6 11.54%
+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: The Di Vinci Code and you.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by natski
    I disliked the book- i read Angels and Demons before i read TDVC and i felt that in comparision TDVC sucked big time.
    Whats with some middle aged professor always falling in love with much younger women and a mickey mouse watch?

Totally over it!

Eh.... Actually after reading Angels and Demons, you pretty much read the da vinci code... that was my impression and I also read A&D first.

Will I see the movie... maybe but not in a theater... maybe I'll wait for the DVD.

Now what's the big fuss about it? So a fictional book can bring down the entire Catholic belief system? I don't think so... I mean... it would be very very very sad if it were true.
    Fiction =! Reality =! Faith Why can't people understand that?!?!?!?!

(Notational remark for those not into computers: "=!" means "not equal to")

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    A friend once referred to the Davinci Code as "Foucault's Pendulum Lite"
    Somebody else said something similar to me once as well. I think I may head to the library after work and see if it is available since that now makes a couple of references to that particular book.

My church likes to use pop culture/current events as inspiration for various classes periodically, finding it better stimulates discussion and application. In fact, I've been working up a topic plan for Spring 2008 based on the book God's Politics by Jim Wallis to compliment the election that Fall, using a seminar discussion/debate style format (doing my best to keep it balanced with no mention of particular candidates or parties).

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton

Now what's the big fuss about it? So a fictional book can bring down the entire Catholic belief system? I don't think so... I mean... it would be very very very sad if it were true.
    Fiction =! Reality =! Faith Why can't people understand that?!?!?!?!

(Notational remark for those not into computers: "=!" means "not equal to")
    After having a lecture on science and religion- faith is a huge thing that people just dont understand.

I personally think that the Churches are insecure- and have spent their time causing controversy, when they could have used it to promote the church.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mtn Woman
    After all, "Im Himmel, es gibt kein bier!" (In Heaven, there is no beer.) Beer Barrel Polka.
    Not the real topic, but I thought it was: "Es gibt kein Bier auf Hawaii, es gibt kein Bier, drum geh' ich nicht nach Hawaii, drum bleib ich hier..."

There's no Beer on Hawaii, that's why I'll stay here....hehehe

Also, I'll go see the movie...I like the book (Angels and Demons, too).
    I don't know what the big deal is, it IS fiction. Some of the ideas are pretty ingriguing, but...hellooooooo... FICTION!!!
    Bring on Spring Training...

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mtn Woman
    After all, "Im Himmel, es gibt kein bier!" (In Heaven, there is no beer.) Beer Barrel Polka
    I guarentee you there's beer in Catholic Heaven, and lots and lots of wine.

From Ebert's review of the film:

Quote Originally posted by Roger Ebert
    Dan Brown's novel is utterly preposterous; Ron Howard's movie is preposterously entertaining. Both contain accusations against the Catholic Church and its order of Opus Dei that would be scandalous if anyone of sound mind could possibly entertain them. I know there are people who believe Brown's fantasies about the Holy Grail, the descendants of Jesus, the Knights Templar, Opus Dei and the true story of Mary Magdalene. This has the advantage of distracting them from the theory that the Pentagon was not hit by an airplane.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    I guarentee you there's beer in Catholic Heaven, and lots and lots of wine.
    Hey, if it was good enough for Jesus it's good enough for me! Besides, we'll all need the fortification just to deal with all those relatives we'll see again.
    Sheesh - they were a handful the first time; hope Purgatory makes a difference.

Terrible movie. Big reveals happen for no reason at all. It's just a bunch of people standing around going "BUT OF COURSE!!!" The most interesting part of the story is just a powerpoint slide show by Ian McKellen.

Jean Reno needed more screen time.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was much better.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    Terrible movie. Big reveals happen for no reason at all. It's just a bunch of people standing around going "BUT OF COURSE!!!" The most interesting part of the story is just a powerpoint slide show by Ian McKellen.
    Yep, I completely agree. The Priory revealing itself and the discovery of the documents was vastly different then the book.... GRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by iamme
    My Brother-in-law said Angels and Demons was much better too. He really liked it, I've yet to read it though.
    I thought the book was okay, but not as good as the hype. That being said... I had a 3.5-hour layover in the Seattle airport yesterday, and the other books just weren't doing it for me. So I picked up the prequel, and so far I think it's pretty good (I'm about 2/3 through it). I wish I had read it first!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Saw the movie with my Grandmother over the weekend. It was so entertaining she fell asleep about 20 minutes into it, and missed the first 1/3 of the movie. That said, she wasn't impressed.

And neither was I. I haven't read the book, don't plan on reading the book, and would not recommend this movie at the theater. Wait until DVD, when you can fast forward through the film and get to the good parts - the scenes with Ian McKellan.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Code enforcement
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Jun 2005, 8:37 AM
  2. Da Vinci Code...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 11 Nov 2004, 12:01 AM
  3. Form based codes Form Code