Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Environmental planning certification?

Registered
    Jan 2005

Environmental planning certification?

A consultant I've been dealing with uses C.E.P. as his title- Certified Environmental Planner. Has anyone heard of this? How does one go about getting this certification?

Registered
    May 1997
    Actually CEP stands for Certified Environmental Professional, not planner. I had this cert at one time, but couldn't afford to maintain both that and AICP. In my experience, at least, it tends to be used primarily by people who work in waste management.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    In my experience, at least, it tends to be used primarily by people who work in waste management.
    Environmental Planning is one of five categories individuals can be certified in.

For more information, see The Academy of Board Certified Environmental Professionals website.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    wow - this is fishy:

The Environmental Planning category is for individuals who specialize in the arrangements for future facility construction, operation, and/or management in accordance with anticipated requirements of environmental statutes, regulations, and permits (or permit renewals).

Individuals who have earned the CEP designation in this category include persons who work at the following firms:

Bechtel Corporation
    Dames & Moore
    Foster Wheeler Environmental Corp.
    General Electric
    HDR Engineering
    Miller Legg Associates
    Parsons Engineering
    Ryder Truck Rental
    Source Environmental
    URS Greiner
    US Army Corps of Engineers
    US Environmental Protection Agency
    Walt Disney

Registered
    May 1997
    When I went through the certification process in the mid-90's it was all consultants, and as I said above, almost all folks who work in various types of waste management. The Rocky Mountain chapter meetings - which I never got to - all featured speakers on the Superfund, CERCLA, etc.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Never heard of C.E.P. but Lee's comments are consistent with my observation: while job hunting, I looked for a while at firms with "environmental" somehow in their title, mission statement, whatever. They are all doing remediation and so forth. Some of them also do CEQA reports et al, but that seems to be the most planning-related activity they are engaged in. Most of their services would fall under "waste management".

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ah.....

I just got back from a seminar that included a discussion on environemental updates:

1. The current ASTM E1527-00 standards will be replaced with new AAI (All Appropriate Inquiries) regulations on November 1, 2006

2. CFR 312.10 (b) describes the new definition of an environmental professional. The old ASTM E1527-00 allowed almost anyone to do the study

As of this November, people better pay attention to "who" is doing their Phase I's and Phase II or III's.....It'll be interesting to see if all the environmental consultants have upgraded their qualifications to meet the new standards for environmental professionals.

To qualify it looks like you have to:
    1. Be a PE or Prof. Geologist (they still have this in some states???)
    2. Hold a current registration? from a state, tribe or gov. w/ 3 years
    3. B.S. or higher in Science or Engineering
    4. Ten Years Full Time Experience
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    I just got back from a seminar that included a discussion on environemental updates:

1. The current ASTM E1527-00 standards will be replaced with new AAI (All Appropriate Inquiries) regulations on November 1, 2006

2. CFR 312.10 (b) describes the new definition of an environmental professional. The old ASTM E1527-00 allowed almost anyone to do the study

As of this November, people better pay attention to "who" is doing their Phase I's and Phase II or III's.....It'll be interesting to see if all the environmental consultants have upgraded their qualifications to meet the new standards for environmental professionals.

To qualify it looks like you have to:
    1. Be a PE or Prof. Geologist (they still have this in some states???)
    2. Hold a current registration? from a state, tribe or gov. w/ 3 years
    3. B.S. or higher in Science or Engineering
    4. Ten Years Full Time Experience
    dude, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well.....

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    dude, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about
    I just thought I'd share a little bit of info....no biggie.....New rules for those firms conducting CERCLA environmental Phase I reports, that's all.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 9:46 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 22 Jul 2010, 5:43 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Sep 2009, 3:10 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Mar 2009, 2:51 AM
  5. Replies: 3