Registered
    Mar 2006
    Germany - Poland as we speak...

don't know who I'm rooting for
    Bring on Spring Training...

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Did anybody catch Spain destroying Ukraine?! WOW! Maybe this is the year everyone's favorite underachiever finally gets its act together! A lot of people I know were pegging Ukraine as a bit of a dark horse in this competition.

I thought Ukraine always turned out the top soccer players for the USSR back in the day...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by LadyBuc

I'm guessing you're rooting for the Schwarz Rote Gold team, but I could be wrong. . .

I'm picking the home team to kick some serious football butt on the way to the final game.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2004

I just saw the last 20 minutes or so.

Germany 1
    Poland 0
    Germany scored the winner one minute into extra time (91st minute).

Also, in about the 88th minute, 2 successive German shots hit the crossbar from close range, the second off of the rebound from the first.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920

Germany 1
    Poland 0
    Germany scored the winner one minute into extra time (91st minute).
    They have not been real impressive so far, but we do have 6 points!

Keep it up, Kliens-"boys"...

Registered
    Apr 2005

Soca Warriors!!!

Today's the day! England was unimpressive in their match against Paraguay. So what if Wayne Rooney comes on as a sub. It won't make a difference. There will be a goal in this match and it won't be from England!

Watching the game during my lunch hour, extended to 2 hrs. Go to http://live.canoe.ca/Videos/Sports/S...3/1629987.html. Cool huh?

GO SOCA WARRIORS!!!!!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I cant even discuss world cup when its 64 games are being limited to one thread...
    I'd like to not avoid spoilers

It would be nice if the US team actually hustled for its next game.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I love how the refs are very loose w/ the cards this year, against the not-so-favored teams. Yeah, I'm talking Spain/Ecuador...England/Trin-Tob

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Argentina 6
    Serbia Montenegro 0

Abit of piling on at the end, Serbia etal were down to 10 men and were losing 3-nil. Argentia still scores 3 more goals, 2 in the final 10 minutes. Give me a break, that's great sportsmanship. The announcers (on XM radio) said the subsitutes had something to prove to their coach and they should be starting.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    Argentina 6
    Serbia Montenegro 0

Abit of piling on at the end, Serbia etal were down to 10 men and were losing 3-nil. Argentia still scores 3 more goals, 2 in the final 10 minutes. Give me a break, that's great sportsmanship. The announcers (on XM radio) said the subsitutes had something to prove to their coach and they should be starting.
    Don't forget, though, that 'goal differential' *IS* the first tiebreak in group play, so I don't blame Argentina for running up the score here. OTOH, the referee did decline to add the usual 'injury time' to the end of the game.

YMMV.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Don't forget, though, that 'goal differential' *IS* the first tiebreak in group play, so I don't blame Argentina for running up the score here. OTOH, the referee did decline to add the usual 'injury time' to the end of the game.

YMMV.

Mike
    True that on the goals diff, but for example, Sweden held the ball in the corner for the last couple minutes of injury time in yeasterday's match and they were only up 2-nil. It just a difference in a classy team.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I was in a "task force" meeting (10 people present) yesterday when the Chairman's phone range. He answered it and then started showing unbriddled ecstasy. I had just found out from his wife that Germany had won. Kaiser (name changed to protect his identity) is a native German through and through. He and I talk football (soccer) frequently.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2005

Trinidad was robbed

Quote Originally posted by Jeff
    I love how the refs are very loose w/ the cards this year, against the not-so-favored teams. Yeah, I'm talking Spain/Ecuador...England/Trin-Tob
    Yes and to top it off, England's 1st goal should not have counted because of Crouch's grabbing and the leverage he got on the player's back.

The Trinidadian no-goal should have counted. He was not offside at all. Oh well. Sweden will lose on Tuesday and Trinidad will beat Paraguay to go to the next round.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Germany 3
    Croatia 0

My mom called from Germany and said that people are already singing "We're going to Berlin"!

We have to beat some pretty good teams to get there...
    C'mon KLOSE "You can doooo it..."

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Germany 3
    Croatia 0

My mom called from Germany and said that people are already singing "We're going to Berlin"!

We have to beat some pretty good teams to get there...
    C'mon KLOSE "You can doooo it..."
    You mean Equador dont you? Australia is playing Croatia at 5am tomorrow morning (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
    Im just hoping we get a ref that doesnt want to penalise us for no good reason, like what happened against Brazil- 25-9 the penality count was, what a load of Bulls**t.

I think USA has a good chance tonight but
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2005
    To Bruce Arena:

Thank you for your wonderful years of service. You are responsible for taking the US National Soccer program to new and never imagineable heights. Soccer in the US owes you a debt of gratitute but now it is time to part ways.

end letter.

He has been great and he deserves a ton of credit, but now it's time for a change. This world cup will be the last of many managers and the US ought to secure a manager with a winning pedigree and someone that has taken teams further in the tournament.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Ghana 2 - USA 1 I hope ABC or someone replays the game this weekend. I would like to see it
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    it was actually a pretty good game, excitement wise. but landon donovan failed to show up. and on a couple of the set pieces he totally flaked.

i'm happy for Ghana. if someone besides the US had to advance i'm glad it is Ghana. give'em and their country something to be happy and proud of.

i was surprised by ESPN's Eric Wynalda calling out Bruce Arena. he didn't hide his feelings about it being time for Arena to go bye-bye.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    it was actually a pretty good game, excitement wise. but landon donovan failed to show up. and on a couple of the set pieces he totally flaked.

i'm happy for Ghana. if someone besides the US had to advance i'm glad it is Ghana. give'em and their country something to be happy and proud of.

i was surprised by ESPN's Eric Wynalda calling out Bruce Arena. he didn't hide his feelings about it being time for Arena to go bye-bye.
    I thought that it was a decent game, too. I also agree with other commentators in that it is time for Arena to move on and that a couple of players didn't show up. Also, that penalty kick late in the first half....

And not only did the USA not advance, but powerhouse Czech Republic also goes home. Going in, I was expecting those two and not Italy and Ghana to advance. It was indeed the REAL 'Group of Death™'.

Even though they are advancing, too, I was not at all impressed with Mexico's play and do not expect them to get past their first or second second round match.

Anyways, I also think that Ghana will have a big and enthusiastic, well-deserved following in the second round and from what I have seen of Brasil's play (*WHATTA PATHETIC GROUP THEY DREW!!!*), Ghana should have no problems with them in their next match.

Right now, I have to think that the favorites to win it all are now Argentina, Germany and Spain, with my narrow nod going to Argentina.

Mike

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Ghana should have no problems with them in their next match.
    Ghana will be missing their best player (Essien) for the next match so I'm not as confident as you. It will be a good match to watch though!

I was really hoping for a Brazil-Italy match up in the knockout round so that at least one of teams that annoy me would be going home! There is still an ever so slight chance that Australia could top the group and let that happen, but it would take a stunning upset by Japan, and a bunch of goals by the Socceroos.

Registered
    Jun 2005

We Made It!!!

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

To all you doubters out there!!!!

WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO

sorry just a little excited
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I just saw from the Sympatico News website which I get automatically sent to after signing out of my hotmail email account that Italy advances.

Let's just say that I'm glad that I'm now down in Little Italy. I can imagine it being a bit crazy on the streets.

Is Toronto the only city that sees its streets being clogged with people celebrating over World Cup victories? Just curious...

Registered
    Aug 2005

wow!

Italy just won on a PK in stoppage time!

the italian player took a dive in the box and the ref gave them a PK.

natski, sorry about the Socceroos! i was pulling for them.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    Italy just won on a PK in stoppage time!

the italian player took a dive in the box and the ref gave them a PK.

natski, sorry about the Socceroos! i was pulling for them.
    I haven't seen the replays, but my goodness! It better well have been a bloody mugging in the box to award a PK in extra time of a knockout round match!

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Thanksgiving - 2006
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 24 Nov 2006, 12:46 PM
  2. Le Tour 2006
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 05 Aug 2006, 12:18 PM
  3. St. Patrick's Day 2006