Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning Meetups, esp in Toronto (meetup.com)?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2006

Planning Meetups, esp in Toronto (meetup.com)?

Hello all,

I was on meetup.com searching for local meetups of urban planners or public space/urban issues enthusiasts, and was unable to find any. Has anyone thought of starting one of these in their area?

I did see that there was a waiting list of New Urbanism enthusiasts that had no meetup group as of yet.

Is there any interest in this idea? I'm in Toronto so that would be my area of choice but perhaps if other areas get started it might inspire additional cities.

thanks,
    Suzan

Registered
    Sep 2001
    There are a few of us in the GTA who get together every once in awhile for an urban walk or to go to lectures and other things of interest.

If you are interested PM and I'll let you know the next time we are going to hang out. Maybe we can organize something for a larger group.

We are not students, but working planners, if that is OK.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2004
    Does toronto have a chapter of planners network? might be somthing to look into.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by grampafunk
    Does toronto have a chapter of planners network? might be somthing to look into.

The Toronto area OPPI "section" is not too active because there are so many private groups and individuals who put planning related events and talks on.

Next "big" planner event in TO is Tuesday night at the UofT, the Spring Social. Downside it is $45.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    hey there donk,
    anything coming up in the next few weeks?

thanks,
    Suzan

Quote Originally posted by donk
    There are a few of us in the GTA who get together every once in awhile for an urban walk or to go to lectures and other things of interest.

If you are interested PM and I'll let you know the next time we are going to hang out. Maybe we can organize something for a larger group.

We are not students, but working planners, if that is OK.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Suzan
    hey there donk,
    anything coming up in the next few weeks?

thanks,
    Suzan
    I'm sure we can arrange something...we haven't done a walk in a while now.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Like TP said, maybe we can organize something in the coming weeks.

If I did not already have commitments for this weekend I would suggest doing "Doors Open" together.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    sounds good. this week is shot for me as well. this is birthday insanity month anyways... june calms down a bit.

You might wanna check out the Toronto Public Space Committee. It's mainly a public advocacy group that does a lot of other things (street art etc.) as well. Locally prominent, very active & growing. People there come from a variety of backgrounds and can be somewhat "activist-y" but that can be a plus for some. Very active discussions too.

They have monthly general meetings, just google them to find out when.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2006

TPSC etc

I'm actually already involved with the TPSC, have gone to the various Munk Centre talks, GTA forum, St Lawrence Forum, DX architecture/sustainability/urbanism discussions, and contribute to Spacing Magazine... so if anyone knows of anything additional let me know...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 May 2010, 3:47 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Feb 2010, 9:25 PM
  3. DC urban planning meetup
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Mar 2009, 10:09 AM
  4. Planning positions in Toronto and Vancouver
    Career Development and Advice