Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Historic district Regulations

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Historic district Regulations

Looking for some assistance from the "throbbing brain."

I'm working with a Historic Properties Preservation Taskforce, and they're interested in looking at other communities Historic District regs. Anyone willing to share?

Thanks in advance!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2006
    I can't tell you much -- we have a Historic District and a volunteer Commission that blesses the project before the project can get a building permit -- and the code office enforces the decisions in the HDC application as well as all other codes.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Are you looking for Desgn Guidelines with attention the architecture/structures or are you looking for use regulations? We have design guidelines for each district and I have zoning classifications for HCD - Historic Commercial District and CBD - Central Business District (its written specifically for one of the historic districts).

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Are you looking for Desgn Guidelines with attention the architecture/structures or are you looking for use regulations? We have design guidelines for each district and I have zoning classifications for HCD - Historic Commercial District and CBD - Central Business District (its written specifically for one of the historic districts).
    All of the above. Just resource gathering right now for the Taskforce, and they want as many different examples as I can fine.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    All of the above. Just resource gathering right now for the Taskforce, and they want as many different examples as I can fine.
    Our zoning ord is online at stcharlescity.com (sorry, after all this time I still do not know how to make a link ) you will find the zoning classifications there and if you are interested in seeing our design guidelines I would be happy to send you copies (they are not online right now), not sure if they will help, they are basic and vague, our Board and Staff are the ones that really keep the districts looking and functioning well. But the guidelines are helpful when trying to explain to someone that they can't use vinyl windows or siding on thier homes.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 24 May 2006 at 4:57 PM.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Our zoming ord is online you will find the zoning classifications there and if you are interested in seeing our design guidelines I would be happy to send you copies (they are not online right now), not sure if they will help, they are basic and vague, our Board and Staff are the ones that really keep the districts looking and functioning well. But the guidelines are helpful when trying to explain to someone that they can't use vinyl windows or siding on thier homes.
    I'll PM you with my e-mail address. Thanks!

Registered
    May 1997
    Section 4.22 of the Williston ZO is on-line at the town's web site. These "guidelines" are typical of what I have seen in historic districts in various communities, but as always would be better if they were more specific.

Registered
    Mar 2006

guidelines

We have an old and historic district as well as a corridor district for architectural review. If you shoot me your address I can send you hard copies of each set of guidelines if you'd like. Also, some information is on the website but not the actual guidelines - leesburgva.gov

go the the Services link, Planning and Zoning and you will see the place for the Board of Architectural Review.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Mar 2011, 1:46 PM
  2. Historic district enforcement
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Apr 2007, 1:36 PM
  3. Historic district stormwater management
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Aug 2005, 4:53 PM