Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)

There have been a few different threads that wander around subject matter related to motorcycles. This thread is intended for posting your observations of motorcycles, if you like or dislike them, what kind would you or do you own, would you wear a helmet.....and just for fun, who would you want in the sidecar with you.

Born To Be Bear.....People look at me, guess my age, check out the beard (and the earing on weekends), and assume that I am a "senior biker". Nice try, Marlon.....but wrong-O.

In high school I was a back seat rider on my friend's Italian bike. He picked me up every morning and I rode the wheels in to senior year. (OMG.....he moved to Fort Wayne after graduation.....he could be BKM's dad. )

But I never owned a bike and have never driven a bike. And that's the truth.

Now.....all the party people in the neighborhood are getting bikes. Even Katie's best friend just bought a bike, and her and her husband are not even riders (yet). Katie is asking (telling) me to get a bike. Not even sure what kind I would look at.

I would wear a helmet. Bet dollars to donuts that Katie would not. In my sidecar......Cameron Diaz.
    _____

What say you?

No Colors Allowed Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I have been on a motorcycle a few times as a kid (12 or so?). Some teenaged neighbor had one. Of course, riding around the block with him was apparently some kind of "proof" that I was a wanton, fallen woman. Probably a good reason to do it anyway when you are that age.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Never had a motorcycle. Actually have never even ridden on one. And not tempted at all.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Can you say DONOR ?

When I was an EMT I saw enough.

The stupidest are the ones wearing shorts, teeshirts, and no helmet. Sorry stupid people.

Scary Headline and article:
    Many motorcycle dead may be in throes of midlife crisis
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've owned two bikes. The first was a Honda Enduro I had in high school. Never fell off. The second was a street bike I used during college. After graduation, it needed some maintenance and I lent it to my ex-BIL hoping to see it returned. Never saw it again.

I've thought about getting another since moving to FL. Maybe a fast crotch rocket? Naw. I'd only hurt myself.

Always wore a helmet.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Back in my single days, I parked my butt on the back of a Harley many a time.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I dispise the Modern American Middle Class Harley Cult. Its that simple. They are mostly mid-life crisis assholes who decide it is their right to be obnoxious pricks. Where I live they make way to much noise at all hours of the night. And I love seeing people who are mild-mannered all week go dress up and play at being dirtbags on the weekend. Oh, yeah...I just love watching accountants and secretary's try keeping up with real life scumbags. They seem to take real pride in their ability to morph into losers. Oh, and the biker tattoos hidden by a full sleve dress shirt are priceless. But that is just my opinion. Your experiences may be different.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    I dispise the Modern American Middle Class Harley Cult. Its that simple. They are mostly mid-life crisis assholes who decide it is their right to be obnoxious pricks. Where I live they make way to much noise at all hours of the night. And I love seeing people who are mild-mannered all week go dress up and play at being dirtbags on the weekend. Oh, yeah...I just love watching accountants and secretary's try keeping up with real life scumbags. They seem to take real pride in their ability to morph into losers. Oh, and the biker tattoos hidden by a full sleve dress shirt are priceless. But that is just my opinion. Your experiences may be different.
    \El Guapo Amen Amen! There is a sleezy tweaker bar in my town where they gather. If you throw in all the gigantic P-Envy-Trucks from people who think that their two acre "rural residential" lot means they need a "Farm Truck" and all the loud, testostwrone poisoned young cou-rouges with the raised trucks and dualies, who dominate my county, I'll join your crusade.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Not only do I like bikes, I sold them one summer! I do agree with many of EG’s comments. However, I would like to get either a high performance crotch rocket or a cruiser. Something fast that I can upgrade or something smooth with some style.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I havent been on one either.

I have a mate of mine whom thought it would be wise to buy a bike- way too powerful for him, and decided to drive it without a licence.

Yes the day he got the bike, he was driving it around the corner of his street, lost control and hit a metal box trailer- which the force of impact moved a good 15 metres or so.

Anyway he broke a heap of bones and was in hospital for 3 months.

So i am scared of bikes!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Dec 2001
    All I want is a moped. 80mpg and easy to maintain.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    All I want is a moped. 80mpg and easy to maintain.
    Dittos....I really want one too (at least to try), but my wife keeps poo-pooing the idea.....half of Italy has a moped....and they drive perfectly normal...
    Last edited by mendelman; 31 May 2006 at 2:10 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 1998
    No tattoos or mid life crisis, but I want to get another bike. I rode a friend's Harley over the weekend a couple of times (no helmet). I have had five different ones in my life and want a big cruiser in the next couple of years. I won't be making it loud, that gives me a headache.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

RIGHT ON EG! We get the weekend wanabe losers up here in the north. I can hear them coming for a mile. They want everyone to see how "cool" they think they are.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Crouch rocket riders give me the super secret two fingers down recognition sign when they see me on my Segway (Nova). I'm part of the two-wheeled club. I feel so special.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Crouch rocket riders give me the super secret two fingers down recognition sign when they see me on my Segway (Nova). I'm part of the two-wheeled club. I feel so special.
    I get that on my bicycle all the time, to which I say quiet that hyped muffler and keep your hands on the bars. I'll admit when I'm on my bicyle I am simply above all motorist'.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Don't own one, never ridden one. I would wear a helmet, though - I can't imagine not wearing one, and I've never heard a good arguement against wearing one. My father-in-law owns a BMW motorcycle (I have no idea of the model), and he's an avid rider. He's also fanatical about safety. Turns out that BMW motorcycle enthusiasts do have their own little subculture, but it's nothing like Harley riders.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I have been wanting a BMW 650 GS for quite some time.

I do not know how to ride a motorcycle,

I do not know if I will even like it,

but if I did, I would wear helmet, protective gear, and never go above 60 mph.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by natski
    I havent been on one either.

I have a mate of mine whom thought it would be wise to buy a bike- way too powerful for him, and decided to drive it without a licence.

Yes the day he got the bike, he was driving it around the corner of his street, lost control and hit a metal box trailer- which the force of impact moved a good 15 metres or so.

Anyway he broke a heap of bones and was in hospital for 3 months.

So i am scared of bikes!

I should mention that my brother-in-laws brother went cruising around their Kentucky farm without a helmet on a trail bike. Let's just say he will never be a "normal" adult again-major brain damage, multiple surgeries, basically like a sub-prime 4 year old.

The accident occurred shortly after he had wrecked an earlier, less powerful trail bike.

I have been into motorcycling for about 2 years. I have a 2003 Honda Shadow, which suits me fine but I really want a BMW R1150R or R1200RT both of which are sport-touring bikes. Never really got into the Harley thing even though I live in Milwaukee and almost everyone I ride with has a Harley. I guess I am put off by the whole Harley Culture, though if someone gave me a V-rod I could be persuaded to change my tune.

I think people who ride without helmets are idiots. I won't even ride down the street without one.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    EG and I have discussed this before

I sold my Harley Sportster 4 years ago. I don't really miss it most of the time. While I agree with alot of EG's statements, there is a flip side. Auto drivers are assholes too. And if you bike isnt loud, you are asking to be smacked by a lane changing jerk that doesnt check his blind spots. So I do have *some* sympathy...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Of course Chet is no way one of the evil ones about which I speak. There are many nice people who ride a Harley. However, and I say this with many personal experiences, most of them are either mid-life crisis trend following mindless losers pretending to be dirtbags without balls, or they are the real-deal dirtbags. The other 40% are likely simply motorcycle riders who enjoy that particular brand. But watch a Harley crowd and a similar "jap" bike crowd and the Harley crowd always seems to have to be throwing the badass vibe around. Even the punk accountant Harley wannabees. Ask one some time why he is so angry at a society that allows him to purchase a motorcycle that cost more than a midsized car. He won't have a good answer.

Quote Originally posted by Chet
    EG and I have discussed this before

I sold my Harley Sportster 4 years ago. I don't really miss it most of the time. While I agree with alot of EG's statements, there is a flip side. Auto drivers are assholes too. And if you bike isnt loud, you are asking to be smacked by a lane changing jerk that doesnt check his blind spots. So I do have *some* sympathy...

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I've never had one or been on one thanks to my dad. When I was growing up, he would come home and tell graphic stories of the motorcycle wrecks he covered. Some of the stories were complete with pictures . After awhile, I told him that I had gotten the point and wasn't interested in bikes.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    My other half has a bike, Honda VFR, one step below the rolling couch Gold Wing. We both ride it (thanks for the T Shirt Chet it drives him nuts) but we even in the heat of the summer are covered head to toe in kevlar, thick jeans, gloves, boots, etc etc. I will be the first one to say its HOT back there on those pipes (not like that you perv).

We are both getting older and want to take trips on the bike but we are both tall folks so his VFR is just not cutting it any more. He may hate "rolling couches" but I think a Gold Wing is in the cards.

Now to get him to agree to a pull behind for the hell hounds...

My father is a Hog owner, and looks like something out of hells angels but hes a big teddy bear and thumps the younger punk riders on the head for dumb stuff. Made the old man the road master *eye roll* I cant stand the loud sounds of those bikes but it makes my dad happy.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    I've been riding for a few years. I just got rid of my Suzuki Bandit 1200s (a 'standard' MC) and picked up a KLR650. It's a dual-sport (think jeep of the MC world) that can do about anything but great at nothing. It will, however, be perfect for commuting to school & parking on campus, as well as driving up & down my father's steep gravel road.

I love MC's, but am fully aware that all those cars (aka 'cages') are trying to kill you all of the time. If you take that into account, you should be ok. Riding is *much* better away from the cities. I put 7000 miles on the bandit over the course of 3 weeks last summer. Portland (OR) to Glacier to Banff to Minnesota to SW Iowa to the black hills to Yellowstone to Grant Tetons and back to Portland.

There's also a term that 'real' riders use, ATGATT. All The Gear All The Time. Full face helmet, armored jacket & pants, armored gloves, and MC-specific boots. If you take that seriously, your chances of minimizing damage when you crash is *much* better.

Oh yeah - deer. They're out to get you, too. Damn vermin. Hitting one at 65 mph can ruin your ride.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Jan 2007, 11:55 AM
  2. Motorcycle Sales B-1 & B-2
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Sep 2006, 6:34 PM
  3. Replies: 39
    Last post: 25 Aug 2006, 3:31 PM
  4. Motorcycle through history (56K no)