Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    I get that on my bicycle all the time, to which I say quiet that hyped muffler and keep your hands on the bars. I'll admit when I'm on my bicyle I am simply above all motorist'.
    Hear hear!

Crotch rockets are freakishly noisy and very pollutant (no cats, no mufflers, two cycle engines, wanting to reproduce the "Harley Sound"). Moped owners think they have a right to park on the sidewalk (blocking it) and lock to bike racks (blocking them). BTW: That is NOT TRUE in the City of Chiago. No motorized transport is allowed to park on the sidewalk.

Also, unlike bicycles, their owners excert no effort riding them, but unlike cars, they're not enclosed, so they get very cold in the winter, meaning all the mopeders box them up for the winter and drive everywhere.

Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    I dispise the Modern American Middle Class Harley Cult. Its that simple. They are mostly mid-life crisis assholes who decide it is their right to be obnoxious pricks. Where I live they make way to much noise at all hours of the night. And I love seeing people who are mild-mannered all week go dress up and play at being dirtbags on the weekend. Oh, yeah...I just love watching accountants and secretary's try keeping up with real life scumbags. They seem to take real pride in their ability to morph into losers. Oh, and the biker tattoos hidden by a full sleve dress shirt are priceless. But that is just my opinion. Your experiences may be different.
    Wow. Hear hear again. I'm in complete agreement with you.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    My first...

My last...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Being from Milwaukee, it is impossible to not be affected by the magnetic pull of the Harley phenomenon. While I believe Harley Davidson is one of the most important companies in Milwaukee, I am a bit put off by the whole culture. There is this tough-guy attitude that many of the bikers have and a lot of it is BS. I really wonder how many Harley riders would actually prefer to wear a helmet but are scared of what it would do to their macho image. If you go on a large ride you will find that 75 percent or more of non-Harley riders are wearing helmets and only about 15-25 percent of Harley riders are wearing them. I find that very interesting. The Harley folks will tell you that it’s about personal freedom or that they can’t see as well, or that skilled riders don’t need helmets and I think those answers are complete crap. It’s about the macho image and not wanting to look like you are scared of an accident. I also think that contrary to the claims of individuality amongst the Harley crowd, a majority of them look and act the same and the whole culture is filled with walking clichés. For me its about riding motorcycles and having fun. I don't need a closet full of overpriced clothes with the Harley logo nor does my bike need thousands of dollars worth of accessories for me to have fun motorcycling. For many Harley people it’s all about the image and Harley Davidson and is laughing all the way to the bank.

Side note: Mastiff, did you restore that yourself or buy it like that? Looks sweet!
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    Being from Milwaukee, it is impossible to not be affected by the magnetic pull of the Harley phenomenon. While I believe Harley Davidson is one of the most important companies in Milwaukee, I am a bit put off by the whole culture
    Speaking of which, the Harley-Davidson Museum is [finally] having it's groundbreaking ceremony today.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have ridden on bikes a few times, I love it. My dad had a little Honda when I was a little girl and he used to take me down to the park and let me "drive" (control the gas and steer it), I loved it. I have never learned to operate one myself but would love to.

Mastiff - I was in a bike shop a few months ago and saw a bike similar to you "first" bike, its the one I want!!! I love it.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    Side note: Mastiff, did you restore that yourself or buy it like that? Looks sweet!
    I should have said these were like my bikes... But yes, I did restore the '63 Panhead myself, and it looked as nice. I did everything but the paint. Its demise still makes me cry. I was in process with the Ariel (pictured is a '58 and mine was '59) when I was divorced... so I sold it. I didn't want the ***** to hold it over my head.

Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Mastiff - I was in a bike shop a few months ago and saw a bike similar to you "first" bike, its the one I want!!! I love it.
    That's a old Panhead. They are becoming very hard to find... especially ones that aren't restored, but can be. I'll never forget driving that home with it backfiring all the way to my shop. I bought it from an old guy at a motorcycle junkyard for a couple c-notes. Oh, what it would be worth today!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    On the practical side, I wish more places had ordinances that encouraged them. The main one is parking - many places require that MC's park only 1 to a space, park parallel to the curb, charge the same fees as cars, etc. And filtering - if only more places were like CA in that regard. Traffic jam? What traffic jam?

From a planning perspective, it seems like they (and scooters) should be encouraged. On average they get much better gas mileage and take up much less space for parking.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Zoom Bump

Zoom, zoom....kicking the starter on an old thread.....

Last week when my family was in from the Left Coast, we went to Carmel's in west Toledo.....a popular Mexican restaurant/tavern. It was Wednesday night, sum-sum-summertime in the lower Great Lakes.....and it was "bike night".

There must have been over 100 motorcycles at Carmel's. I never saw so many bikes in my life.....except in pics and vids of places and events such as Sturgis. I would bet dollars to donuts that similar "bike nights" are held all over the USA when the weather permits. I know that Metro Toledo has numerous "bike night" events, scattered at bars and restaurants all over the zooming place.

"Bike nights" in your area?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Lots of bike nights in the Dallas area at various restaurants, especially in the yupscale neighborhoods. Also a lot of toy rides with Santa around Christmas and biker rides to honor fallen vets. The CMA, Christian Motorcyclist Association, as opposed to Country Music Awards is also very big in the South. One of the more popular annual rides in Dallas is the Stevie Ray Vaughan Remembrance Ride & Concert which will be held 10/4/09. Edgar Winter is headlining the concert. If you're interested, see http://myspace.com/srvrideandconcert and/or http://www.srvrideandconcert.org.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I just came back from Sturgis... nuff said.

Central Texas is pretty much covered with them, likely a product of motorcycle-friendly weather nine months of the year and enjoyable rides in the area.

I ride a 2007 Buell Ulysses, which is considered an adventure-sport bike. Basically, it is a sport bike on stilts, with a 1200cc Harley engine shoved in it. It doesn't have all of the off-road capabilities of a true dual sport, but has excellent road manners while still giving some off-road opportunity. It's a great commute motorcycle and is decent on middle-long distance rides without getting numb-ass. I'm not a full ATGATT rider, but I always wear full-face helmet, armored jacket, heavy jeans and gloves.

I'd like to upgrade to a sport-touring motorcycle at some point, such as a Triumph Sprint ST or, more likely, a Yamaha FJR. I like comfort, but I still want to have fun in the twisties. I don't have the personality for a full Harley cruiser or bagger.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I jumped on a scooter during my holiday, does that count?

The bf only owns a motorcycle. No car. He loves it, totally obsessed with the thing. My brother (who is a doctor) loves to endlessly tell him about all the patients that arrive in the hospital from motorcycle injuries
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well.....

Someday I will have a motorcycle with a side car.....and either Seana, Brocktoon or Zman will have the first ride in that side car Mandatory beanie helmet wearing time too
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Can you say DONOR ?

When I was an EMT I saw enough.

The stupidest are the ones wearing shorts, teeshirts, and no helmet. Sorry stupid people.

Scary Headline and article:
    Many motorcycle dead may be in throes of midlife crisis
    Thats assuming there is anything left to donate.

I grew up in Milwaukee. Harley Davidson central. My father was an executive there for 30 years. When I was growing up we had 1 car and 5 hogs in the garage. I worked assembly there in college in the late 80's. My BIL has been there on the shopm floor for 20 years and is about #280 on the seniority list, so despite the economy his job is safe.

I had a small 90cc AMF Harley as a teen, and a Sportster in the late 90's. Never really rode it much. I sold it about 5 years later and it had less than 2000 miles on it.

No desire to get another one.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Jan 2007, 11:55 AM
  2. Motorcycle Sales B-1 & B-2
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Sep 2006, 6:34 PM
  3. Replies: 39
    Last post: 25 Aug 2006, 3:31 PM