Urban planning community

Poll results: What is your platform of choice?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Microsoft (Windows & MS Mobile)

7 35.00%
  • Apple (OS whatever)

8 40.00%
  • Google (Android or Chrome)

2 10.00%
  • RIM (Blackberry and Ö um, nothing else)

0 0%
  • Other

3 15.00%
  • I donít believe this computer thing will catch on.

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple, Google, Microsoft, or other?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Apple, Google, Microsoft, or other?

About 3 months ago, I bought an ipad for mostly work purposes to accommodate a growing trend towards going paperless. After the first few hours of using it, I understand why apple fans love their products. It took my wife about 5 minutes to say “I want one”.

My dad had one of the 1st generation Macintosh computers back when I was in elementary school, but as the trends towards Windows came about, we became a windows family with the release of Windows 95. Then a few years ago, I bought a droid phone and even was selected to try out one of the google chrome laptops. (It was strange to get a free laptop in the mail… but hey… FREE) It was very limited use because it was connected or nothing.

Now that my cell phone is acting up, we have decided that we are going to get iphones and when the laptop goes, we will get another Apple product. I do however find it interesting how obsessed some people can be about apple products. When was the last time you saw a dell or Microsoft sticker on the back window of a car?
    What about you? What is your choice operating system/ hardware? Why did you choose that product and have you ever considered switching to a different platform?
    Last edited by michaelskis; 18 Jul 2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Changed from I- to i to appease the apple fanboy
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    About 3 months ago, I bought an I-pad for mostly work purposes to accommodate a growing trend towards going paperless. After the first few hours of using it, I understand why apple fans love their products. It took my wife about 5 minutes to say “I want one”.

My dad had one of the 1st generation Macintosh computers back when I was in elementary school, but as the trends towards Windows came about, we became a windows family with the release of Windows 95. Then a few years ago, I bought a droid phone and even was selected to try out one of the google chrome laptops. (It was strange to get a free laptop in the mail… but hey… FREE) It was very limited use because it was connected or nothing.

Now that my cell phone is acting up, we have decided that we are going to get I-phones and when the laptop goes, we will get another Apple product. I do however find it interesting how obsessed some people can be about apple products. When was the last time you saw a dell or Microsoft sticker on the back window of a car?
    What about you? What is your choice operating system/ hardware? Why did you choose that product and have you ever considered switching to a different platform?
    Mskis...
    z
    It's called ipad... and iphone

Let me channel my inner fanboy nerd here.

Macbook Core Duo 1.8 ghz 2 gb RAM
    Imac Core Duo 2.2 ghz 4 gb RAM
    iphone 3G jailbroken unlocked 4.3 OS w/ whitedoor 8GB
    iphone 4S 16 GB
    ipod 60 GB 5th Generation
    ipod shuffle 2nd generation 1gb
    ipod touch 1st generation 16 gb
    ipod 10gb 2nd generation

Yup..these are all at the house now.

Ok with that being said, yes I am an apple fan since 2001. My roommate in college convinced me to switch, so i bought an imac (the crappy one made so the video drive would crap out on you but you can fix it by taping 3 pennies and duct table to the side to make sure a connection is made, and yes i did this and yes, my brother still uses it to this day). I was so impressed with mac os X that i ditched my windows 98/XP machine that was giving me headaches as a first computer and never looked back. I loved the interface, ease of use, and the ability to run albeit slower GIS with parallels. I was so impressed i bought stock in apple at $32 a share. I purchased 10 shares with some money i saved working part time. I finally sold those shares last year to the tune of $450 a share and some change to help pay for a house.

I use a windows machine at work, but for whatever reason macs just seem so user intuitive at times. My wife and I got together and i got her into macs. My daughter will get a shinny new ipad for school this year. She knows no other thing. Even my 2 year old can figure out our iphone's. That says a lot. Trust me. Although with Jobs gone, whether apple remains to be a force i will wait to see. I hope so. Yes, I will be in line for a new iphone 5. I deserve it for putting up with my iphone 3g for this long.

Sincerely, Apple fanboy.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    For computers I dig Windows. Macs just feel unintuitive to me, but that might be that I've been using Windows PCs for like 14 years. Although I will say that their phones and tablets are very intuitive. I also like building my own computers from scratch so that's a big plus towards windows. On my laptop I run both Windows XP and Ubuntu (Linux). And while Linux can be a pain there is definitely some satisfaction from doing things yourself. (If you couldn't tell I'm big into DIY )

I still have a "stupid phone". As a grad student working two part time jobs I can't justify the cost of a data plan for my phone. In fact I'm seriously thinking about moving a step down and getting a metro pcs talk and text cell plan line for $25 bucks a month.

As far as Internet Browsing I am all about Google Chrome. I actually can't stand working the internet on anyone else's computer that doesn't run Chrome it just feels icky and slow.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Apple = evil.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Can't see myself moving away from Windows anytime soon. It runs all the software and games I want. Plus I have more ability to customize the hardware unlike with a Mac. I have nothing against Macs but I feel they are a bit too controlled for my tastes.

Now I have no problem with iOS and would actually prefer it on my mobile devices since Android can get a bit messy. I'm interested in trying mobile Windows since I've heard good things about it. Unfortunately hardly any phones use that OS yet. That'll probably change when Windows 8 comes out in the fall.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Apple = evil.
    pc, microsoft=evil
    My gripes against Windows/PC are numerous. I now have a Mac, Ipad, and Iphone and will not go back.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    If this was just a general OS poll, I'm surprised you didn't include Linux, a favorite of virgins those with questionable personal hygiene furries and LARPers geeks everywhere.

Anyhow, operating systems and platfors are like tools, You pick the right one for the job.

Home PC: Mac OS X. More secure, easier to network, and it just works.

Phone: iPhone/IOS. It's not fragmented like or subject to bloatware like mobile implementations of Android, and it's a better user experience.

Tablet: I'd prefer an iPad, but I can't justify the expense for a device that I'm going to use mainly to surf the Web and maintain Cyburbia from a distance. I'm looking at the Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, and perhaps the Blackberry Playbook. The Playbook may have a small use base, but it has a terrific browser, I can get all the basic Internet tools I need (SSH and FTP client), it can run many Android apps through emulation, it's very well constructed, and they're a bargain; refurbished for $130-$140. I'm leaning towards the Samsung, though.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Tablet: I'd prefer an iPad, but I can't justify the expense for a device that I'm going to use mainly to surf the Web and maintain Cyburbia from a distance. I'm looking at the Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, and perhaps the Blackberry Playbook. The Playbook may have a small use base, but it has a terrific browser, I can get all the basic Internet tools I need (SSH and FTP client), it can run many Android apps through emulation, it's very well constructed, and they're a bargain; refurbished for $130-$140. I'm leaning towards the Samsung, though.
    They say there is an I-Pad mini coming out this fall and there is talk that it will be on par with the $199 to $299 price range.

I have used the Log Me In app on my I-pad to have full access to my computer at one of my client communities a while back. It was awesome to have the capability to sit on my porch and issue a permit, it was not awesome to work on a day off... even if it was from home.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Ok, I am seriously not a technophobe, Iíve just always (until this past spring) used non-Apple products because of price and compatibility with my existing electronics. Also my spouse liked to build his own computers for a while. I obtained my first Apple product (iPod) this past spring, which is fine for exercising but was a little bit of a PITA to get my music on it because Iím so used to drag-and-drop. But Iím ok now. I have a Samsung Android phone and love it, although my carrier doesnít offer the iPhone so I didnít have much of a choice (didnít want to switch carriers because we have an awesome grandfathered-in plan since weíve been with them forever). The specs on the Samsung phone exceeded the iPhone version out at the time. So I donít really have much to say about Apple products, I know a lot of people love them. My mom has an iPad and uses it all the time, which is great because she is NOT technologically savvy at all!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Apple.

1 iPod Shuffle (1st gen)
    1 iPod Touch (1st gen, lives in a new home)
    1 iPhone 3G 8MB (retired)
    1 iPhone 3GS 16MB (repurposed as iPod touch for dad)
    2 iPhone 4G 8MB
    1 15" MacBook Pro, ca. 2011
    1 11" Dell Inspiron laptop running Win 7, ca. 2008 (will be replaced with 13" MacBook Pro upon retirement)

So yeah, we're Apple fans. Well made, they last, least problematic, good customer service, and pretty easy to set up and use. They baby loves seeing herself on the iPhone when we turn on the forward facing camera
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Android blows Apple away IMO.

Registered
    May 2005
    I chose "Other" because we're a mixed bag.

My wife and I both have iPod Shuffles.

This March, we switched over to iPhone4S.

But we also have a Dell/Windows laptop that's about 1 1/2 years old. It will probably be a few more years until we purchase a new laptop, so we'll make the decision at that time.

We have no intention to purchase a tablet/iPad right now.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Windows. It's what I use at work and at home.

I use my cell phone to make/receive phone calls and not much else, although when I'm bored, I have explored its limited accessories. A "smart phone" it's NOT. I don't text just because I don't text.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Mixed bag for me.

Windows at work and on the home PC
    iPhone 4's for my wife and I.
    iPad 2, which we bought for the family (but primarily for Autism related apps for Wes).

Honestly, the home PC doesn't get much use anymore...the iPad is our primary computing choice at home now.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've historically been a Windows guy, but Apple has been gaining market share with me. It started with an iPod, then another iPod, and then a pair of iPhones. My father-in-law just ditched his PC for an iMac, and he really likes it for the same reasons Dan references: more secure, easier to network and not as tempermental/prone to problems. I've got a Windows laptop at home that is aging. When it goes, it will likely become an iMac and I'll also purchase an iPad for something portable. I've become increasingly dissatisfied with my Windows products. If I could get off Windows at work, I would do so in a heartbeat. It just seems like with Windows, there is always something being funky.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman GŲring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Android blows Apple away IMO.
    I don't disagree with this but I will say that it takes more effort on the part of the user to get it this way. iOS works great right out the box while Android will likely require some significant fiddling depending on what the manufacturer gives you.

Getting to the point where I want an iPhone just so I know the thing will work like it should and will actually be supported. I have so many quirks with my Android phone that I can't help but feel are OS related. I'll probably need to jailbreak my phone if I want to clear them up since that's the only way I'll be getting any OS updates.I shouldn't need to void my phone's warranty just to get the thing working like it should though.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I'm a Macintosh user.

I've grown up with both PC's and Macs, and interestingly enough, the macs are still functional despite their age. When I went to college, I bought my own macbook pro, and I still use it every day. I also have an iphone 4 and an old ipod touch (that I use for the gym)
    And that concludes staffís presentation...

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I chose "Other" because we're a mixed bag.

My wife and I both have iPod Shuffles.

This March, we switched over to iPhone4S.

But we also have a Dell/Windows laptop that's about 1 1/2 years old. It will probably be a few more years until we purchase a new laptop, so we'll make the decision at that time.

We have no intention to purchase a tablet/iPad right now.
    Nothing has changed except I received a Kindle Fire HD for Xmas.

My wife is also getting a Chromebook for work. I'm excited to see how it works.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2002
    My home computer is Windows. My music comes almost exclusively from an iPod. My phone is a Samsung Android. Maybe I have Multiple Personality Disorder, huh?
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm all Mac in my personal life, but use PCs at work. Much to my frustration.

Like dw914er, I have an old MacBook Pro that is 8 years old and an iMac that is 7 years old (and which my wife uses as a graphic design professional). Both work wonderfully. I also have an old iPod with a cracked screen that just won't die, an iPod nano, an iPad and my wife has an iPhone. Jeez, now that I write that out, we do have a ton of Mac products. Maybe I should buy some stock...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    I'm all Mac in my personal life, but use PCs at work. Much to my frustration.

Like dw914er, I have an old MacBook Pro that is 8 years old and an iMac that is 7 years old (and which my wife uses as a graphic design professional). Both work wonderfully. I also have an old iPod with a cracked screen that just won't die, an iPod nano, an iPad and my wife has an iPhone. Jeez, now that I write that out, we do have a ton of Mac products. Maybe I should buy some stock...
    Now would be the time to buy.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/24/investing/apple-stock/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    The only Windows computer I use is for video games. Everything else is Linux.

Registered
    May 2005
    I always knew they were there, but I just started looking into the Google Chrome apps.

I also read an article this morning about a prediction of a Google Chrome and Android merger. Interesting. I think I like the concept of a seamless merger between my mobile and laptop/desktop/tablet.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think it's fair to give an update as when this thread was created Android was a like the T-1000 from Terminator that had just been blown into a million liquid metal drops. Android is starting to congeal into fewer big blobs as fragmentation is becoming less of an issue. The last two iterations of Android 4.0 and 4.1.x are nothing short of excellent and are clearly on-par with iOS 5 and iOS 6.

My parents have iPhone 5s and an iPad. while they visited I silently compared the operation of both Android (my wife and I) and Apple (my parents). The android/apple gap is closed--or closing very fast. Apple has excellent quality control and predictable user experiences due to their stranglehold on both hardware and software design. Android's "open platform" gives developers and hardware manufactures a "free market" to experiment and offer a variety of phones, software and features to fit a particular users budget or preferences. Our house is completely android: Asus Transformer Prime tablet, Galaxy Nexus, and a Note 2. The Note 2 is an incredible phone/pocket computer. IMO, the best mobile device I've ever used.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I went with Apple instead of Android. I always found the Android OS clunky and hard to navigate. I've played around with friends Galaxy phones and my dad's android tablet and simply didn't like them.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Microsoft Vista
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 07 Feb 2007, 8:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Dec 2002, 11:29 AM