Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New Forums rules: cranks, one-trick ponies

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

New Forums rules: cranks, one-trick ponies

The following rules clarify existing Cyburbia Forums policy.

2.11 One-trick ponies
    The board is not intended to furnish users with a forum for single-mindedly promoting their personal agenda. We reserve the right to ask users to limit postings on a particular topic, or to refrain from posting on such topics altogether.

2.12 Cranks
    Users that consistently exhibiit crank-like or kook-like behavior, posting about conspiracy and tinfoil hat theories, ludicrous beliefs, and so on, may be suspended or banned.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm very disturbed by these new rules in that I feel their application might be very unfairly focused. In particular, the definition of "single-mindedly promoting their personal agenda" is likely to be a shape-shifter, now, isn't it? And as for cranks, at what point does the mere annoying become a crank? This is very important to make clear.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Crank: see the Wikipedia link referenced. Also see this thread for an example. There were others that have been "disappeared" - PM me if you want an example or two.

Promotion of an agenda: some other boards have a similar rule. Here's a few examples:

Straight Dope Message Board
    The board is not intended to furnish you with a forum for promoting your personal agenda. We reserve the right to ask you to limit postings on a particular topic, or to refrain from posting on such topics altogether.

Science Forums
    Conspiracy to promote an agenda not found to be in the best interest of ScienceForums.net is prohibited.

Catholic Answers
    Do not view the discussion area as a vehicle for single-mindedly promoting an agenda.

That doesn't mean "don't express an opinion we don't like." It means "don't join the board just to express an opinion over and over and over and over again, with an obsessive, missonary-like zeal, while discussing little else."

Think of our recently-banned friend Clemson Grad, or the anti-circumcision zealots that have been banned from many other boards.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like this new rule! Thank you!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I guess my concern is that I've seen some threads as of late that have a lot of regulars here whining and being fairly rude to the poster, and I'd hope that this sort of rule wouldn't be applied as a tool to stamp out those threads entirely.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    I guess my concern is that I've seen some threads as of late that have a lot of regulars here whining and being fairly rude to the poster, and I'd hope that this sort of rule wouldn't be applied as a tool to stamp out those threads entirely.
    No, not the threads you're probably thinking of.

Registered
    May 2003
    Sometimes I wonder if abrowne isn't a sock puppet.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    A good example of single-minded promoting an agenda can be found on another forum I post to, Edumnds.com (the car site). The Elantra board is frequented by a user called germancarfan who claims to own an Elantra, but uses every opportunity to extoll the virtues of Volkswagens. He posts all kinds of facts, figures, specs, and pics of Volkswagens in boards for other vehicles such as my beloved Elantra.

Registered
    May 2004
    I'm assuming that you will be warning people before suspension or banning?

Some people's ideas of tin-foil hat conspiracy may be things that are in fact true.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner

Some people's ideas of tin-foil hat conspiracy may be things that are in fact true.
    Wow.... I was just thinking that.

HOW ARE YOU GETTING INSIDE MY HEAD, MAN?!?!?!!!!11!!!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner

Warning: of course.

As far as the tin-foil hat conspiracies: if a poster is otherwise normal, posting regularly about planning-related topics and the usual FAC banter, but really believes that there's a secret Masonic base in caverns underneath Denver International Airport, we probably wouldn't hae a problem with it. If that's all they post about, on the other hand, then we might have a problem.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan

As far as the tin-foil hat conspiracies: if a poster is otherwise normal, posting regularly about planning-related topics and the usual FAC banter, but really believes that there's a secret Masonic base in caverns underneath Denver International Airport, we probably wouldn't hae a problem with it. If that's all they post about, on the other hand, then we might have a problem.
    Wow. Dan. Pretty bizarre link. Not to be too gullible, but is there anything to any of this stuff beyond tin foil hat territory?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahh.....

I happen to have been part of a discussion with a top level county official about an area near DIA in the early 1990's regarding a NIH/CDC/USAMRMC laboratory (like the one in Ft. Detrick Maryland) planned for an underground facility. I wonder if it got built....hmmm......

Otherwise, I like the new rules......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2000
    2.12 Cranks
    Users that consistently exhibiit crank-like or kook-like behavior, posting about conspiracy and tinfoil hat theories, ludicrous beliefs, and so on, may be suspended or banned.
    Welp, there go my philosophical ramblings and "simplistic" discussions.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Yeah, good thing that policy wasn't around during the neverending segway thread days!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I'm not talking about PWI, although I really discourage that.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm not talking about PWI, although I really discourage that.
    But PWI is when I perform my best work. Just watch tonight.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    But PWI is when I perform my best work. Just watch tonight.
    Watching a train wreck?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just noticed there are over 3,000 members in the Forum. I wonder what promoted that activity?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The NEVERENDING retail development in the San Luis Obispo/Central Coast area thread will be the ONLY thread where the discussion of retail development in San Luis Obispo and the California Central Coast area will be allowed. Posts in other threads where retail development in the SLO/CC area (this includes, but is not limited to Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Cambria, Paso Robles, and San Simeon) are mentioned will be moved to the Neverending SLO/CC thread.

The thread is not intended to stifle discussion in other threads and forums regarding general planning and development issues in the SLO/CC area by professional planners working in the area.

The existence of this thread does not imply a waiver to Forums rule 2.11, which reads:
    2.11 Single issue posters / one-trick ponies
    The Forums are not intended to furnish people with a venue for single-mindedly promoting their personal agenda. Staff may ask users to limit or refrain from posting on a certain topic.
    Cyburbia staff reserves the right to move the thread to another forum, or close it at any time.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Ridin' ponies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 06 Jun 2012, 3:22 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 31 Oct 2008, 12:35 PM
  3. Cyburbia Forums rules and guidelines
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Jul 2007, 4:33 PM