Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Employees Bring Own Toilet Paper to Work

Registered
    Jun 2003

Employees Bring Own Toilet Paper to Work

Headline and Article from the AP Wire.
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- "It was BYOTP time in Buffalo: Bring Your Own Toilet Paper.
    A county budget crisis left the bathrooms in a municipal office building with empty soap dispensers, paperless paper towel holders and bare cardboard toilet paper rolls. Employees also complained the bathrooms weren't being cleaned.

"It's almost humorous, but it's disgusting,"
    "
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Dang you, JNA. Ya beat me to it!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    That's just wrong...

There's a running joke between myself and a couple of co-workers about using the bathroom at work that even includes it's own special terminology. For decency’s sake I won’t post it all but here are a couple of pertinent ones we came up with.

PAPER CARRIER: am individual who, for no apparent reason save their own ass vanity, brings their own toilet paper to the bathroom. Such individuals regard BUM-WIPE BUMs as the lowest form of human existence.

BUM-WIPE BUM: a person who tries borrow extra paper under the stall wall. Considered a taboo punishable by stoning in the Midwest.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    This thread could also be titled "Yet Another Reason Why It's Fun to Work for County Government in New York State While Pataki is Governor."
    Last edited by SGB; 17 Mar 2005 at 2:44 PM. Reason: further elaboration
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Ok, confession here, I bring my own tp to work. Sorry, I find most public restrooms repulsive and some of the people I work with don't seem as hygenic as they should be. If only there was a place I could dig a hole -nevermind.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    some of the people I work with don't seem as hygenic as they should be.
    I have co-workers like this too, it's like, cmon water and soap are not your enemy.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    The article states some of the bathrooms seemed to be intentionally trashed. Since the lack of bathrooms supplies occured in only one building, it leads me to believe that bitter, soon to be laid off county workers set this up as a headline grabbing event.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by iamme
    I have co-workers like this too, it's like, cmon water and soap are not your enemy.
    That is why you never eat mints that are unwrapped at restaurants or the other communal foods.

I have noticed that a number of people do not wash their hands at work so I won't let them use my pens or borrow some of my stuff and if I do, I also sanitaze it after I get it back.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi

I have noticed that a number of people do not wash their hands at work so I won't let them use my pens or borrow some of my stuff and if I do, I also sanitaze it after I get it back.
    Good lord, it's a female Howard Hughes...

Registered
    Feb 2003
    First, ZG, you are evil.

For a short while, I thought people brought in their own toliet paper in our special bathroom but no, my office pays for both the nice and cheap stuff. So you can decide which bathroom you may need depending on the situation.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Time to forgo handshakes with the fine people of Buffalo...

Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I've considered bringing my own, because the stuff that is provided is so cheap and nasty - thin and scratchy. But I don't really want to carry round my own toilet roll!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    I've considered bringing my own, because the stuff that is provided is so cheap and nasty - thin and scratchy. But I don't really want to carry round my own toilet roll!
    ditto.

on an side note, I hate the fact that public restrooms at the work place lets you know who does not wash their hands... It is so hard to have a serious meeting with someone you just witnessed walking out of a stall and bypassing the sink.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We have several wall-mounted hand sanitizers located outside of the bathroom areas in several places in the office- I think they're great!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Well Erie county's bathrooms were once again the feature on last nights local news. It turns out county employees are required to pay $9 and some change a month for the privelege of using their office's bathrooms. The story stated that the money simply went to the security firm providing the keys and the county got no money. The story stated security concerns as the reason (they don't want strangers entering the bathrooms, esp. the ladies).

Registered
    Aug 2005
    sad to say but for some schools in New Orleans children have to bring their own TP to school.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I should begin doing this. The assrag available here is not as soft as the assrag I have at my pad.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by iamme
    Too many times have I heard a pretty vigorous flush from the person in the next stall...and then silence.... (no sound of the sink tap being run, let alone the soap dispenser)

I am a little nervous about shaking hands here.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    And yet I know of one gentleman who will do is #2 only at work because when he is there he gets paid for taking a .....
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    sad to say but for some schools in New Orleans children have to bring their own TP to school.
    At my Catholic school in grade school everyone was required to bring a box of tissue paper to school at the beginning of the year, which the teacher put into a pool for everyone to use.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    And yet I know of one gentleman who will do is #2 only at work because when he is there he gets paid for taking a .....
    That sounds like a STANattitude if I have ever heard one.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    At my Catholic school in grade school everyone was required to bring a box of tissue paper to school at the beginning of the year, which the teacher put into a pool for everyone to use.
    We had to do this as well... in a heavily funded suburban Denver school district to boot.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Detroit public schools had no toilet paper or paper towels.. heck they did not even have doors on the stalls. I was a shooter. I went to catholic schools back when the AOD had $$. We always had enough toilet paper to jam into a bowl and make it overflow!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Hey, at least they don’t have to bring their own toilet!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I thought it was bad that I have to bring my own kleenex to work.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Work sample question - to bring or not to bring
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Jan 2013, 12:40 PM
  2. Toilet seat up or down
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 14 Jul 2010, 3:58 AM
  3. Bring your dog to work
    Friday Afternoon Club