Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cleveland-Akron area one metro?

Registered
    Mar 2005

Cleveland-Akron area one metro?

The two largest metro areas of North East Ohio are Cleveland Akron. The census counts them as a Combined metro area, but are still seperate metro areas. My question is Do you think its possible Akron will be obsorbed into the Cleveland Metro area, and what needs to happen for a CSA to become a single metro area?

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by cle216
    The two largest metro areas of North East Ohio are Cleveland Akron. The census counts them as a Combined metro area, but are still seperate metro areas. My question is Do you think its possible Akron will be obsorbed into the Cleveland Metro area, and what needs to happen for a CSA to become a single metro area?

For someone who visits Akron quite often, I think that Akron will be absorbed bythe Cleveland metro area. A short trip up I-77 to Cleveland and looking at all of the developments in between would suggest that the absorption will come sooner than later.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I've never been to this area, so I really don't know.

But I bet part of the debate rests in whether or not one feels that Cuyahoga Valley National Park unites the two cities or separates them.

Regardless, I think a lot of census data is based upon commuting patterns and whatnot. So if enough people from Akron (as well as its suburbs) commute to Cleveland/Cuyahoga County for work, then I guess so.

In my own neck of the woods, it will be interesting to see if (or when) Rockford becomes absorbed into the Chicago metropolitan area. There is still a decent amount of rural land separating the two, so I imagine it will take some time. I can't really picture people from Rockford commuting to downtown Chicago, however I could picture them commuting to the northwest suburbs (Schaumburg, Elgin, etc.)
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    In my own neck of the woods, it will be interesting to see if (or when) Rockford becomes absorbed into the Chicago metropolitan area. There is still a decent amount of rural land separating the two, so I imagine it will take some time. I can't really picture people from Rockford commuting to downtown Chicago, however I could picture them commuting to the northwest suburbs (Schaumburg, Elgin, etc.)
    Rockford is much further out than the whole Akron Medina area. Its funny you mentioned the Valley as that was the first thing I thought of when I read the piece. We have a similar pattern here in western Oakland/eastern Livingston Counties. These are separated by a relaively large contigious park system consisting of state land, Metroparks, and State Parks that is collectively known as Kensington/Island Lake. It has much the same effect in that development has skipped over this area to form the Brighton-Howell-South Lyon Urbanized Area. Strangely, the Detroit Urban Area is now found in seven counties, and enters Livingston county using the M-59 Corridor, which is much further out and away from the line that connect the Brighton Area with Detroit proper. These two urban areas nearly meet along US-23.

I would think that if it wasn't for the park they would be the same metro already. The park may keep these operating as separate urbanized areas as they do here and that won't change. I'm not sure how the MPO system works there, but in Southeast Michigan they all work as one MPO.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2006

Cleveland and Akron

As long as Cleveland continues to fail at attracting new and international business and as long as Akron continues to succeed at the very same task, it will not happen. Despite the poximity, they are two very different cities.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I think attracting new businesses is important, but what we have at Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals and all of the new bio-tech start-ups along Euclid will be very crucial in the next few years creating thousands of new jobs. The Clinic is ever expanding and ever job creating and UH is planning on building more hospitals throughout the area. Those Bio-techs will keep growing and creating jobs. So It is important we bring in new jobs, but remember we are sitting on a gold mine thats just starting to be discovered in University Circle.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by cle216
    I think attracting new businesses is important, but what we have at Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals and all of the new bio-tech start-ups along Euclid will be very crucial in the next few years creating thousands of new jobs. The Clinic is ever expanding and ever job creating and UH is planning on building more hospitals throughout the area. Those Bio-techs will keep growing and creating jobs. So It is important we bring in new jobs, but remember we are sitting on a gold mine thats just starting to be discovered in University Circle.
    As I have already posted in another context, the job growth expected over the next couple of decades in medicine and biotech is the best economic news that I have heard coming out of Cleveland in many years, in part because it builds on an unfortunate strength of northeast Ohio (the large number of old and ill)...The "visionaries" who, back in the early '70s, built the Coliseum out in Richland (mainly for the Cavaliers), which is sort of midway between Cleveland and Akron, did so in the expectation that it was in the middle of future growth of northeast Ohio, as Cleveland, Akron, and other urban centers emptied out their populations. Despite steady suburban growth in the decades since then, the growth never materialized at the expected level. Turns out that more Clevelanders simply fled to the sunbelt instead of the 'burbs. Still, given current decentralizing growth patterns, and despite overall population loss in northeast Ohio, it seems that the area between Akron and Cleveland will continue to fill out. It's just taken longer than anyone expected back 35 years ago.

     
    Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    I don't think Rockford will become much more a part of the Chicago Metro than it already is. It's big enough to have it's own economy and as more and more companies are putting there headquaters and offices outside of Chicago's high taxes, Rockford will only get bigger. The biggest problem I would say is getting back the downtown you said it was lacking in another post

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Nov 2009, 3:08 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 03 Mar 2006, 11:17 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 30 Mar 2005, 2:04 PM
  4. DC Metro Area get together
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 21 Nov 2003, 3:12 PM