Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Carpool Situation and tactful suggestion??

Registered
    Jul 2002

Carpool Situation and tactful suggestion??

I am in a carpool with anywhere between 2 and 5 people depending on the day and the how many meetings each of us have. 4 of the 5 riders are pretty fit and many people would probably consider us skinny, the 5th person is over weight. Here is the situation. I have been in this car pool for 8.5 weeks and the heavy person has never offered to sit in the front seat when all 5 riders show up, as a result we are pretty cozy in the back.

Have any of you been in this situation?

Is there any tactful way to say “Hey ______ why don’t you sit in the front today!”

If you car pool feel free to share your strange, uncomfortable or other situations.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Can't you just talk to everyone else? Then when all five show up, all the skinny people can just jump in the back, not giving the big guy/girl a chance to.

Do you all get in the car at once in the morning? Is the hefty person picked up last/near last? If so, just leave the front seat empty. He/she will get the hint after one or two times. A carpool is not a workplace, it is a social/functional arrangement. You may need to be a little tough. My 2 cents.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I think that you hit it perfectly, mention to him that it might be a bit more comfortable if he sat up front.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    How well do you know this person? I'm assuming not too well since you cant just tell them to get their azz up front, so yeah, pick em up last or something, right?

Registered
    Mar 2005

You must be kidding

Carpool? You get in your own 'merican made car like a good michiganian and drive yerself.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The only time I carpooled was with 4 large, middle-aged men, and except for the day I drove, they made me sit in the middle in back, with the hump in the floor, because I was "little". That lasted 6 weeks. Plus, one of them wouldn't run the a/c (in Florida?????).

Just tell the big guy that the most comfortable situation is with him in front. If he doesn't like it, he'll leave.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had carpool tunnel syndrome once. I went to the doctor and had it treated.

I carpooled for a few weeks after an earthquake in California. Never again.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Tilt toward the guy and fart a few times. He'll beg for the front seat.

But seriously, who doesn't want to be up front? I bet he's "being nice" by letting others ride shotgun, and would probably be fine with a change.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Or you can sit in the front

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Being a somewhat large person myself I guess I tend to be sensitive depending on the vehicle I am riding in with other people. This applies to really tall people as well. I never really have carpooled regularly but in my former job when we would have to go tour the field 5 or 6 of us would have to go. Depending on the mix of people was there we just sorted out without saying anything who would sit where for a maximum of comfort. I guess I would just ask the guy if he would be more comfortable sitting up front. I don't think he'd take offense to it.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A suggestion for highway signs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 11 Jul 2012, 3:22 PM
  2. Suggestion about signing threads
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 31 Jul 2008, 12:16 PM
  3. Forum Suggestion
    Cyburbia Issues and Help