Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Go Tigers!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Go Tigers!

All you Tigers fans, take note!

Detriot is in first place in the American League central division!

They have the best record in baseball right now, 27-13.

Wow!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Detriot is in first place in the American League central division!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Great pic, Mastiff. Hell, MI, is a little town in a forested area northwest of Ann Arbor. Good little bar there, with great cheese-a-burgers.

We Tiger fans are enjoying this. We haven't been in first place this late in the season since the beginning of Bill Clinton's presidency (or something like that). It is a long season, yet.....

Hitting continues to be good....and, more importantly, timely. If anybody remembers the Tiger team of 1968 the number of late-inning runs was high. (Hey, Business Suit Jax.....do you know your Cardinal history? Who did Detroit come-from-behind (3 games to 1 at one point) to beat in 1968?)

Middle-inning pitching has been very good. Home runs are being hit in a stadium not really designed for the long ball.

Bring on the Cincinnati Reds!

(To be fair.....Detroit still has't played a lot of games against division leaders.)

Paw Paw Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    <snip>
    If anybody remembers the Tiger team of 1968 the number of late-inning runs was high. (Hey, Business Suit Jax.....do you know your Cardinal history? Who did Detroit come-from-behind (3 games to 1 at one point) to beat in 1968?)

Bring on the Cincinnati Reds!
    Paw Paw Bear
    Of course, the '68 series was stolen from the rightful holders -- the St. Louis Cardinals. Jax knew that, I'm sure. (Cards fans know and appreciate their history.)

The Reds? Bear! Please, you need to check in with your docs, man.

Detroit is indeed having a very nice spring. I hope they keep it going for an exciting summer.

I'll meet you in St. Lou in October.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    (Hey, Business Suit Jax.....do you know your Cardinal history? Who did Detroit come-from-behind (3 games to 1 at one point) to beat in 1968?)
    Thanks almost exclusively to Mickey Lolich, who won three games of the four to compensate for Denny McLain's great big dump of a Series.

Last year, I got to go to a signing and I'm happy to say that I have Mickey Lolich and Bill Freehan on the same ball. Mickey also let me hold his World Series ring. I'm not easily awed, but I was that day.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    The big test will be after they loose one. If they can come back to win the next game, then they might have a chance. The Tigers will do great until they loose one or two and then their stats will bottom out. If they can keep the motivation alive, they might actually make the 1st round of the playoffs!

*Been a Tiger fan since 79...
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2005
    They remind me of the Orioles last yet, and we all know how that turned out

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Is it 1984 again? I better start turning over police cars!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Is it 1984 again? I better start turning over police cars!
    A big BOO on you! Detroit doesn't need any of that again!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    A big BOO on you! Detroit doesn't need any of that again!

One of the funniest, yet saddest things I saw was that night. When the tigers won I was standing at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull. The first thing I remember are all of the bottles being thrown in the air and everyone hitting the decks.

As the game let out, there was dancing in the street, people swinging from the mast arms of traffic signals (how they got up there I don't know). An a poor Greyhound bus was coming down Michigan at the the time. Well the bus was surrounded by people. pouding on it. It seems the driver had not anticipated this, and never bothered to lock the storage compartments. So out of the bus comes everyones luggage, and clothes and bages are flying everywhere, while the people on the bus looked in horror. I hope no one had their life savings down there because it was wasted in the crowd.

Soon the mounted police came in formation and cleared the area in seconds. It was amazing to see them used for crowd control.

I never saw a car overturned or on fire that night until I looked in the morning newspaper.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    They remind me of the Orioles last yet, and we all know how that turned out
    True, the Orioles were in the AL East race until at least the All-Star break, but their pitching was no where near what the Tiger's pitching has done. As in all of MLB, pitching is the great equalizer.

P.S. Too bad it looks like they're going to lose tonight
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The World Champion White Sox are only one game behind the Tigers, so I see them getting back into first place soon.

Very interesting though that the Tigers are in first right now, nevertheless. I haven't been paying attention to their team that much though. Have they acquired a lot of good players, changed management, or just on a lucky streak?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Detroit Tigers in 1st???
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 09 Apr 2004, 6:57 PM