Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Real, Official GRE info?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Real, Official GRE info?

I am looking to accomplish the GRE this summer/fall. I googled "GRE" and found TONS of sites. Anyone have a link to the official GRE admin site? Someplace where I could sign up and schedule the test?

Also, any good info on GRE preperation/study?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2005
    http://www.ets.org/gre/

check the study books out from the library. there are also tons of downloads (software + pdf's) from the ETS site.

i took it (and the gmat) a few months ago, went pretty well just using those resources. i wouldn't take the classes; a minimal amount of self-discipline and some good books will suffice.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Thanks Friend.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    zMan....I bought the ETS Practicing to Take the General Test book and found it to be the most helpful. Also when you register for the exam ETS will send you a CD-R of 2 practice exams and a good math review or I think that you can download it from the ETS site as well. One thing that I received free (for being a poor undergrad student) was the "Score It Now" Online Writing Practice...it's $10 well spent in order to critique your writing the essays on the analytical writing section. I think I spent about 6 weeks of self-study and managed a respectable 1110 combined score with a 5.5 (out of 6) on the writing section.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The District
    http://www.ets.org/gre/

check the study books out from the library. there are also tons of downloads (software + pdf's) from the ETS site.

i took it (and the gmat) a few months ago, went pretty well just using those resources. i wouldn't take the classes; a minimal amount of self-discipline and some good books will suffice.

I'd also check out websites like kaplans and pinceton review for free sample tests and partial study guides. While these companies are retrying to sell you services they also have lots of free stuff.

When I prepped for the gmat I bought (no good library handy) the princeton review books and the offical book and was given the kaplan books from a friend.

Both essay questions I had on the test I had seen in the books and had thought about it (5.5 score).

The best thing that princeton and kaplan do is give you a "system" of how to read and pick your answers.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I'll be taking the GRE next monday. I've heard that (and am understanding this as I prepare) there's little you can do to prepare (short-term) for the verbal section except learning the strategies as mentioned earlier. If you're fortunate enough to have a Kong-sized vocabulary, you'll probably coast through this. Otherwise it's all about dissecting words to their roots (having learned a foreign language can sometimes help here, though I wouldn't say it's a distinct advantage.)

The analyticial seems to be easier to prepare for... brush up on your simple mental-math style geometry. And try to remember some of the basic algebraic functions of exponents, roots, etc.

As for the writing, I'm taking a more passive approach 'cause I've always been good at writing (my dad is a technical writer and beat the concept of clear communication into me at an early age.) In addition, I know the majority of schools don't look at it as seriously as the other two numbers.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Nov 2005

free prep is the best!

the University of California has an online, free GRE-prep site that does pretty well with vocabulary & math stuff, and charts your progress. Find it here:

http://www1.ucgateways.org/gre/

The free downloadable tests from ets are also good. download here:

http://ntis01.ets.org/onyx/powerprepTestTakers.htm

Other than that, all you need to study for the verbal is a dictionary and a lot of index cards. If you can't be bothered to read your dictionary (i realize not everyone finds that fun...), there are vocab lists online you can download (free) -- and if you don't feel like scanning the web for one, i have one i can send you. PM me your address and I'll email it.

Princeton Review / Kaplan are okay but nothing great in their books. If you want to read one, go sit in your local bookstore with a notebook and take notes. Not worth buying it.

Number 2

http://www.number2.com/

Great free site for gre vocab prep, math prep, etc...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by njm
    As for the writing, I'm taking a more passive approach 'cause I've always been good at writing (my dad is a technical writer and beat the concept of clear communication into me at an early age.) In addition, I know the majority of schools don't look at it as seriously as the other two numbers.
    That's not necessarily true because the weight the AWA portion is given depends on the discipline that you are applying to. If you are an engineering prospect they are mainly interested in the math score. If you are a social science prospect much more emphasis is given to the verbal and AWA parts because it is a writing and communications heavy discipline.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    That's not necessarily true because the weight the AWA portion is given depends on the discipline that you are applying to. If you are an engineering prospect they are mainly interested in the math score. If you are a social science prospect much more emphasis is given to the verbal and AWA parts because it is a writing and communications heavy discipline.
    Agreed. Do poorly on the writing and it's going to matter. At the very least, study some of the questions that have been asked in the past (on the ETS website) and understand the difference between the two analytical questions.....especially the types of responses they are looking for each.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    maybe we should write an issue analysis of my statment

ok, ok, I can see where you're coming from. in my instance the quantitiative will be more important because I am looking at a more engineering-oriented approach. Most of my reference is to other people in more quantitative fields who were told by their schools that the writing scores were less relevant.

Not that I have to defend myself, but I am studying it... I'm just taking a 'passive approach' (i.e. reading the topic lists and the analytical composition guide from ETS's GRE website) and only practicing a couple essays.

I think that this discussion should emphasize that there are many ways to prepare for an exam and each individual has to determine his or her own 'optimized' learning method. There are no 'good' or 'bad' study techniques; they should all be uniformly labelled 'personality dependent' preparation methods.

That's more than I did...

Quote Originally posted by njm
    maybe we should write an issue analysis of my statment

ok, ok, I can see where you're coming from. in my instance the quantitiative will be more important because I am looking at a more engineering-oriented approach. Most of my reference is to other people in more quantitative fields who were told by their schools that the writing scores were less relevant.

Not that I have to defend myself, but I am studying it... I'm just taking a 'passive approach' (i.e. reading the topic lists and the analytical composition guide from ETS's GRE website) and only practicing a couple essays.

I think that this discussion should emphasize that there are many ways to prepare for an exam and each individual has to determine his or her own 'optimized' learning method. There are no 'good' or 'bad' study techniques; they should all be uniformly labelled 'personality dependent' preparation methods.

and I got 5.5/6 on the analytical/writing section. You'll be fine. Just study as much vocab as you can. I, personally, found myself carrying flashcards around so that at a moment's notice I could quiz myself (an overly obsessive approach to studying...but it worked).

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Which test?

I am signing up for the GRE. Which test should I do? There is a computer based and a non computer based. Is there a difference? Do they differ in timing for getting results back?

-Peart

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I took the computer based test which is adaptive meaning that the questions asked depend on if the previous question was answered correctly or not. The good thing about the computer exam is that you will get to see what your verbal and quant scores are at the end of the test. It took about 2 weeks for me to get the official scores and the writing score. One thing about the writing portion of the computer based test is that the program is very rudimentary and does not have spell check, grammar check, or any of the other niceties of Word, you can cut and paste though so leave enough time to review your writing. You can take the computer based test at any time on any day in a test center.

I never took the paper test since I didn't think you had that option in the U.S. but it appears you can, however you are limited to the dates and times that ETS has selected and it takes about 6 weeks for scores to be returned. Looks like the dates for the paper test are 10/28/06, 2/10/07, and 6/9/07.

As a word of advice if you are planning to apply to grad schools I would take the computer based test this summer and then work on the applications all fall. They take a significant amount of time to put together a quality application and it's hell trying to study for the GRE, be stressed out about anticipating the test, and trying to write applications at the same time. Also if you don't do as well as expected you have time to retake the exam and get scores back before applications are due.

Cheers!
    Kim

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Kim, if you were in Colorado I would kiss your cheek and buy you a beer (in a friendly sort of way, after all, I am taken ).

That is exactly the kind of information that I need!!!!

-Peart

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Kim, if you were in Colorado I would kiss your cheek and buy you a beer (in a friendly sort of way, after all, I am taken ).

That is exactly the kind of information that I need!!!!
    Awww.....if I were there I'd take you up on the offer since CO has great beer unlike this blackhole I live in. I'm just thinking about my own experience last fall in applying for grad school, wishing I knew then what I know now.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    ...and hope that when you finally feel prepared, you don't get the pre-recorded voicemail...
    "This is Thomsen Prometric. The test center that sceduled your appointment has had technical difficulties. All apointements have been reset. Please contact your national call center to reschedule."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Official zoning map
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 23 Dec 2009, 5:41 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Apr 2009, 12:46 AM
  3. The REAL Real Thing: Passover Coke!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 Apr 2006, 10:45 AM