Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: World Cup 2006

Quote Originally posted by noj
    ...Shame for me that England went out; as usual we were undone by penalties, a coach who no invention whatsoever and a stupid piece of petulance from one of our players.
    So, has Rooney been able to show his face anywhere in the UK?

Crouch, I thought, was horrid.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Rooney hasn't been pilloried much at all, certainly not as much as Beckham did after getting sent off in the '98 World Cup.

I actually don't mind the Crouchatron; I think he does quite well with fairly limited resources. Played quite well as the lone striker against Portugal too. The main massive mistake was Ericsson taking only four strikers, one of whom was injured, one very injury prone and one who has never played a top flight game before.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Crouch, I thought, was horrid.
    Huh!? Don't be dissing my main man there 'dunker! I thought Crouch played much better than Rooney, at any rate - he actually fought for the ball when England punted it up. Rooney is lost in a 4-5-1 formation...struggled to even get a touch and then lost his temper, as usual. I thought England played better down a man, with Beckham and Rooney gone and Crouch and Lennon on.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but "vive la France!"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Luca
    Italy 2 - Germany 0

Absolute mastery and steely determination in the defense, blinding breaks and porecision in midfield, daring in the attack. two goals like poetry in motion.

Roark, change your damn picture thingy
    Ehh... I am going to keep it up through the third place game, Tuesday was a heartbreaker, but this has been a pretty good cup so far.

Hard this to believe this is the same Italian team that held on to 1-1 tie against a US team that was 2 short.

GO FRANCE!
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Sure, you guys think it's funny. But LadyBuc, who is German, well, didn't come into work yesterday....

Registered
    Mar 2006
    It felt like 1982 all over again...the first goal sucked the life right out of me
    I cancelled my trip to rome next year....there's no way I'm spending my hard earned $$$ in THAT country!
    Bring on Spring Training...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Italy wins. Like, big deal. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i thought it was a pretty decent game. i was pulling for france, especially Henry . i'm a little disappointed in Zidane's less than classy exit from the game.

c'est la vie.

2010 in South Africa? will you be there?

i've already talked my father into making the trip, now i've got to talk my mother and BF into it as well.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I had a chance to catch the last 15 minutes of regulation time, the overtimes, and the penalty kick excitement. I didn't have a favorite, so congrats to both teams for advancing to the finals. Congrats to Italy for their World Cup championship.

I did get a little tired of the "coronation" of Zedane by the American announcers. All through the second half they yack-yack-yacked about his final moments on the World Cup stage. Then he pulls the head-in-the-chest idiotic blunder (frustration wins again) and the announcers seemed stumped for about a minute.....not willing to jump in and say that it was not a classy move. Finally they said it and repeated it.....coronation over.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Evidently the best way to win in the world cup is to have Howard Roark cheer for the team you are playing. In this case the Italians took down the US (well tied) the Germans, and my defacto team France.

In the pub where I watched the game there was quite a bit of speculation on a racial slur directed towards Zidane that precipitated the head butt, since elimination of xenophobia and racism was an underlying component of this cup, this could be an issue that will blow up in the press.

The first picture above is Italian goalkeeper Buffon’s girlfriend. The second looks like fan who may be…ahhh…”padding the goods a little”
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It is interesting to see all the cheap shots and retaliations. I think they said that this year was a record number of red cards in the tournament. You would think that these guys would have a level of maturity to just suck it up and play instead of doing something boneheaded. I hate to say it but international athletes seem to make American athletes look mature.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    It is interesting to see all the cheap shots and retaliations. I think they said that this year was a record number of red cards in the tournament. You would think that these guys would have a level of maturity to just suck it up and play instead of doing something boneheaded. I hate to say it but international athletes seem to make American athletes look mature.
    just a thought, but maybe it has to do with passion? it seems like most professional athletes in american are just in it for the paycheck.*

*obviously there are those in all countries and sports who have lost their passion for the game. it just seems like there are more in the US.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    just a thought, but maybe it has to do with passion? it seems like most professional athletes in american are just in it for the paycheck.*

*obviously there are those in all countries and sports who have lost their passion for the game. it just seems like there are more in the US.
    You can still have passion and maintain your composure at the same time. When you respond to the goading you are just showing your weakness.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    You can still have passion and maintain your composure at the same time. When you respond to the goading you are just showing your weakness.
    But then again, they are at this incredible world level- and playing for their country. I dont think any of us could begin to understand how they would feel being out there and pulling on a jersey to play. That sort of emotional stuff plays with peoples minds- you just cant predict what someone will do in the heat of the moment.

I would love to know what was said to Zidane to make him do that but (i mean who headbutts someones chest? what happened to the good ol fist fight!)
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Good for Italy. I was rooting for them!!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Howard Roark
    since elimination of xenophobia and racism was an underlying component of this cup, this could be an issue that will blow up in the press.
    Well, another big issue was sportsmanship (FIFA always makes it a big issue) and what Zidane did was anything but a show of sportsmanship, both through the headbutt and not returning to the field to be with his team after the loss. After that I am glad that was his last game.

The best thing, though is that the French really were winning the game for all of extra time and most of the second half. Then, in typical French fashion they pretty much laid down and gave it up.

I have a suggestion to improve football: black boots. Only black boots. I mean, everything that could be wrong with colors is wrong. Black boots.

I thought France were very aggressive in the second half and the OT while Italy were good on the defensive end of the pitch.

Congratulations Azzurri!

I had recorded most of the game to watch a little later in the day - after Tour de France coverage and the Red Sox, and since the overtime wasn't accounted for, I missed it. I was rooting for France, partly as a Francophile and partly for Zidane, but when I read online what the outcome of the overtimes were and Zidane's less than classy behavior, I was disappointed. I couldn't believe that this elder statesman could have lowered himself like that.

Was rather surprised that ABC's coverage included shots of the throngs at City Hall Plaza in Boston watching the game. Why Boston? Weren't there other cities with an interest and a following?

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

More at Cyburbia

1. Thanksgiving - 2006
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 24 Nov 2006, 12:46 PM
  2. Le Tour 2006
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 05 Aug 2006, 12:18 PM
  3. St. Patrick's Day 2006