Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: AICP study materials for November 06 test.

  1. #1
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,116

    AICP study materials for November 06 test.

    Well, it looks like both Maister and I will be taking the AICP exam this fall. I have been trying to do some of the research such as reading books on the list, reading my planning magazine and such. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, ideas, or information that they would like to share in the way of study guides and other available information?

    I have looked at a few other threads with this, and most of the information has been general, so I am now asking for specific recommendations.

    Thanks!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  2. #2
    Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,568
    Same list I always spout off.....from http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showp...27&postcount=2

    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I've done a couple of workshops on AICP prep...here's my recommended reading list:
    • Practice of Local Government Planning (Green Book); ICMA
    • Small Town Planning Handbook; Daniels, Keller, Lapping
    • Neighborhood Planning; Jones
    • Classic Readings In Urban Planning; Stein
    • Contemporary Urban Planning; Levy
    • The Planners Use of Information; Dandekar
    • AICP Exam Study Guide; APA Chapter Presidents Council
    • Blakely's Planning Local Economic Development
    • AICP Code of Ethics
    • Planning Magazine
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

  3. #3
    Cyburbian Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    4,468
    Same info I posted in the other thread as well.....

    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    I used the CPC Chapter Manual, the AICP cd's, and notes from Leo Slusser (a friend sent me those, but you can download them from off of a few state chapter websites). I don't know if AICP has updated the study CD's, but I used the ones I had from 2001. I thought they were the most useful out of everything that I had.
    http://www.planningpa.org/career_aicp.shtml
    http://www.studystack.com/Home.jsp
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Tide's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Gig City
    Posts
    2,644
    As seen in the May '06 thread

    Things to do;

    Contact your State APA and see what they have to offer a class or information. NJ was supposed to have a class but was cancelled, I still got the ton of information from them though, I have it on CD (along with a lot of other info I have compiled) I could burn you a copy if you PM me.

    1) I made flash cards for Court Cases and VIPs. Even though this is only 5-10 questions on the test it should be automatic points.
    2) I took as many practice exams as possible to find my strengths (ethics, history, transportation) and my weaknesses (theory, plan making, plan implementation, management) and from there I studied appropriately.
    3) I read all the information they gave me. Searched other state APA chapters for information. I've heard that other planning website (planetizine?) has a pretty good course and my friend used it and scored better than I.
    4) Read the ethics and scenarios right off the AICP site and know the ethics inside and out.

    Things I didn't find useful.
    1) The AICP review material that is like 200 dollars off their site. It's basically a glorified outline with little substantial info. And the CD is crap too.
    2) The Green Bible. Most of the hand out info I've accumulated from State APA's was overview of that book so you don't necessarily have to read that book.
    3) Don't think in terms of how you handle situations at work or school... answer how they want you to answer.

    When it was all said and done:

    I had to infer a LOT of questions leaning on the Ethics and general AICP procedures. Study your court cases but know why they are important not just who won and what was decided. Don't need to know what court level they were heard in. Know your plan making and public participation and the BEST ways to spur public participation for certain situations.

    And Good Luck!
    @GigCityPlanner

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Cardinal's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Cheese State
    Posts
    9,920
    Stan is taking the test?!

    Look for all of the obscure points of trivia you can find. What was the population of the United States in the 1980 Census. What did Saul Alinsky contribute to planning? How much of your salary should you tithe to the APA? Seriously, its not like they try to assess your ability as a planner.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

  6. #6
    Cyburbian Plus Salmissra's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    Contact your State APA and see what they have to offer a class or information. NJ was supposed to have a class but was cancelled, I still got the ton of information from them though, I have it on CD (along with a lot of other info I have compiled) I could burn you a copy if you PM me.

    1) I made flash cards for Court Cases and VIPs. Even though this is only 5-10 questions on the test it should be automatic points.
    2) I took as many practice exams as possible to find my strengths (ethics, history, transportation) and my weaknesses (theory, plan making, plan implementation, management) and from there I studied appropriately.
    3) I read all the information they gave me. Searched other state APA chapters for information. I've heard that other planning website (planetizine?) has a pretty good course and my friend used it and scored better than I.
    4) Read the ethics and scenarios right off the AICP site and know the ethics inside and out.

    Things I didn't find useful.
    1) The AICP review material that is like 200 dollars off their site. It's basically a glorified outline with little substantial info. And the CD is crap too.
    2) The Green Bible. Most of the hand out info I've accumulated from State APA's was overview of that book so you don't necessarily have to read that book.
    3) Don't think in terms of how you handle situations at work or school... answer how they want you to answer.

    When it was all said and done:

    I had to infer a LOT of questions leaning on the Ethics and general AICP procedures. Study your court cases but know why they are important not just who won and what was decided. Don't need to know what court level they were heard in. Know your plan making and public participation and the BEST ways to spur public participation for certain situations.

    And Good Luck!
    Ditto. I also highly recommend study groups. Get together on a regimented schedule (we did 2 lunches a week and one after work) to go over specific things, take tests, review materials, share books, etc. I learned a lot, and even had one question on the test make me think "Oh yeah, Eric talked about this issue from his days in UNNAMED STATE. I know the answer is XXXX".

    The Carol Barrett book on ethics is good. She provides scenarios and test questions, so you know how to answer like a planner, which is the key to passing the test.

    PM me if you want a list of the books I used. I'm willing to loan them out to you guys, if you pay postage!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

  7. #7
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    ????
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Look for all of the obscure points of trivia you can find. What was the population of the United States in the 1980 Census.
    I bet that I had 12-15 questions on census figures. I was suprised how few questions I had on history and dates.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    As seen in the May '06 thread

    Things to do;

    Contact your State APA and see what they have to offer a class or information. NJ was supposed to have a class but was cancelled, I still got the ton of information from them though, I have it on CD (along with a lot of other info I have compiled) I could burn you a copy if you PM me.

    1) I made flash cards for Court Cases and VIPs. Even though this is only 5-10 questions on the test it should be automatic points.
    2) I took as many practice exams as possible to find my strengths (ethics, history, transportation) and my weaknesses (theory, plan making, plan implementation, management) and from there I studied appropriately.
    3) I read all the information they gave me. Searched other state APA chapters for information. I've heard that other planning website (planetizine?) has a pretty good course and my friend used it and scored better than I.
    4) Read the ethics and scenarios right off the AICP site and know the ethics inside and out.

    Things I didn't find useful.
    1) The AICP review material that is like 200 dollars off their site. It's basically a glorified outline with little substantial info. And the CD is crap too.
    2) The Green Bible. Most of the hand out info I've accumulated from State APA's was overview of that book so you don't necessarily have to read that book.
    3) Don't think in terms of how you handle situations at work or school... answer how they want you to answer.

    When it was all said and done:

    I had to infer a LOT of questions leaning on the Ethics and general AICP procedures. Study your court cases but know why they are important not just who won and what was decided. Don't need to know what court level they were heard in. Know your plan making and public participation and the BEST ways to spur public participation for certain situations.

    And Good Luck!
    This is sound advice that I can relate to, as I passed in May after failing in Nov. 05. The best resource for me was Carol Barrett's Everyday Ethics for Practicing Planners. It helped to get in the APA/AICP frame of mind (answering questions the way they want them answerd). Even though the book is frustrating at times because she doesn't always give an exact answer, it really put me on top to answer correctly the AICP exam questions about ethics. I found little use for the green book in terms of perparing for the exam. As far as APA's exam prep manual and CD, there is a whole lot of that manual that is NOT on the test, and the sample exam questions on the CD are nothing like the actual exam questions.

  9. #9
         
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    3
    The Planetizen AICP course was really helpful. While it cost $98, the breadth of information organized by modules made studying much easier. In addition, there is a companion video course that provides a more detailed overview of each module. I just took the exam a few weeks ago and passed relying mostly on the course, the AICP Code of Ethics, and Census 2000. I never opened the Green Book.

  10. #10
    Member
    Registered
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1

    Searching for an AICP Study Guide

    Hi everyone

    I am new to this site and I was wondering if somebody can help me. I've read a couple of messages and some of you are willing to burn a copy of the AICP Study Guide for others. I don't know how to send a message to that person but I hope "you" will be able to read my message.

    I have stopped working to have a baby and have stayed home for almost 4 years now. I'd like to review myself and I thought the AICP Study Guide is the best material for me. Does anybody know where I can get a used one or if somebody can give me one??? I'd really really appreciate it!

    It's been a while and after being a stay-at-home mom for years, I feel like my brain has been stagnant....

    please help me

    PM pretty please!!!!

    Thanks!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Feb 2014, 12:54 PM
  2. AICP study materials??
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Jan 2009, 11:01 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Oct 2007, 4:17 PM
  4. AICP study materials available
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Jul 2006, 10:51 AM