Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Any European bands that were big in North America, but not on their home turf?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Any European bands that were big in North America, but not on their home turf?

"Well, they're big in Europe!"

It seems like a cliche in popular music: an American performer or band recieves almost no attention in their homeland, but they're wildly successful in the UK, Australia, or across Europe. There's plenty of examples: Suzi Quatro, Velvet Crush, The Pixies, and most progressive rock and black metal bands come to mind.

When examples of "they're popular in Germany" or "they topped the charts in New Zealand" performers are given, it's occasionally implied that American audiences are unsophisticated louts who can't recognize the talent of their own performers, while more intelligent, cultured, and sensitive foreigners can. Well, except in the case of David Hallselhof fans.

Has the reverse ever been the case? Has there ever been a foreign band or musicial artist that achieves wild popularity and fame in the US, but remains almost unknown back home in Europe?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Best one I can think of is actually from Canada - Chiliwack from the early '80's

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    "Well, they're big in Europe!"

It seems like a cliche in popular music: an American performer or band recieves almost no attention in their homeland, but they're wildly successful in the UK, Australia, or across Europe. There's plenty of examples: Suzi Quatro, Velvet Crush, The Pixies, and most progressive rock and black metal bands come to mind.

When examples of "they're popular in Germany" or "they topped the charts in New Zealand" performers are given, it's occasionally implied that American audiences are unsophisticated louts who can't recognize the talent of their own performers, while more intelligent, cultured, and sensitive foreigners can. Well, except in the case of David Hallselhof fans.

Has the reverse ever been the case? Has there ever been a foreign band or musicial artist that achieves wild popularity and fame in the US, but remains almost unknown back home in Europe?
    Hey, I remember back in the mid to late 90's that the Backstreet Boys were HUGE in Europe years before they were ever heard of back on this side of the pond.

Registered
    Nov 2001

Big in the U.S., not the U.K.

Bush, an English band, could barely fill a bar in the U.K. at the same time they simultaneously had two albums in the top 20 in the U.S.

Registered
    May 2003
    I suspect that a local band who makes it big in America would become popular in the host country because it made it big in America. It'd become a point of national pride.

What about the French and Jerry Lewis? Sophistication my ass.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I hear that David Hasselholf has a huge rock career in Europe.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    I'm not sure if you'll recognise any of these names;-

Gorillaz
    Coldplay
    Keane
    Stereophonics
    Radiohead

It was widely reported here (for some reason) when James Blunt got to number one in the States. Apparently the first British artist to crack the States in yeeeeeeears!

I also found this scientific analysis

http://hublog.hubmed.org/archives/001079.html

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I hear that David Hasselholf has a huge rock career in Europe.

Can we, for the purposes of this discussion, separate Britain from the rest of Europe?

Can we, for the purposes of this discussion, separate Britain from the rest of Europe?
    Absolutely not! You're connected by a chunnel.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Missy
    I'm not sure if you'll recognise any of these names;-

Gorillaz
    Coldplay
    Keane
    Stereophonics
    Radiohead

It was widely reported here (for some reason) when James Blunt got to number one in the States. Apparently the first British artist to crack the States in yeeeeeeears!

I also found this scientific analysis

http://hublog.hubmed.org/archives/001079.html

I think you and others are asnwering the opposite of Dan's question. Most of the bands everyone is listing are popular in both their home country and the US.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    Absolutely not! You're connected by a chunnel.
    But tunnels can be blocked

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    I think you and others are asnwering the opposite of Dan's question. Most of the bands everyone is listing are popular in both their home country and the US.
    Sorry but I wasn't sure if they were popular in States.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Oct 2012, 8:35 AM
  2. Internship in North America
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Aug 2010, 9:42 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2007, 12:53 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Jul 2003, 2:13 PM