Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: It's a dark day in my county

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

It's a dark day in my county

Enjoy your last burger and beer at one of the only Hooters actually on the beach, because in the coming months it will be replaced with a full-service resort, with about 1,700 second homes and condominiums.

The Next Generation Beach Resort will cost anywhere from $250,000 to $3 million. To vacationers, it is a destination hot spot.

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/2996966.html
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Methinks that the Hooters in Toledo (west end, near the giant regional mall) is gasping for air. I am a not a regular there but I work with some guys who go there all of the time. They are describing it as nowhere near as busy when it opened, to a lot of fanfare and complaints, about 10 years ago.

Odd to think that a Hooters in a vibrant and beautiful resort community like Toledo could hit the skids. I understand the demise of the Hooters in RJ's rust belt neck of the woods. Who would want to live in sunshine all year long?

Bear Keeping Everybody Abreast Of The Scene In Toledo
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    The one that they opened here flopped in the first 18 months

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jhboyle
    The one that they opened here flopped in the first 18 months
    And nobody likes Hooters that flop early.
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Off topic: Tuesday I went to a restaurant (no, not Hooters) with my family and I saw another family. The father was wearing a Hooters t-shirt and so was his teen-aged daughter (maybe 14 or 15). I thought: "isn't that the sort of shirt a father should say 'No daughter of mine is leaving the house wearing something like that!"? Or maybe he is grooming her for her college job cuz he is spending her college fund on lottery tickets. .
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Meh - Hooters.

Overpriced generic food with crappy service, all for the rights to stare at boobies and get flirted with. Thanks, but no thanks.

If I want to see boobies, I'll just go to a strip club for a better view. As portland leads the nation in sexual-oriented business per capita. I have plenty of opportunity.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by bdaleray
    Meh - Hooters.

Overpriced generic food with crappy service, all for the rights to stare at boobies and get flirted with. Thanks, but no thanks.

If I want to see boobies, I'll just go to a strip club for a better view. As portland leads the nation in sexual-oriented business per capita. I have plenty of opportunity.
    *LOL* I used to run a restaurant on SE Powell Blvd-sleazy strip joint row....it was a 24 hour restaurant and let's just say the later it was the more entertaining it got. (no it was not a strip joint).
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2004
    The food at Hooters is absolutely horrible. The scenery, on the otherhand, can be quite nice depending on what town you're in
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Any day a Hooters closes is a dark day indeed.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    Any day a Hooters closes is a dark day indeed.
    I agree, it's a tradition with me and Mr. Hab. Go, drink a pitcher, chat over wings, drink another pitcher..
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The only time I was ever in a Hooters was at APA in San Antonio in April, with RJ, for a quick drink on the Riverwalk. I was surprised by how dirty is was and asked him if that was typical. Yep. Ewwww.....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    The only time I was ever in a Hooters was at APA in San Antonio in April, with RJ, for a quick drink on the Riverwalk. I was surprised by how dirty is was and asked him if that was typical. Yep. Ewwww.....
    That one was a lot worse than any I'd been in, much worse. There were slow at cleaning tables off and there was trash on the floor- gross. The one in San Francisco is nice.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    I agree, it's a tradition with me and Mr. Hab. Go, drink a pitcher, chat over wings, drink another pitcher..
    Yeah, me and my buddies we went there over Christmas break and we just sat and talked and talked, eating wing after wing, and drinking coke after coke. We stayed until they made us leave.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Here is what I find funny... you can go in and see... well yea. Or you can look out the windows onto the beach and see many more women wearing much less.

As long as they re-open someplace in your community, I am sure it will be fine. If they donít reopen, well I would move if I was you.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Bleh.. Hooters? Around here it's only for Yuppies... like most other American Chains... except the typical Pizza chains and burger chains... those were smart enough to adapt to our market instead of trying to fit in an American way of life model that is only attractive to yuppies with cash to burn due to their high management jobs at age 30 and that will get booted 10 years later... So it's the yuppie nightmare after that... mwhahahaha...

My FIL is a part-owner (very minority interest) in two. He gets a nice check every month for doing ... nothing.

Off-topic:
    When's the last time you saw an out-of-business McDonalds?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Jobs on the Dark Side
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Sep 2011, 5:31 PM
  2. Article about a dark sky community
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 02 Sep 2008, 10:17 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 7:43 PM