Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Will Al Gore run as an Independent in 08’?

Registered
    Apr 2003

Will Al Gore run as an Independent in 08’?

More importantly could he win this time around? After reading this article, I was surprised to hear that some democrats think that he might run. With it set up for a few leading Democrats to run for office, they think that Al would run as an independent, causing severe problems for the Democrats. His appearance on SNL this past week showed his humorous side, he is far more internet savvy than most politicians and works with both Google and Apple, and he does not have many of the public concerns that Hillary has.

What are your thoughts?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I think there were some compelling reasons why W. got nearly as many votes as Al back in 2000 and I don't think Al running against another non-incumbent is going to play out much different.

Nope, don't see Gore in 2008.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well, I'd prefer him to Kerry or Hillary.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    The man has been running for president forever. He got robbed the last time. I think he knows his opportunity has come and gone. Of course the Democrats don't have a viable candidate, unless Hillary throws her hat in the ring and she definitely has a lot of people against her.

A run by Gore as an Independent wouldn't work.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2001
    He'll run on a platform to eradicate the man-bear-pig because he is super serial.

Excelsior!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Well, I'd prefer him to Kerry or Hillary.
    Me too... I'd vote for Gore (again).
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    He'll run on a platform to eradicate the man-bear-pig because he is super serial.

Excelsior!

good call

Registered
    May 2003
    Getting scared about the prospects of that Cheney/Rumsfield ticket there eh, mskis?

Gore, like Dean, is too much of a company man to run independent. Although he might make a pretty strong contender for the nomination now that the Clinton era is the "good 'ole days."
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Getting scared about the prospects of that Cheney/Rumsfield ticket there eh, mskis?
    It will be Romney/Giuliani ticket, and they will win!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Off-topic:

You honestly think Giuliani is willing to play second fiddle on a ticket? I really don't see that happening and believe it is far more likely that he ends up in a cabinet position--I'd even go so far as to say regardless of which party wins.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    I wonder where the Republican Right or the Conservative Corporatist Media (It's true! ) would stand on Giuliani's past infidelities?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Off-topic:

You honestly think Giuliani is willing to play second fiddle on a ticket? I really don't see that happening and believe it is far more likely that he ends up in a cabinet position--I'd even go so far as to say regardless of which party wins.
    Off-topic:

I think that people are going to remind him of his past affairs and issues, and tell him to do 8years as VP and then move up. Additionally, while he may have been mayor of the US’s biggest city, he has not held any higher position than mayor. Mitt on the other hand is a successful governor who has been able to work in cooperation with the drunken murder and John Kerry, and comes from a family of politicians.

Many people will see it as a win-win, but I don’t think that Rudi will win the primary. He will do ok, but not win.

I do wonder what Gore is thinking... his SNL bit was funny.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I'll say the chance Gore will run is maybe 40%. The chance as an independent if he does run? Say 10%.

Gore's loss was partly due to his smugness. We all remember his sighing and guffaws during the debates as if to say to George, "You're an idiot". That turned a lot of people off. But now that Gore has been a loser, he takes himself less seriously, and he has the lustre of the underdog. Eight years after losing was all Nixon needed to win in 68.

Gore will be a seasoned yet still virile age 60 in 2008. His SNL sketches were good.
    Brief Off-topic: Julia Louis-Dreyfuss looked good on Seinfeld, now she's downright hot!

I'll have to see his movie, "An Inconvenient Truth". Addressing global warming does get at the issue of peak oil and sprawl if somewhat tangentially. If Gore could have the balls to make being green seem patriotic, and pick an appealing running mate, I think he could win. I'd vote for Gore any day, over Kerry or Hillary. A Nixon like comeback may just be in the cards for Gore.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Guiliani will never be a nominee as a Republican for president. His support for progressive social agenda will sink him with the radical Christian right (Pro-choice, gay rights, etc). If he did get the nomination we would be assured that an independent Christian Right candidate would also run and make his chances more difficult.

Romney is a joke and will be laughed off of the big stage. He is so slimy it is scary. The best chance the Republican ticket has is McCain.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In reality, I don’t think that Gore will run. Hillary scares him too much.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    In reality, I don’t think that Gore will run. Hillary scares him too much.
    Hillary scares me too much!

Kim
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 55
    Last post: 19 Oct 2007, 12:41 AM
  2. Gore area
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Apr 2006, 4:49 PM
  3. Sharing Independent Radio
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Nov 2004, 5:19 PM