Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Forum Jump Feature Missing?

Forum Jump Feature Missing?

Is it just me (quite possible), is it because I have to use IE at work, is it both, or is the forum jump feature missing from the bottom of each thread page?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Is it just me (quite possible), is it because I have to use IE at work, is it both, or is the forum jump feature missing from the bottom of each thread page?
    Forum jump was temporarily disabled, along with mouseover thread preview and avatars, to cut down on server usage. (It's not the bandwidth, but rather the burden on the current server's processor.) Cyburbia may be booted from its current host, and until I find a replacement (most likely a virtual server, I can't afford a dedicated server), I've got to cut down features that may impact the server.

Expect more features to be cut until we move or get kicked off. Sorry.

Quote Originally posted by Web host
    Hi Daniel,

I'm contacting you regarding resource usage for your account cyburbia.org on A Small Orange Software's hosting service. We've determined your account to be using an excessive amount of CPU time and memory on the server. Your site is currently responsible for 10-20% of the CPU time and up to 33% of the memory usage on the system over the past few weeks. Per our Terms of Service, this site will not be able to remain on our shared hosting service and will need to move off. Please contact me so we can discuss your options.

-Tim Dorr
    Owner/Manager
    A Small Orange Software

Registered
    May 2003
    Dan, why not ask for another round of donations?
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Thanks for the quick reply boss. We want to help, and we're ready to help. Just say the word.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Dan, why not ask for another round of donations?
    Sorry, no fundraisers, although I appreciate the sentiment. I really feel uncomfortable making users feel obligated to make donations. Cyburbia needs revenue, which is why I'm so desperate for increased exposure and visitor traffic from what we call the "blueshirts." With that comes more interest in the front page banner ads, and the possibility of being able to charge for things such as job listings. The "other planning site" takes in at least a couple thousand a month, if not more. Cyburbia earns $60 to $100 a month from Google ads.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Maybe......

I for one would wear a BIG Cyburbia pin to all professional functions and sing the song for as long as needed if you would like.....This could be effective if we all attended state meetings and local meetings with other planners

Have the Cyburbia leaders ever considered Sub-Forums for individual States??? A place that "blue shirts" and more down to earth planners could go for specific advice by state? Maybe only those of us registered from that state could view that forum and post in the forum......just an idea....not sure how this would work or not work from a technical standpoint.....but I do think it would help market the site to more practicing planners as a place to go for local advice that is specific enough to each state, without interference from the masses... Just my two cent idea.....or maybe just one cent
    Skilled Adoxographer

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Have the Cyburbia leaders ever considered Sub-Forums for individual States??? A place that "blue shirts" and more down to earth planners could go for specific advice by state? Maybe only those of us registered from that state could view that forum and post in the forum......just an idea....not sure how this would work or not work from a technical standpoint.....but I do think it would help market the site to more practicing planners as a place to go for local advice that is specific enough to each state, without interference from the masses... Just my two cent idea.....or maybe just one cent
    Moderator note:
    Yes, we've tried, and they've failed for lack of use. APA National will not allow Divisions to use Cyburbia either, due to their policy on "anonymous" usernames. Dan call fill in any blanks I've missed.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Sorry, no fundraisers, although I appreciate the sentiment. I really feel uncomfortable making users feel obligated to make donations. Cyburbia needs revenue, which is why I'm so desperate for increased exposure and visitor traffic from what we call the "blueshirts." With that comes more interest in the front page banner ads, and the possibility of being able to charge for things such as job listings. The "other planning site" takes in at least a couple thousand a month, if not more. Cyburbia earns $60 to $100 a month from Google ads.
    You get paid for each click on a google banner, right? Perhaps we should all adopt a policy that anytime we logon to cyburbia we each click three google ads...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan

Dan.... if you put up a donation button nobody's going to feel obligated to make donations, those that want to will, and those that don't want to (or can't) won't.

Is it so hard to believe that some people really want to donate money to keep this site up and running?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Dan.... if you put up a donation button nobody's going to feel obligated to make donations, those that want to will, and those that don't want to (or can't) won't.

Is it so hard to believe that some people really want to donate money to keep this site up and running?

Agreed... If this place went away, I'd be very bummed. I'd prefer to drop my APA membership, along with their rag, and "join" Cyburbia... as if my boss would notice me switching something in my memberships and publications line item!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    You get paid for each click on a google banner, right? Perhaps we should all adopt a policy that anytime we logon to cyburbia we each click three google ads...
    It's against Google policy to encourage people to click ads just so you can make more money. If they see sudden. sharp spikes in the ratio of visitors to ad clicks, it's possible that Cyburbia could be kicked out of the Adsense program.

I'm not saying "don't click" - check out an ad it interests you, because that's what they're there for -- but please don't click only with the intent of sending more cash my way. I appreciate the thought, though.

Gotta' stay honest, you know.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Moderator note:
    Yes, we've tried, and they've failed for lack of use. APA National will not allow Divisions to use Cyburbia either, due to their policy on "anonymous" usernames. Dan call fill in any blanks I've missed.
    That's correct. Quoting a recent message from Mike Welch at APA National that was forwarded to me:

I have since learned that we can't link to a Cyburbia forum from the [division] site on APA's www.planning.org, since it is our policy not to provide anonymous web forums for our members. APA's policy is that members should be willing to identify themselves, and able to identify others, in their online discussions.
    Our experience with APA state and local chapter message boards has left a lot to be desired. Usually someone will contact me, and ask me to set it up. I create the site, customize the graphics, and ... it gets hung up in bureaucracy. Usually I'm told it needs the approval of some executive board at the next state conference; sometimes the webmaster of the state chapter site just doesn't link to it, so the subforum sits unknown and unusued. Years ago, I created some full-blown Web sites, pro-bono, for various state chapters, only to have them say "never mind" at the last minute.

The only successful APA state chapter message board on Cyburbia is APA Iowa, and that's because it's integrated with their listserv.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I just re-enabled avatars, since I found out their use really doesn't impact the server that much.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Jump the Shark
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 03 Feb 2009, 9:10 AM
  2. Reasons To Jump the Shark
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 06 Jul 2008, 12:01 PM
  3. Public to private jump
    Career Development and Advice