Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Highlands, NC (no 56k)

Registered
    Mar 2005

Highlands, NC (no 56k)

Small resort town, built as a resort town atop mountains. I was gonna do "Guess the Region," as I imagined myself in CO or somewhere in the Rockies...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I don't remember the town, but I remember going to the area a couple times as a kid and staying at a really nice resort on a mountain. My mom can't remember the name and I can't either. It was great fun for kids from the flatlands of Florida!

     
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Nice pics, looks like a cute little town.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My hometown is just 30 miles south of Highlands so I have spent a lot of time in and around the town over the years. I enjoyed many a weekend hiking in the surrounding woods, and taking dates up for a day of walking around and visiting ice cream shops and secluded scenic overlooks. Highlands is a beautiful town that at first served as a place for many of the well-heeled from the South Carolina Lowcountry to spend the summer but has now been inundated with masses of wealthy Atlantans.

Some Highlands trivia:
    - At around 4500 ft. Highlands is supposedly the highest (or is it second highest?) incorporated town in the Eastern US

- There is a marker off of the main drag that claims to be the location of one of Hernando DeSoto's camps during his exploration of America in the 1500's.

- My tiny high school's basketball team almost always played against Highland's even tinier high school during homecoming so we could guarantee a win.

- I have taken a leak off the rock where jmello took the first picture in the thread.
    Last edited by biscuit; 05 Jun 2006 at 4:56 PM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Highlands Ranch at 25: smart or sprawl?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 08 Aug 2006, 7:30 PM
  2. Issaquah Highlands
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Mar 2003, 3:54 PM
  3. Sao Paulo vs Highlands Ranch
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 15 Apr 2002, 11:27 AM