Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Small town garbage issues

Registered
    Feb 2006

Small town garbage issues

1) Our town has three private haulers currently with little or no regulation. Is it common practicIe to do an RFP for a single hauler for a town 3000-5000?

2) For some reason, this town allows dumpsters (bulk metal storage containers) at residences. I have tried to get our council to change this, without much luck. Is this acceptable generally?

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I am seeing more single-family home owners using those metal dumpster lately. I can only speculate that the trash company gives them a fee break once they exceed the limits of one large rolling plastic container and need a second one. Trash cans are not to be on the curb for more than 24 hours a week per our code. However most single-family properties don't have a place to store these large metal dumpsters for the rest of the week (they must be screened from the street also) and if they did people grow tired of rolling them back and forth so they end up in the street all the time. It does becomes a code enforecement issue. We look the other way if they have pulled a building permit and are doing work on the house that requires a dumpster for refuse.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It is very common for city governments to let a single contract for waste pick-up. This often results in a better rate for residents, and if it is on the tax bill instead of a separate bill, then it can also be written off on income taxes.

Many cities have requirements that trash cans be screened from public view. While they could have metal bins, they would still need to comply with the ordinance - out of sight.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Senior Jefe
    I am seeing more single-family home owners using those metal dumpster lately. I can only speculate that the trash company gives them a fee break once they exceed the limits of one large rolling plastic container and need a second one. Trash cans are not to be on the curb for more than 24 hours a week per our code. However most single-family properties don't have a place to store these large metal dumpsters for the rest of the week (they must be screened from the street also) and if they did people grow tired of rolling them back and forth so they end up in the street all the time. It does becomes a code enforecement issue. We look the other way if they have pulled a building permit and are doing work on the house that requires a dumpster for refuse.
    I believe that what we have is actually a group of people who go in together on a dumpster.

My council views this as something thats not a big deal, but I have told them I think that you have to enforce these things. I proposed at our last meeting eliminating them for residences with the exception of temporary permits for construction/remodeling projects and it was basically tossed out.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Your landfill must be meeting its 25% reduction level if the DNR is not forcing you into "Pay as You Throw". One problem with three haulers is you get three times the damage to your streets. Do the individual citizens contract privatly from who ever they want? If the city bills out for service how do you know who to pay. ( I am begining to be glad that they hired you instead of me )
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A small town that isn't a town
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 04 Aug 2010, 10:20 AM
  2. Big Town versus Small Town
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Oct 2007, 1:57 AM
  3. Replies: 2