply out of curiosity (over how it became such a pop culture phenomenon) - was underwhelmed by it. I'll probably end up getting the movie though Netflix at some point in the distant future.

For what it's worth, Umberto Eco wrote a much better book with some similar themes (religious conspiracy theories, Holy Grail, secret societies, etc.) back in the late '80s - Foucault's Pendulum , I think...

love the "Tom Hanks sucks" option on the poll

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    When the book first came out, I remember him describing the mystery of The Last Supper to me and how it had challenged his faith. I remember asking him point blank: "Mike, you're kidding me, right?" I am surprised at how little some people know about their faith.
    The local churches around here are advertising "DaVinci Code" classes. Doesn't this imply one's faith in Jesus is easily shaken asunder by a fictional Hollywood movie? I don't get it - if the church's teachings were strong enough, why hold the classes in the first place?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba
    Read the book simply out of curiosity (over how it became such a pop culture phenomenon) - was underwhelmed by it. I'll probably end up getting the movie though Netflix at some point in the distant future.

For what it's worth, Umberto Eco wrote a much better book with some similar themes (religious conspiracy theories, Holy Grail, secret societies, etc.) back in the late '80s - Foucault's Pendulum , I think...
    A friend once referred to the Davinci Code as "Foucault's Pendulum Lite"

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    The local churches around here are advertising "DaVinci Code" classes. Doesn't this imply one's faith in Jesus is easily shaken asunder by a fictional Hollywood movie? I don't get it - if the church's teachings were strong enough, why hold the classes in the first place?
    I've seen signs for church classes advertised as "The DaVinci Debacle" and other such silliness. I've had far to many candid discussions with people who attend church who privately will express reservations about all of the tenents they are taught at church. I think it is healthy and normal for people to reevaluate their beliefs relative to the world around them and their life experiences.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Maybe the reason they are having the classes is to try to get people into church by offering something more people are interested in?

Registered
    May 2003
    The Vatican initially decided to ignore it, but then it kept getting bigger and it became clear that people were taking it seriously, so the Church realized that it had to take a stand.

The problem isn't so much a theological one as that it the movie makes slanderous attacks against the Roman Catholic Church and its institutions. Where Catholics have been most desperate to get the movie banned is in Asian countries where the Catholic population is small and sometimes subject to violence, most notably in India. The attacks against Catholicism in the movie could result in things going very badly in those countries if its shown.

Taken as cheap entertainment, yes, the movie is just cheap entertainment, but taken seriously it is anti-Catholicism that could result in hatred and violence.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    If I do go, I am going to wear a fed-ex shirt, bring beer or a flask, and when the twist happens, I am going to yell you. NOOOOO WIIILLLLLLSSSSSSOOOOOOONNNNNNN!

The US Catholic Bishops released this video as a response. I am sure I can borrow it from my Church if I have questions.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Maybe the reason they are having the classes is to try to get people into church by offering something more people are interested in?
    Good point. But it does seem rather opportunistic. If congregants like movies, then why not host a Church Film Festival? 60 Minutes had a great segment last month about the The Priory Of Sion.

It would be like making a movie about Y2K, you all remember, the earth shattering event that never happened. All Hype about speculation and half-cocked theories with minimal factual basis. I'd love to see a movie about Y2K, bottle the water, can your vegetables, build your underground pods. By the way, is anyone interested in a 5HP Honda Generator (never used)????
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

It's true that it does offer an opportunity for teaching, similar to when Mel Gibson's movie came out, but it's coming as a reaction to something that is for the most part, fictional. It's the idea that one should have to defend oneselves against a set of ideas that are made up. That's the absurdity of it. Does anyone even know if Dan Brown is Catholic?

When people began reading the book, I kept overhearding snippets of conversations which were along the lines of, "Oh, I'm sure it's true - the Catholic Church has so many secrets it's hiding", or "Well, Dan Brown did some of his research at the Vatican Libraries, so it must be right." Huh? That's what I am amazed at. So many people seem as if they're willing to take this whole thing at face value without doing a little legwork on their own.

Does the Church have skeletons in Her closet, you bet. Does that mean She is without credibility or undeserved of Her place in the world - I don't think so. The Church is a living institution inhabited by humans who make mistakes and some of them are truly costly. The rule of infallibility has to meet a lot of requirements in order to be invoked. (If I'm off the mark on that, someone please correct me.)

I also have other practical reasons for not seeing the film - I'm a cheap Yankee. I am not about to pay ten bucks a shot to sit in a theatre with people who are fidgety, or have small children in tow or insist on using their cell phones in the screening rooms. I'll watch it from the comfort of my couch and projector TV.

Plus Tom Hanks bugs me.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Good point. But it does seem rather opportunistic. If congregants like movies, then why not host a Church Film Festival? 60 Minutes had a great segment last month about the The Priory Of Sion.
    True, but why not take advantage of all the hype - help dispel the falsehoods about the movie, plus try to recruit some new members.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    When you have a rigidly hierarchical, wealthy, and powerful institution with a history of secrets, political conniving, and the like, why are Catholic apologists surprised when people start speculating about deep dark secrets?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You forgot one option in the poll

"I don't give a flying (expletive), it is all pop culture hype."

i have not read the book, and don't intend to, and don't really care about the movie.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    plus try to recruit some new members.
    Again, good point, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    As far as the movie goes, I really enjoyed the book and want to see the movie. I am catholic, and completely understand that this is FICTION.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Taken as cheap entertainment, yes, the movie is just cheap entertainment, but taken seriously it is anti-Catholicism that could result in hatred and violence.
    Sounds like a recent movie with Mel Gibson in it.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I did not read the book and I cannot stand Tom Hanks. I figure the movie studio would have to pay me to go see garbage like that.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- Probably not anti-Catholicism so much but anti-Semitism, sure. Gibson's a freak anyway and that movie deserved any attacks it got.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago

Registered
    Oct 2000
    We've gotten out for a movie MAYBE three times in the last year.

We *are* planning a movie night out next weekend, but Hugh Jackman and his dreamy biceps have trumped Tom Hanks' nasty long hair.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BeansandCod
    Does anyone even know if Dan Brown is Catholic?

I decided to look it up. He's a New England Blue Blood Protestant, private boarding school and all.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    That is idiotic. I'm not Catholic, I read the book as fun fiction, and it didn't influence me one way or another about religion or the Catholic church. Do you think all non-Catholics are stupid? If you watch Larry the Cable Guy, does that make you want to come down here and beat up on rednecks???

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    That is idiotic. I'm not Catholic, I read the book as fun fiction, and it didn't influence me one way or another about religion or the Catholic church. Do you think all non-Catholics are stupid? If you watch Larry the Cable Guy, does that make you want to come down here and beat up on rednecks???
    I think jordanb was referring to his earlier post in this thread about the potential for violence in India and China. In case you missed it, the Chinese government took it upon itself recently to ordain two bishops of the Catholic church. The Pope, uh, was not amused.

Let's remember what violence a few cartoons in a Danish newspaper caused around the world.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    No, I don't think all non-Catholics are stupid, nor do they feel threatened by us Catholics. But in a country where Catholics are a disliked and ill-tolerated minority I can see where it can be used as an excuse to indulge in some violent behavior. We all know that even if the cause doesn't fit perfectly there are always those few unhinged people that will use it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Code enforcement
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Jun 2005, 9:37 AM
  2. Da Vinci Code...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 11 Nov 2004, 1:01 AM
  3. Form based codes Form Code