Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Help Me Find Cheap Tickets

Registered
    Jul 1998

Help Me Find Cheap Tickets

Where is the best site to book airline tickets? Does it make any difference which one you use? Help me travel veterans.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Expedia is great, but it doesnt usually list the discount airlines.

If you going somewhere on of the discount airlines go, best bet is through the site itself.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i tend to use orbitz to look for the cheapest flight and then book through the carrier themselves in order to make sure i get frequent flier miles.

http://www.cheaptickets.com/ used to be good but i've found better deals through Expedia and/or Orbitz.

going anywhere fun?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Going to the ICMA conference in San Antonio in September.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    Where is the best site to book airline tickets? Does it make any difference which one you use? Help me travel veterans.
    A few pointers....

Delta and Continental have cheap web fares that are announced on Tuesdays. These are usually for weekend travel.

Hotwire.com is great if you have time flexibility since you buy the ticket for the flight and not the times. I've used them 5-6 times and never had more than a 2 hour layover anywhere.

Orbitz usually has pretty good fares with the times listed.

Figure out if the airport you are flying out of or into is a hub airport...fares between big airports are generally cheaper than to smaller regional airports (but not always)

Also determine which airline is based in your closest airport...if they run more flights out of your aiprort the fare will oftentimes be cheaper.

Flying in/out on a Tues/Weds/Thurs/Sun is usually a bit less than other days. Also if you are needing a hotel, check out the 'vacation' packages on the travel sites because either the hotel or the flight will be discounted if they are bundled together.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    well i don't know where you are located but Southwest has pretty cheap flights to San Antonio from a lot of places in the South.

have fun!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I agree with some of the statements above. I usually buy tickets directly from the airlines (on the web) because that is the best price I have found. Good luck!
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Hey Giff... will you be using the snazzy southeast iowa airport? I've flown to and from there countless times (once my mom and I were the only ones on the plane). But it can be pricey and it only goes to st. louis so you could be stuck with a long layover. Sure is convenient though.

My brother flies all over the place all the time, for fun (single guys can afford to do that stuff) and he uses Priceline a lot.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    i tend to use orbitz to look for the cheapest flight and then book through the carrier themselves in order to make sure i get frequent flier miles.

http://www.cheaptickets.com/ used to be good but i've found better deals through Expedia and/or Orbitz.

going anywhere fun?
    I've used www.cheaptickets.com once, and it was a horrible experience. After finding tickets for my wife and I, we entered our debit/credit card information only to be told that the tickets were no longer available.

Unfortunately, they still placed a "hold" on our account for the ticket price, even though the tickets weren't even available. We had to wait a day before we could use our debit card again. Guess what? Same thing happened again the next day. We ended up getting tickets throught them, but I've been scared to use them ever since.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by cch
    Hey Giff... will you be using the snazzy southeast iowa airport? I've flown to and from there countless times (once my mom and I were the only ones on the plane). But it can be pricey and it only goes to st. louis so you could be stuck with a long layover. Sure is convenient though.

My brother flies all over the place all the time, for fun (single guys can afford to do that stuff) and he uses Priceline a lot.
    The price isn't too bad if you connect with another American flight. It is convenient.
    Those little turbo-props can get a little rough. It's almost all female pilots in their 20's flying those things now. We had a hard landing in STL last time because someone refered to the Captain as a "he". She set him straight and added a nice bump for good measure.
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

well....

Lately I've been going directly to the airline websites and had luck with US AIR and Delta but....try

www.kayak.com
    www.airgorilla.com
    www.cheaptickets.com (I've had luck, but others haven't see above)
    www.cheapseats.com
    www.qixo.com

By the way, Southwest seems to really suck....every single time I've looked to fly them, they NEVER have the cheap seats, only the expensive one's....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Our airport provides links to airlines giving deep discounts to/from there, which is how I found the $99 flight to San Antonio for APA. You still have to go to the airline to book, but at least it alerts us to the lowest fares out there. Check your airport site.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I discovered that with one carrier (American) out of our airport, the discount for connecting to another American flight is cheaper than driving to St Louis and using another carrier. I booked a flight yesterday at $302.
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If you must fly Delta, you get the lowest fares booking directly thru their web site. Make sure you sign up for frequent flier miles, too. I'm nearing a free round trip flight.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    A few pointers...Hotwire.com...Orbitz...
    None of these sites list the fares for Jet Blue, AirTran or Southwest. Check their websites before visting any of the clearinghouses.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    None of these sites list the fares for Jet Blue, AirTran or Southwest. Check their websites before visting any of the clearinghouses.
    I agree.....if you are lucky enough to be served by them (I'm not).
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    I agree.....if you are lucky enough to be served by them (I'm not).
    Jet Blue is starting service to Charlotte next month.

http://www.jetblue.com/travelinfo/routemap.asp

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Sep 2013, 10:03 PM
  2. Boss tickets
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Jun 2006, 4:01 PM
  3. Free AHL tickets
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5