Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sidewalk inventory / survey tools

Registered
    Feb 2000

Sidewalk inventory / survey tools

Does anyone have or know of any good sidewalk inventory/survey tools that may be out there? Something that is already developed to help organize field observations? We will be doing a sidewalk survey in the near future for our arterial and collector streets.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    New high resolution digital aerial photos and an intern with a GPS.

Thats what we did. You can get around 90% with just the photos, but we hired an intern, bought him a bike and handed him a GPS unit to map out the areas we needed to install or replace. Worked great. Even did it for residential neighborhoods. You'd never believe what a college kid with a bike, an ipod, making $10/hr can do.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planner22
    New high resolution digital aerial photos and an intern with a GPS.

Thats what we did. You can get around 90% with just the photos, but we hired an intern, bought him a bike and handed him a GPS unit to map out the areas we needed to install or replace. Worked great. Even did it for residential neighborhoods. You'd never believe what a college kid with a bike, an ipod, making $10/hr can do.
    Haha, that's exactly what I'm doing (interning). Except, I'm using a Ford Crown Vic, my own two legs, and a zoning map and a red pen. I'm only doing bike trails though. Nevertheless, they are quite numerous and always changing in my neck of the woods.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Are you thinking of colecting data from points? ArcPad might help

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Are you thinking of colecting data from points? ArcPad might help
    Folks, keep in mind that I'm in Menonite country (or Amish if you prefer). I don't believe that you can accurately assess the condition of the sidewalk from ariel photos. I'm looking to collect data on width and condition - not just the presence of sidewalks.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Autocad with colored poly-lines denoting condition of curbs in each area Red- bad - need replaced, orange - minor repairs, yellow - OK, green - good.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Site selection - inventory
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Feb 2007, 5:54 PM
  2. Sidewalk inventory/survey
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Apr 2005, 9:16 PM
  3. Signs / billboards Sign inventory