Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Eco-industrial park planning

Registered
    Oct 2005

Eco-industrial park planning

In Boulder, Colorado, we're looking at including an area in our new transit village area plan for an eco-industrial park. The current uses are light industrial, there will be premium transit access including heavy rail, there are a number of eco-industries in town, and we would like to encourage the growth of a regional eco-industrial park. I am investigating options, both for plan writing and implementation from the city's point of view, and could use any good advice out there. I've found a few that exist in the US, and some good pages from indigo development, but I'm still searching for good analogous case studies, especially completed and functional ones that can give advice on what works. We have a non-profit energy resource center already locating there and would like to make it a green industry park in terms of both built form and services. Our implentation plan will be completed by the end of summer for the Transit Village area plan, and the plan will be adopted around the start of the new year, so it's somewhat urgent. Long post,... thanks in advance.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2002
    You might want to look at the Menomonee Valley Industrial Center being developed in Milwaukee...though it is only in the very early stages of being developed.

www.renewthevalley.org

In fact, Wenk Associates of Denver has been involved with the industrial park's design, which was the winning entry in a national design competition for the site.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    We have an Eco-Park in my community. Unfortunately, much of the information we had on the website was lost in the transition to our new website.

The park is governed by private covenants and restrictions, see http://www.sustainabledesigndevel.com/ecoparks.htm and http://www.sustainabledesigndevel.com/ecoguidelines.htm for a brief overview and guidelines that are available for purchase by the land owner/developer. The park initially was created by the Town and Stonyfield Yogurt, and was later sold to Sustainable Design & Development.

The best contact is our former Planning & Economic Development Director, Peter Lowitt, who is now the Land Use Administrator at Devens in MA.

PM me and I can get you his contact info.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 31 May 2006 at 9:51 AM.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Markitect
    You might want to look at the Menomonee Valley Industrial Center being developed in Milwaukee...though it is only in the very early stages of being developed.

www.renewthevalley.org

In fact, Wenk Associates of Denver has been involved with the industrial park's design, which was the winning entry in a national design competition for the site.
    Specifically, look at (or call and ask for) their sustainable design guidelines - here's the website dedicated to that part of the project: http://design.renewthevalley.org/.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    An eco-industrial park in the transit village area? While I am glad to hear that the plan is not trying to force out all of the industry, I wonder what will happen to some of those very viable companies in the area. Boulder certainly has a large cluster of "natural" businesses which could be attracted to a sustainably-designed business district, but this is not the same thing as an eco-industrial park. In the transit village you will get a denser, urban form of development. The ideal location for a real eco-industrial park would be further west along Valmont.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2005

Right Place

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    An eco-industrial park in the transit village area? While I am glad to hear that the plan is not trying to force out all of the industry, I wonder what will happen to some of those very viable companies in the area. Boulder certainly has a large cluster of "natural" businesses which could be attracted to a sustainably-designed business district, but this is not the same thing as an eco-industrial park. In the transit village you will get a denser, urban form of development. The ideal location for a real eco-industrial park would be further west along Valmont.
    This may be true, especially with the already existing hub of Eco-Cycle and Resource near the dump, where space is plentiful and nxious uses are easier to do. The idea of more of small industries or eco-businesses may be more feasible, and there is already an eco-product supplier there and plans for a regional energy resource center. However, the proximity of the train could provide a way of moving quantities of by-products, like compost and biomass, in and out of the area. A renewable energy center that produces solar panels and fuel cells might be right-sized as well, and could provide electricity for the neighborhood with solar on the roofs... That may be a better direction.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Eco-Industrial Solutions Ltd. in the Vancouver, BC region does a lot of consulting on EIN, and their website contains several case studies:

http://www.ecoindustrial.ca/projects.html

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Check out donk's post about green developments in cities. I think that may be a better direction for the area instead of eco-industrial park. Still, don't throw away the businesses you have there. Amgen, Circular, Rudi's and others contribute much to the city and any changes you make are bound to impact them.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Aug 2012, 6:33 PM
  2. New to park planning
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 12 Aug 2011, 11:05 AM
  3. Industrial park zoning
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0