Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day Weekend - 2006

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Memorial Day Weekend - 2006

I need to complete my domestic chores in preparation for next weekendís visitors (yo, Rascal). Iím thinking some time at the beach reading a book, margaritas by the pool, in the pool, in the hot tub, and lots of food and drink.

Anybody else have plans for the long weekend?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    How nice of you to ask. You are a real gentleman.

My step-son graduates from high school on Saturday. After the graduation a few family members are getting together at the Bear shack to drink a few beers and eat some cake and ice cream. (The real party is in a couple weeks. Info on another thread.)

Katie and this Bear plant o do some work around the house. I may be painting portions of the big garage. I have some wood to replace on the side with the outside steps. Fun, huh?

I am also taking some much-deserved and (even more so.....) much-needed vacation time. I will be off on Tuesday and Wednesday after Memorial Day. Fishing in the scenic Irish Hills is in the plans.

Bear In Bass Boat
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Beach weekend for me. Picking up lots of books to take with me to read. Mr. S.C. is the Grillmaster for the entire beach gang. I get some long needed rest.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm driving 6 hours with a teenager and a big dog so I can spend a few days poolside, with the resident pool boy keeping those margaritas coming.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Well, the fiance and I wanted to go to the family cabin (yes, I know it is virtual suidice to drive on this weekendin the Colo. Mtns.)
    The last time we were up there a storm knocked the power out, and we trucked back to the flat country.
    Well, I get a call from my folks yesterday that the cabin is open and we'll ALL be there.

"This really was going to be a weekend of alone time, Pops"
    "Oh, I took the weekend off of work already. I want to go fishing... but if you want to be alone, we'll stay in Denver..."

That darn catholic guilt comes out again.

Gonna have to be a straight shooter with this one. I want a weekend with my girls only.

We'll figure it out.

If we stay home, I will probably be cooking some elk meat, drinking beer and replacing trees.

We can wait until the 4th of July.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Grrrr.......

On Saturday (a week before Memorial Day Weekend) this Bear hooked up the bass boat to the truck.....check, all lights on trailer working.....check, outboard motor starts up......che.....oh oh.....

The motor started up (with the water provided via "ear muffs" and a garden hose that one uses if running a water-cooled outboard motor when it is not in the water) but there was a whining sound. Not loud, but a sound I had not heard before.

I waited for the steady stream of water that would be exiting the motor, a bit above where the water line would be. This would be the water that has cooled the motor. There was no steady stream, so I had to shut 'er down.

I might have a water pump problem. I don't want to harm the motor so I will have to take it in for a service check before I head out on any fishing adventure. I might be growling but I can also be thankful that it is caught BEFORE I hook that puppy up to the truck and head for the YooPee in late July.

Depending on how fast they can service it, my Memorial Day fishing plans may be changed. (I was also invited out on a friend's Lake Erie boat, to fish for Walleye, in the "Walleye Capitol of the world", western Lake Erie).

Spinner-Bait Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    All I know is that it's supposed to be in the 90s in Chicagoland this weekend.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    I waited for the steady stream of water that would be exiting the motor, a bit above where the water line would be. This would be the water that has cooled the motor. There was no steady stream, so I had to shut 'er down.
    Could be the impeller, not that big of a deal. I hated those muff things, could never get them to work right.
    Depending on how fast they can service it, my Memorial Day fishing plans may be changed. (I was also invited out on a friend's Lake Erie boat, to fish for Walleye, in the "Walleye Capitol of the world", western Lake Erie).

Spinner-Bait Bear
    I found out its a lot more fun riding on someone elses boat. No worries, no headaches, less responsibities, can drink more beer. That's when I decided to sell the boat.

Two best days of a boat owners life...the day you get it...and the day you get rid of it.

Registered
    May 2006
    Going to a twice-in-a-lifetime extended family reunion --
    Planning on leaving Astoria NY Friday morning early and driving thru Atlantic city to the ferry that goes across to Chincoteague. The whole trip is Concord NH area to Blacksburg VA, returning on Monday.

Now that I say that, it sounds like it could be really bad traffic.(I'd love some traffic hints from anyone . . .).

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Nothing in mind yet. I was in Buffalo last weekend, and I'm going in June for a high school reunion (22 years - go figure), so I'm probably going to stick around town. Work on the yard a lot, complete refinishing a table, give the house a deep cleaning, maybe explore a bit more of Cleveland, maybe visit a veteran's cemetery.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon

I found out its a lot more fun riding on someone elses boat. No worries, no headaches, less responsibities, can drink more beer. That's when I decided to sell the boat.

Two best days of a boat owners life...the day you get it...and the day you get rid of it.
    You aren't kidding!! I was just having this same conversation with a coworker the other day. I don;t know that I have ever had a full day on the lake without something going wrong with the boat, from minor to major problems, it just doesn;t matter, something is always a hassle, unless of course it isn't your boat

For thelong weekend I of course will be heading to the Lake of Ozarks...the boys and one of my girlfriends and I will will be chillin at the pool for three days and once I have worn the monsters out with a full day of swimmng my friend and I will hit the bars for a bit...always a crazy weekend at the lake...

I may go visit my friend in Eau Claire, but am not looking forward to 600 miles of driving. My brother lives in Madison but he's away that weekend.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    we are opening camp, a tradition, of a friend of ours - the camp is on a little island in the middle of a lake in the shadow of Katahdin

can't wait, as you might have guessed!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Up north, we are celebrating may 2-4 today (Victoria Day). Weather is between rotten and miserable, can't decide what to do.

Probably go to the movies today (High School Confidential) or maybe lie in bed and read. Tough choices
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Friday is my birthday so we are going to see a live broadcast of Prairie Home Companion at Wolf trap then Sunday we get up and head down home to NC to see my doggie. She has been diagnosed with lymphoma so its time to go love on her and say my goodbyes. Spending a few extra days to just get the hell away from DC and rest up.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Looking forward to three days of unpacking!!

We close our old house on Friday. I get to pay off some bills and see what is left. We are one truck load of odds and ends away from being done over there.

Now comes the tedeous task of sorting through all our crap and seeing what we are keeping and what is going. I really want to thin stuff out.

Oh and then the basement rooms are going to get sheetrock. King B is going to start wiring this week. I think I am going to have the girls do alot of the work on their own rooms, it will be good for them to learn. Finshing sheetrock is a good skill.

We may get to participate in memorial day activities next year. Our lives should be calmer by then.

Isn't that what I say every year????
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Just got saddled with my 9 year old nephew for the weekend. There's a reason my husband & I didn't have any children! We'll do ok I'm sure. We live in the sticks so I just have to get used to

"I'm bored!"
    "Go play outside!"
    "There's bears out there!"
    "So? Go play with the bears!"

I don't think I've told him about the mountain lions ...yet. Should I??
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Working the second job all weekend long...Fri-Mon
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    All I know is that it's supposed to be in the 90s in Chicagoland this weekend.
    great. I'll be there for a wedding. I better make nice with bartenders at the reception...gotta keep those cold ones coming fast.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'll be doing the long drive to Alpena, MI on Friday morning. It's supposed to be nice weather, so I will take in some mountain biking and kayaking, plus we'll be having a pre-birthday party for my nephew for his first birthday (he's the only grandchild, so.....).

Alpena and northern Michigan is really nice in late Spring.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Hawaii (for a conference), sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I will be doing the annual Sat morning hike up to the Dog Lake Chutes for some skiing and then a barbaque in the Brighton parking lot. Possibly wetting some flies in the middle section of the Provo R.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We had our long weekend last weekend... but I may go down to Hell-A to take in the Oil/Ducks game on Saturday. Guess we'll see...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon

A former coworker said that BOAT is an acronym - Break Out Another Thousand.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    we are opening camp, a tradition, of a friend of ours - the camp is on a little island in the middle of a lake in the shadow of Katahdin

can't wait, as you might have guessed!

Ever make the climb up via Knife's Edge?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2012 Memorial Day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 May 2012, 6:52 PM