Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Honest, it talked to me!

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Tom R's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    2,255

    Honest, it talked to me!

    Just what the world needs, talking urinals. Talking comodes next? What would they say? "Ok, you're done a** h***."

    http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...1974227&page=1
    WALSTIB

  2. #2
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Packing to move out of the icebox.
    Posts
    13,649
    I would say that it would scare the p**** out of a drunk guy, but he is already relieving himself so it would not matter too much!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

  3. #3
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    19,133
    I wonder if our resident urinal screen mogul (Bear) is getting any ideas reading this thread?

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327
    This Bear's company sells more than 3,000,000 urinal screens each year. About 60% of those screens are flat vinyl, so they have no "plastic apparatus" to be replaced by a motion-sensor device that activates the announcement. The other 40% do have the plastic "cage" that holds the block. (We have major national contracts so there is a real good chance that most of you Cyburbian men have taken aim for a product from my company.)

    Somebody at the workplace had mentioned this public service announcement urinal screen. The article in this thread is the first chance I had to actually read about it. Interesting, although my company will not be involved.

    One of our most popular urinal screen messages has been "Say No To Drugs". About 20% of our urinal screens get some sort of message, most often the logo for the company that is doing the janitorial supplies distribution. The idea behind that is to catch the attention of the janitor who is replacing the screens.....he/she sees that company name over and over (repitition) and gravitates to that company when it is time to purchase more.

    I probably mentioned this a couple years ago.....we also did an Osama Bin Laden urinal screen, shortly after the 9-11 events. That screen was pictured in "Sports Illustrated", in a pre-Olympics article.
    _____

    If it wasn't being used for a public service message, it would be fun to have a collection of phrases, such as "Hey, Shorty", "Please aim higher", "Hey, you're splashing me", etc.

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  5. #5
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Section 14-12-7, 3rd PM
    Posts
    2,096
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    If it wasn't being used for a public service message, it would be fun to have a collection of phrases, such as "Hey, Shorty", "Please aim higher", "Hey, you're splashing me", etc.

    Bear
    My favorite "Don't eat the big pink mint"

  6. #6
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    My favorite "Don't eat the big pink mint"
    When I take visitors (or new employees) on a tour of our plant they usually comment about the "smell". All of those urinal screens, most wrapped in plastic bags, emit very strong scents. You would not believe the names we have given some of those scents.....we even have a scent (screen) called "Bubblegum".

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  7. #7
    Cyburbian el Guapo's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Samsara
    Posts
    5,074
    The one in the airport just called me "Sir" with all the seriousness it could muster.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 139
    Last post: 23 Aug 2011, 12:05 AM
  2. Honestly, How Honest are you?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 23 Jun 2011, 7:58 PM
  3. Replies: 42
    Last post: 07 Aug 2007, 9:11 AM
  4. Finally An Honest Politician
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 21 Sep 2006, 2:45 PM