Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: St. Cloud, MN: Urban Sprawl with no Urban

     
    Registered
    May 2006

St. Cloud, MN: Urban Sprawl with no Urban

Has anyone ever had the misfortune of driving through St. Cloud, MN? Right off I-94? The city is suburban Urban Sprawl with no Urban whatsoever except maybe the Lexus Nexus building and on or two others that wouldn't be out of place in any suburban office park. The "Main Drag" Division Street (MN or Stearn County 75) is a street where it is almost impossible to make left turns or U turns except every 2 blocks or so, if that. Along this "Main Drag" are dozens of stores and The Crossroads mall which includes a Target, all set far far back from the road and almost impossible to walk to. The City enjoys the head of the Mississippi River and the Sauk River, which at that point is larger than the Miss, but as far as I can tell has little or no public land around them. Saint Cloud State Univeristy is in town and adds more sprawling complexes with giant parking lots and more wasted space as if it were U of Illinois or Iowa @ Aimes, out in the middle of cornfield. The city and it's "suburbs" Waite Park, Rice, Sauk Rapids and Sartell spread endlessly into the country side with random little stores popping up along the roads that lead out in a fashion that makes them utterly inaccessable to those with no cars. It really makes me ill to go there and I just wanted to know if anyone had visited to thier misfortune

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    I have family who live in a town just outside of St. Cloud called Foley. I haven't been there in a few years, but last I remember St. Cloud is a quaint town surrounded by farms and even smaller towns. I'm not so much aware of the sprawl you mentioned, as there is not really anything to sprawl away from. This may also be the point you are trying to make.

     
    Registered
    May 2006
    There is sprawl for sure, but not much to sprawl away from. If you were in "historic" Saint Cloud, you might not have noticed it. I just looked at a map and Foley is the "not so bad" side of St. Cloud. It sprawls towards the West, i beleive because the airport is on the East. If you go to Sartell or Sauk Rapids you'll see that there are the subdivisions typical of Big cities that branch right off of highways....dispicable

This is now the universal pattern of development for communities regardless of their size. The idea of suburban sprawl has always been deceptive. Sprawl has been a suburban phenomenon as an accident of history, where the combination of explosive population growth and sprawl created suburbs to major traditional cities in the shape of sprawl. There is nothing about sprawl that makes it exclusively suburban, and it is now appearing everywhere. You can find an old-fashioned village in a backwater region and some distance down the road a residential subdivision or Wal-Mart.

     
    Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    This is now the universal pattern of development for communities regardless of their size. The idea of suburban sprawl has always been deceptive. Sprawl has been a suburban phenomenon as an accident of history, where the combination of explosive population growth and sprawl created suburbs to major traditional cities in the shape of sprawl. There is nothing about sprawl that makes it exclusively suburban, and it is now appearing everywhere. You can find an old-fashioned village in a backwater region and some distance down the road a residential subdivision or Wal-Mart.
    Just because it's the universal pattern of development doesn't make it right, but I assume you know that. The problem with St. Cloud is it ruins everything. It tries to make a downtown with box stores and what not, but has as many back out on the outskirts. It also has the large, mostly autoless population at the univeristy, perhaps such a pedestrian unfriendly city is why the unnofficial motto is "Hey! It's Tuesday! Let's get DRUNK!". I'm not saying St. Cloud is unique, I'm saying it's Iconic

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban sprawl
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 31 May 2010, 4:04 PM
  2. Poet of urban sprawl
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Dec 2004, 6:46 PM
  3. Is Urban Sprawl Really A Problem?
    Make No Small Plans