Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New report on wind farms

Registered
    Mar 2005

New report on wind farms

I know we've discussed zoning of wind farms before in other threads. Now, a new study has been released -- New Report Finds No Evidence of Impacts on Property Values From Wind Farms

FENNER, NEW YORK (MAY 24, 2006): The FREE Center, a Fenner (NY) based organization dedicated to renewable energy education and sustainable practices, today released a study examining the impacts on local property values of the Fenner wind farm. Despite persistent claims that all wind farms adversely affect property values, a report by Ben Hoen of the Bard Center for Environmental Policy, finds that property values were unaffected by the installation, in 2001, of a 20 turbine wind farm in the Fenner Township of Madison County, NY.
    The report, Impacts of Windmill Visibility on Property Values in Madison County, New York, is being released by the Fenner Renewable Energy Education Foundation (FREE), and will be made available via a website hosted by the Alliance for Clean Energy New York (ACE NY). The report’s author, Ben Hoen, a graduate student from the Bard Center for Environmental Policy, says, “The likelihood that property values were affected in Madison County is negligible, thereby reducing similar concerns for other communities hosting wind farms.”

Check out the one page overview at www.aceny.org.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

     
    Registered
    May 2006
    I would say it's just a matter of who's buying the land

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner...
    Now, a new study has been released -- New Report Finds No Evidence of Impacts on Property Values From Wind Farms
    Tell that to Ted Kennedy

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by burnham follower
    I would say it's just a matter of who's buying the land
    Yes, but couldn't that be said about any property (or any item for sale, for that matter)? It could be worth a ga-jillion dollars -- if only someone's willing to pay that price.

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    Tell that to Ted Kennedy
    What's with Ted Kennedy? He's against wind? (who knew?)
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

I don't know if this study would really apply in the Ted Kennedy Marthas Vineyard case...(even though it mentions it). This is a rural county study, and it's going to have a different impact on an area thats more tourist driven and more suburban by character (yes Madison County has some suburbs from syracuse, but it's not the same as costal areas).

The main complaint for property value lowering (in that case as well as one we're dealing with on Long Island right now) has to do with obstruction of the ocean view from the offshore windmills.

Either way I think the complaint is fairly weak... especially since the windmills will only look like small white sticks from the actual shore line.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jan 2013, 6:18 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 11:03 AM
  3. Wind Farms.....
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Jul 2004, 5:01 PM
  4. Wind Turbines
    Land Use and Zoning