Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: American Idol 2006

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

American Idol 2006

The winner got more votes than any President in the history of the United States. (No it is not because we secretly desire to live in a privatized society...)

Personally, I had only watched 2 shows this season and I am not thrilled with the guy who won, additionally, I don’t understand peoples obsession with this program.

What are your thoughts on American Idol?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I watched it last night as the author I saw the night before mentioned his obsession with it and was somewhat curious.

All I have to say is schmaltz and glurge fest.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    The winner got more votes than any President in the history of the United States. (No it is not because we secretly desire to live in a privatized society...)
    Of course, you can't cast multiple votes for President simply by hitting the redial button on your phone.......
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I didn't watch any of it this year - I'd watched some of the first audition shows in seasons past just for the sheer comedic value of the bad auditions, but I couldn't even generate enough interest in those episodes this year.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    The winner got more votes than any President in the history of the United States.
    (as i posted off-topic in another thread earlier today...) True, but as Mrs. Bubba pointed out to me, US Presidential elections don't involve 12 year old girls voting multiple times.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What is this American Idol that you speak of ?

Am I missing anything of social / cultural significance or it just water cooler fodder ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    False Idols unleash the wrath of my God. REPENT!!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Conspiracy Theory, Anyone?

Didn't John Larroquette have his fame while starring in Night Court? When did he get together with George Clooney? Can you say Love Child?

+

=

Hey Taylor, I see from whom you get them eyebrows....

What the hell is he doing winning Idol?
    That Hollywood SuperClone should have stepped down and let the girl with the nice smile and ample hips win.

This is coming from a guy who's only exposure was 5 minutes of Idol, without sound, while working out the other day.
    Last edited by zman; 25 May 2006 at 11:44 AM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Glad Taylor won, I've been behind him since he auditioned.

2 wasted hours, at least I had some bookwork to do while 'watching' the show.

As for the comment on more votes than any American President I leave you with this quote from an online blog that did a minute by minute commentray, it's pretty funny reading.

"9:57: Ryan boasts that the 63.4 million votes placed Tuesday night were "more than any president in the history of our country." He neglects to point out that presidential voters aren't allowed to vote nonstop for two hours straight (except in Chicago in 1960). "
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    For some reason, I think everyone in Amercian secretly wishes it was them on tv in the spotlight. I personally think the show is overdone.

I only watch the first 3 or 4 shows at the beginning of the season when the horrible singers are on. Watching people make a fool of themselves, now that is entertainment.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Amercian Whodol?

I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    That Hollywood SuperClone should have stepped down and let the girl with the nice smile and ample hips win.
    Agreed! She has arguably the best beee-hind in American Idol history.... :drool:
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    Agreed! She has arguably the best beee-hind in American Idol history.... :drool:
    I hope you are talkig about the really stupid blonde girl.

Could she really be that much of a hick/red neck or is it an act?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by donk

Like I said, I have only seen five minutes of Idol in my life, and I saw the finalist woman the other day on this round of Idol only.

And, hey, don't you have your OWN Idol? (Churning out Alanis Morisette and Geddy Lee "soundalikes?" )
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

If only presidential candidates would sing pop songs once a week for 3 months with has-been music artists who are working the county fair circuit to pay for their drug habits. THEN we'd have people voting in droves......maybe that's a good way to choose a president.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Mehh... I'd rather have my wrists cut with the dull edge of a Clay Aiken CD than watch American Idol.

I don't get the appeal of watching others warble out power ballads on national television and am therefore happily out of synch with a lot of the American public. Don't take that to mean that I'm a snob, however, because I was more than willing to spend two hours watching the season finale of Lost. But American Idol? I had top pass...

Registered
    Nov 2004

Not talking about the blonde girl. I'm talking about Kat.... the brunette

As for the blonde girl being that stupid... I don't know if it's an act or not. All I know is that when she starts talking it's like nails on a chalk board. I forgot the name of her hometown but it's the most redneck name I think I've ever heard of for a municipality.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    I forgot the name of her hometown but it's the most redneck name I think I've ever heard of for a municipality.

her home town is albemarle, I assume its main industry is a quarry, had an albemarle township where i used to work.

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    And, hey, don't you have your OWN Idol? (Churning out Alanis Morisette and Geddy Lee "soundalikes?" )
    If only they were that good of singers.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    EDIT: Nevermind....donk got ahead of me...............move along.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    May 2003
    I turned on the TV the other night and saw a pretty girl sitting with a French chef and refusing to eat clams. Claiming that it was "weird" and a few other incoherently constructed arguments. Was that her?
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Oh, I like Taylor. He's a childhood friend of a friend of mine.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I had the misfortune of becoming face to face with the Idol programme last night for a few tense moments. I witnessed an angry, swearing black woman with horrible hair highlights yelling alternatively about her dislike for an award that only a junior soccer coach would appreciate, and without a beat yammered on about how she liked it. Sensing danger, I fled immediately.

TV is depressing.

Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    I turned on the TV the other night and saw a pretty girl sitting with a French chef and refusing to eat clams. Claiming that it was "weird" and a few other incoherently constructed arguments. Was that her?
    Don't even get me started. I've lost count of how many people I've met in Ontario who won't even eat fish, or for that matter, anything from the ocean, because its "dirty" or they "just don't like it." More like won't give it a chance. They stick to pizza and fastidiously fried wonders.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I never watched a single moment of a single episode. I pity you people.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I never watched a single moment of a single episode. I pity you people.
    Oh, it gets worse... I had the TV on while I was cooking dinner and this "So You Think You Can Dance" show came on. Now Cowell has some show coming up called "America's Got Talent" or something to that effect.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 57
    Last post: 30 May 2006, 12:28 PM
  2. Who’s your hero / idol?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 19 Jul 2005, 1:43 PM
  3. Replies: 48
    Last post: 05 Jun 2005, 6:43 PM
  4. Canadian Idol! Whoohoo!
    Friday Afternoon Club